Chapala.com Webboard

Dengue alert for lakshore residents

Alpha1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I just got back from the hospital on the carretera to Jocotepec. She was diagnosed with Dengue. We live off of La Paz in San Antonio, and frequent Riberas, Calle Santa Margarita. Be advised it is in the area! -

The doctor told me that El Chante is the worst at the moment, but that it is all over the lakeside. 

The Dengue mosquito is a daytime biter, not at night like most mosquitoes.

http://www.denguevirusnet.com/aedes-aegypti.html

Aedes aegypti is a day biting mosquito. That means that the mosquito is most active during daylight, for approximately two hours after sunrise and several hours before sunset. The mosquito rests indoors, in closets and other dark places. Outside, they rest where it is cool and shaded. The males of all species of mosquitoes do not bite humans or animals of any species, they live on fruit. 

Amazon has mosquito netting like this that will ship to Mexico. It would be nice to buy if for gardeners who cannot afford to miss work because of illness.

Bug jacket.jpg

May the first step would be to buy mosquitoe repellents for the garners rate than a silly outfit they would never wear. I do not know about most gardners but mine wears long pants so you could save money by getting half a outfit, Maybe they should offer gloves as well to that outfit...

The municipality in Joco came yesterday and asked if they could spray in the houses on our road. One person said no. The rest of us signed the release form and stood outside for a ½ hour to let the spray do it's job. A light white dust was left behind, along with dead flies and some roaches...none of which we will miss

We were in East Maui during the 2001 Dengue outbreak.  Only two of us were symptomatic and only the same two tested positive.   (I jokingly credit Corona for testing negative and escaping the horrific symptoms.)   Two take-aways from that summer:  (1) The female Dengue carrying mosquito favors striking below the knees in the afternoons.  (2)Teens and younger have milder symptoms.    We have substantially reduced the in-house insect population here by not leaving terrace lights on,installing heavy duty screens on the doors and windows, and regularly adding anti-mosquito pellets to our pozos.

8 hours ago, Joco said:

The Dengue mosquito is a daytime biter, not at night like most mosquitoes.

as stated above :

On 8/13/2016 at 7:37 PM, bezerk said:

Wear bug repellant especially before/right after dusk and dawn..

14 hours ago, bmh said:

May the first step would be to buy mosquitoe repellents for the garners rate than a silly outfit they would never wear. I do not know about most gardners but mine wears long pants so you could save money by getting half a outfit, Maybe they should offer gloves as well to that outfit...

The package is only the netting, not the garments under the netting. The netting is sold for upper and lower. I am sure you can purchase gloves separately but gloves are sold here.

good advice. i have always been able to cure myself of many things, but you just never know when the help of another is needed. very critical to think ahead. i'm very concerned about it because i do like poking around in the lake. i'm always looking for a new plant to identify and i love to be around the birds. as a friend of mine told me "let us spray!"

17 hours ago, Joco said:

After dusk isn't going to help much since it doesn't bite at night.

Okay wear repellent before dawn, during and just after, also before and during dusk,  I sure hope the mosquito that carries this all of them also know not to bite at night and what time is night...  just wear the repellent,whether dengue carrying mosquito or not do you want mosquito bites??  

23 hours ago, Hud said:

Yes, unless you get the hemorrhagic dengue.

There is NO SUCH THING as  'hemhorrhagic Dengue".

There are 4 different strains of Dengue Virus:    DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3, and DENV-4.

Spreading myths about serious public health problems....  is not helpful.

ALL of the 4 different strains of Dengue can cause the same symptoms.

These symptoms range from almost no symptoms at all,   achy joints like mild flu ... to   rashes,   to fevers,   to minor bleeding from the nose or gums ...   up to and including hemorrhagic SYMPTOMS  of bleeding into the gut (GI system)   that manifests as vomiting congealed blood or passing hemoccult blood in the stools.

That's why it's important to monitor the patient's symptoms closely between Days 4 - 7 after the onset of fever,   because   EVERY ONE   of the 4 types of Dengue fever can include life-threatening hemorrhagic symptoms - that require platelet treatments,

I posted lots of the best WHO, CDC, UADY, and PAHO information on Dengue FACTS   in the other thread on Dengue.

I'll go find my prior posts,   and re-post here to hopefully   end    the mistaken advice.

Post #1 on Dengue FACTS:

Dengue Facts
1.  There are 4 strains of Dengue Virus:  DENV1, DENV2, DENV3, and DENV4.

