Chapala.com Webboard

Dr. Rigoberto Rios Leon

I have scheduled two cataract surgeries with Dr. Rios Leon.  I don´t know anything about him.  Could anyone give me information about him and about your experiences with him concerning cataract surgery specifically?  He makes it sound like a walk in the park and told me that the only risk is infection, which happens once in 100,000 procedures.  But are there better eyesight results and worse?  Any info would be greatly appreciated and I will be checking for PMs or e-mails if there are any negative comments that wouldn´t be appropriate to make public.  Thank you in advance.

Also do your research (IE: not limited exclusively to google but also talking to your doctor and getting second opinions), such as how long it takes to adjust to your new vision to the different types of lenses available and what you can realistically expect post surgery. You will notice differences, both positive and negative. DYODD.

1 hour ago, El Toro Furioso said:

I have scheduled two cataract surgeries with Dr. Rios Leon.  I don´t know anything about him.  Could anyone give me information about him and about your experiences with him concerning cataract surgery specifically?  He makes it sound like a walk in the park and told me that the only risk is infection, which happens once in 100,000 procedures.  But are there better eyesight results and worse?  Any info would be greatly appreciated and I will be checking for PMs or e-mails if there are any negative comments that wouldn´t be appropriate to make public.  Thank you in advance.

I tried to PM you, but it said you cannot receive messages. Try to PM me with your email address or open you message box. Before having this surgery.

You might want to use the search engine at the top of the page and search "Local Opthomologist Makes BIG Mistake" which was posted February 18th of this year.  Also agree that you might also want to get a second opinion.

Make sure that whoever you use is using the laser system that is only available here at Puerto Hierro Hospital and St. Lucia Clinic (I think I have spelled these correctly).  I don't believe the doctor you are considering at the moment uses this system (google "laser system for cataract surgery" and read about the benefits.

I had cataract surgery this year and am very pleased with the result.  I am sure you will be also under a really good surgeon's care.    

12 hours ago, Wookie said:

You might want to use the search engine at the top of the page and search "Local Opthomologist Makes BIG Mistake" which was posted February 18th of this year.  Also agree that you might also want to get a second opinion.

Make sure that whoever you use is using the laser system that is only available here at Puerto Hierro Hospital and St. Lucia Clinic (I think I have spelled these correctly).  I don't believe the doctor you are considering at the moment uses this system (google "laser system for cataract surgery" and read about the benefits.

I had cataract surgery this year and am very pleased with the result.  I am sure you will be also under a really good surgeon's care.    

Wookie which doctor did your surgery? I've heard the best doctors do the surgery at Puerto Hierro. Didn't know only they have the laser equipment.  Thanks for the heads up and let me know the name of your doctor and contact info. Thanks

Puerto de Hierro or Clinica Santa Lucia, a specialized eye clinic which, I think, is even better & many of the surgeons from P de H use it for that reason. It is also a bit more economical. I have had retina repairs there, as well as cataract lens replacements.  Ask your oftalmologogo about it.  I also found it cleaner than P de H, surprisingly.

Simpsca, please re-read my post ... there are two places in Guadalajara that have the laser equipment that is needed for cataract surgery.  

I have recommended this doctor several many times on this webboard.  She is excellent, speaks excellent English ... her receptionist does not speak English very well at all so you can either have someone call for an appointment or call Dra. Rodriguez on her cell.

Dra. Elizabeth Rodriguez Mendez; Tarascos 3469, Suite 101, Fracc. Monraz, Guadalajara;  Tel: (33) 3813-5088;  Cel: 04433-1124-4813; elizrm@gmail.com; www.retina-gdl.com

She has operated on my husband's macular fold and about 3 months ago she did my cataracts.  She is extremely good at what she does and you will not be disappointed.  She can operate at either location that has the laser system for cataracts.  We both went to Clinica Santa Lucia (which RVGringo pointed out is the correct name :) )

20 hours ago, Wookie said:

Simpsca, please re-read my post ... there are two places in Guadalajara that have the laser equipment that is needed for cataract surgery.  

I have recommended this doctor several many times on this webboard.  She is excellent, speaks excellent English ... her receptionist does not speak English very well at all so you can either have someone call for an appointment or call Dra. Rodriguez on her cell.

