Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican wills

Don't forget that the notarios have offered discounts in the fall for mexican wills. Can't remember what month though. Your deed should have a beneficiary on it but to make doubly sure put it in a MX will. I would doubt the enforceability of a non-MX will and even if it is would the time, effort & money be worth it to the beneficiary, who may know squat about the area or who to contact especially if they reside elsewhere (US/Canada/Europe/...).

There is a better and cheaper way, there are many estate planning techniques that can save time and money.  A consultation with a good estate planning attorney who is bilingual will saves you lots of $$$.

It is important to do as Spencer suggested and he can explain the hierarchy of wills, i.e, your Canadian or US will compared to your Mexican will and the importance or relevance of each. There are lots of legal technicalities. Hence the need for a good lawyer. Spencer gets my vote not just for being a good lawyer and understanding all of these things, but for having integrity, as well. And, I am not just saying that because today is his birthday. But, Happy Birthday nonetheless, Spencer!

Archived