Chapala.com Webboard

Dengue Fever

My housekeeper, Ale, lives in Santa Cruz.  She informed me yesterday that her husband and both of her young children have dengue fever.  The doctor told her it was in Chapala and Ajijic as well.  It is mosquito season so be especially careful at the moment. 

There is a new active ingredient which replaces DEET and will not harm your clothes.  We are in the US for the summer and our granddaughters went fishing with a group.  Everyone used it.  No one got bitten although there were loads of mosquitoes around.  See the following:

Icaridin

Icaridin, 1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-­methylpropylester, is developed in the eighties by Bayer. Bayer AG is founded in Germany and registered already in 1899 the trademark “Aspirin”, now a common used word for drugs that reduce minor aches and pains. The active ingredient is used worldwide since 1998 and has several common names like Bayrepel, Picaridin or KBR 3023, but the WHO approved Icaridin as the official name. One of the mayor advantages of the product is that the use on all kind of fibers is guaranteed. Although it repels a broad spectrum of insects like the other actives, it is considered the perfect repellent for ticks. Just spray your socks, clothes or even your tent.

My wife and I just got back from the hospital on the carretera to Jocotepec. She was diagnosed with Dengue. We live off of La Paz in San Antonio, and frequent Riberas, Calle Santa Margarita. Be advised it is in the area! -

The doctor told me that El Chante is the worst at the moment, but that it is all over the lakeside. 

Archived