Chapala.com Webboard

Scotia ATM FEES

Alpha1

1 minute ago, TelsZ4 said:

The Scotia ATM has always charged 9.5 peso per transaction for Scotia customers.

I've been using that machine for 8 years and P for 10. we are both Scotia clients and have never been charged before for using that machine. How many Scotia clients do you know?

39 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The Scotia ATM has always charged 9.5 peso per transaction for Scotia customers.

I have never been charged anything. However, that may have changed in the last year or so, because as I pointed out I haven't used it lately. What time frame are you talking?

The $9.50 of which you speak is an OPTIONAL charge.  It is the insurance you can purchase to protect you in the event that somebody comes up behind you and steals the cash you just withdrew (up to a maximum of $5000 MX).  You can select "No Thanks" at the correct prompt page if you do not want it.

I was charged the $3.50 fee yesterday and sent them a message immediately.  The reply I got back was as the first post above. I am arguing with them that I did not make a cash advance withdrawal as I used by debit card, and to my knowledge cash advances are done with credit cards.  I am awaiting their response to that.  I also mentioned that I have a retirement account which is supposed to have no fees on debit cards at least.

That is quite correct: the money in your account is simply cash, and can never be considered an "advance". (Have banks already forgotten that they save a potload of money as a result of installing ATMs, which are merely there to replace real people?)

Please let us know if you get any results. (However, my new debit card is also called a Scotia Visa card, and can be used like a credit card. So maybe the money came out of the wrong account? I have to say, often the screen display is not very clear as to your choices.)

2 hours ago, Ezzie said:

The $9.50 of which you speak is an OPTIONAL charge.  It is the insurance you can purchase to protect you in the event that somebody comes up behind you and steals the cash you just withdrew (up to a maximum of $5000 MX).  You can select "No Thanks" at the correct prompt page if you do not want it.

To all of the people that are complaining about being charged, PLEASE read Ezzie's post again!  The Scotiabank ATM beside Domino's has ALWAYS asked that question if you want to pay a 95 peso service charge.  JUST SELECT NO!  You still get your cash, but NO extra fee!!!!  I've always done that, and never been charged.

(Interesting. Will read the screen more closely next time... I do recall something appearing that I read too quickly, believing it to be a conditional statement of fact: "You will be charged 9.50 for this transaction". Thought it was mandatory. That will teach me, and thanks for the tip.)

EDIt: suegarn! So!! What is it?! A service charge? An insurance charge??!! A transaction fee??!! According to other posts, the 95p is for charity!!! No, wait, Educational! And not a service charge!!!!! PLEASE someone tell me THE TRUTH!!!!!!

UPDATE AS PER SCOTIA TODAY:

Khadra I: 10:08 AM

I completely understand ******, our IT department identified a technical issue where by customers were being incorrectly charged for withdrawals made from Global ATM Alliance

Khadra I: 10:08 AM

Rest assured a fix will be implemented as soon as possible.

As far as I can remember (for many, many years) Scotia ATM by Dominos have always had an optional SECURITY insurance charge for $9.50. I never understood what is this "security" for..... but If you'll choose "No thanks" option ( which we always do) you will not be charged anything. Would be interesting to know where this additional charge went to. We are Scotia Bank customers in Canada and there is not such an option in Canada..

• 2 weeks later...

If you used other ATM's during the 2 months the Scotia machine was down and were charged  $5.00 CDN on your Scotia account for using other foreign machines, ask for a refund on that too. If they refuse when talking to the call center talk to your branch or customer service manager. My friend and I had about $50 each refunded.

Archived