Dra. Elizabeth Rodriguez Mendez; Tarascos 3469, Suite 101, Fracc. Monraz, Guadalajara;  Tel: (33) 3813-5088;  Cel: 04433-1124-4813; elizrm@gmail.com; www.retina-gdl.com

She has operated on my husband's macular fold and about 3 months ago she did my cataracts.  She is extremely good at what she does and you will not be disappointed.  She can operate at either location that has the laser system for cataracts.  We both went to Clinica Santa Lucia (which RVGringo pointed out is the correct name :) )

Thank you Wookie!

• 2 weeks later...

Wookie wrote:  Dra. Elizabeth Rodriguez Mendez; Tarascos 3469, Suite 101, Fracc. Monraz, Guadalajara;  Tel: (33) 3813-5088;  Cel: 04433-1124-4813; elizrm@gmail.com; www.retina-gdl.com

My wife went with me to see her for a second opinion today re:  my impending cataract surgery.  She is a total delight, young, smart, confident, very good at explaining things, though she switched to Spanish when she found out that I understood it just as well if not better than her English.  She was very thorough, in fact, the most thorough of any of her specialty I've ever visited.  She is having a number of tests done, such as tomography of the cornea, to determine the exact lens requirements and specifications.  She explained that the lens cannot be selected accurately based on your vision alone, since it is influenced by the thickness of the cornea.  This thickness also affects the interpretation of intraocular-pressure measurements.  As I've said, my wife and I were impressed.  It will mean a lot of kilometers driving back and forth to Guadalajara for a couple of months, but I am convinced that it will be worth the temporary loss of convenience.  We expect that the surgeries will be done at Clinica Santa Lucia.  Thank you Wookie, so much for you recommendation.  We got some other very good ones too, and thanks for them too my other friends.  Back to Wookie, I described you and your experiences with her to Dra. Rodriguez and she recognized you immediately.  She told me your names, but I couldn't hear them, so I still don't know.

El Toro, tried to send you a PM but it says that you can't receive PM's.  So glad you are happy with Dr. Rodriguez ... she is certainly worth the drive.  If you need a driver we know of a couple of very good ones that we have used.  In fact, one of them drove us to Guadalajara for my surgeries as I am the one that does the driving in Guad.  Please let us know how things go ... was giving our phone number in the PM but would rather not post it on the open forum.

Wookie, I would really appreciate the numbers of your driver(s).  I´m having tests done on Monday and they tell me that I will not be able to drive after they are administered.  My Inbox was filled to the brim.  I have now deleted most of my old posts, so the PM ought to work again.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Lucky you. I had a trifocal lens put in one eye by the same doctor and I certainly need glasses for reading. He was not truthful before and after surgery.

Catrina Doll, I am sure that anyone reading your post is very glad for you.  However, dragging up this doctor's recent past is not going to really help him with a lot of people whether they have lived here for a long time or whether they are new.  There are several many people that were fortunate to have had a good outcome with this doctor, however, there are way too many that had really terrible outcomes.  I am sure he would rather you just let these stories die a natural death so he can just go on doing what he does.

I had surgery with Dr. Rios about 2 months ago for a severe cataract in my left eye. I read all the comments about the "big mistake" and after visiting his office I decided to use him for my surgery. 100% satisfied and I am going to have the other eye done soon.

My wife is also going to have both eyes done with Dr. Rios.

After consulting with him and going through my 1st surgery I have complete confidence in him.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kamytoo said:

You may not want to hear this but, the doctor you are suggesting ruined my eye when he did the cataract eye operation.  Have heard of many other people who have had their eyes ruined by him.  Yes, there may be some good operations he has done, but why take your chance?  For the rest of my life I will have an eye that is not good to me because of this person. Don't take the chance, pick another Ophthalmologist !

I just had both eyes done here in PV a month and a half ago. The consent form I signed was 3 pages long and went into excruciating detail all the possible complications that might occur. How sure are you that it was "doctor error"?

PS I know nothing about this particular doctor.

22 minutes ago, kamytoo said:

You may not want to hear this but, the doctor you are suggesting ruined my eye when he did the cataract eye operation.  Have heard of many other people who have had their eyes ruined by him.  Yes, there may be some good operations he has done, but why take your chance?  For the rest of my life I will have an eye that is not good to me because of this person. Don't take the chance, pick another Ophthalmologist !

I agree totally. I would not let him do my other eye if he paid me to do it. There are many good ophthalmologists around without taking a chance.

Archived