Chapala.com Webboard

Earl Update --,Rain -- Lots of it

Interesting radar image of rain band. It stretches from Gulf to the Pacific. Eye will hit Veracruz tomorrow but bands extend 125 miles outward . Headed our way at 8 mph . Top winds of 60mph are not expected to increase and should subside as it moves inland but we may get a wet weekend .

19 hours ago, giltner68 said:

I wouldn't bet too much on that, it's coming from the wrong direction to bring much. Generally we don't get much from that quadrant, by the time it gets over the mountains it's pretty thin, but time will tell.

Not trying to start a debate - but I don't think this is true. The Chapala rains have typically come from the lower Southeastern part of Mexico, where the land is fairly flat. They travel very quickly There are two Sierra Madre mountain ranges, one stops the rain coming from Gulf of Mexico, Texas area. The one to the West stops Eastern Pacific flows, but also the Southeastern flows, if they are strong enough, and these can cause a lot of damage Lakeside, but partially protects Guadalajara. It has been unpredictable the last couple years because of El Nina, now we are starting El Nino, which has caused a lot of flooding in the U.S.A. My hometown of Vancouver is safe - because it is perpetually waterlogged!

Archived