2.  ALL 4 strains can/may lead to hemorrhagic symptoms in severe cases.  For that reason, watch Dengue patients carefully on Days 4 - 7 after the onset of fever (Day 1).

3.  90% of first time Dengue Virus infections show few symptoms or no symptoms.

4.  Infection by 1 of 4 Dengue strains gives protection against only that strain for 4 months.  

5.  It is possible to become infected by the other 3 strains during the meantime, and re-infection by the first strain is possible after 4 months.   

6.  Prior Dengue infections  almost universally cause any subsequent Dengue infections to have far worse symptoms with every reoccurence.   A single Dengue infection interferes with our subsequent immune responses to new Dengue infections, (see ADE theory for more details).
Each new  subsequent infection produces more severe symptoms, increasing the chances of possibly fatal Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) symptoms or Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS). (See Subneutralizing Antibodies for more details).

7.  Dengue infections take several forms:  No noted symptoms, ... mild symptoms like just a rash, ... flu-like symptoms, ... distinctive pain behind the eyes, ... high fevers (104ºF or 40ºC), or .... light bleeding from the nose or gums,  which sometimes transitions to:

a.  Potentially fatal Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) symptoms with bleeding from the eyes,   under the skin,  shock,   and GI bleeding that appears as vomiting congealed blood (looks like coffee grounds),  and abdominal pain with bleeding into the Gastro-Intestinal Tract.

8.  If you suspect a Dengue infection, do NOT take aspirin or NSAIDs (Alleve, Motrin, Advil, etc) or blood thinners like Warfarin/Coumadin, because blood thinners (like NSAIDs) can trigger catastrophic DHF bleeding. {

Instead Use Tylenol for pain .... and reduce high fevers (>104ºF or 40ºC) with cool compresses or lukewarm baths.  People taking blood thinners like Coumadin (warfarin) or Methotrexate should contact their physician to see if they should temporarily stop taking their meds.

9.  There can be as little as 4 days and as many as up to 3 week delay between the mosquito bite and onset of Dengue symptoms.  

10.  The key days for getting the Dengue “NS-1 test” are DAYS 1 -4 after onset of fever/symptoms.

11.  PRIMARY DENGUE INFECTIONS (First-Time Offenders):
It can be helpful to get tested for Dengue between Days 1 – 4, for NS-1 & platelet counts.  That way you know to pay special attention between Days 4-7 for the possibility of DHF or DSS symptoms.

12.  SECONDARY DENGUE INFECTIONS (Infected people who have already had a prior Dengue Infection):
In contrast to the NS-1 test, some commonly-used other lab-tests  do not detect Dengue until Day 10 after onset of symptoms, because prior Dengue infections heavily interfere with the patient’s immune response to the new infection.

These 12 facts are based on 30 years of Dengue research... and fit with all WHO, PAHO, & CDC guidelines.

More Dengue FACTS

Note that the Dengue Virus carrying mosquitoes (Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus)  are most active in the mornings ....
and sometimes in the evenings.

They love to hide down-low in cool dark places,  under our furniture,  under our desks,  under our beds,  to slip out and bite our feet and ankles,   so focus your best protection efforts  on feet and ankles  (cover with socks, long pants or spray DEET).

+ plus in our clothes closets (as they like the residual body smells on our stored clothing)

+ plus up by the ceiling.

==================================

Dengue Control Measures:
1.  The Dengue carrying mosquitoes Aedes aegypti (A. ae) need only a teaspoon of water that doesn’t evaporate for one week to convert eggs to free-flying adults at summer temperatures.

2.  They (A. ae. mosquitos) prefer clean water residues, like rain water in tinacos, bits of discarded plastic or styrofoam, flower pots, rubbish piles, old tires, old pipes, junk, rain water in unattended swimming pools, sink & floor drains, etc.

3.  The best methods for reducing Dengue risks is to kill or exclude mosquitoes (using screens) from living areas. When outside wear long pants and socks or use a repellent.

4.  Dengue’s transmission cycle can be broken by mosquito breeding controls: 
Seal or invert containers, ... put mosquito eating fish (gambusia, mollies, guppies, et al) into ponds or fountains .... or treat with Abate ... or ammonia, chlorine, or copper.   Finally:  Eliminate even small amounts of water that stands for a week or more.

5.    Once an A.ae. adult female gets Dengue virus, they can transmit it through biting humans for the rest of their little lives: 1 month – 6 months.

6.  Dengue Transmission occurs as a chain of events.  Break just one link of the chain and Dengue transmission ends.

a.  Uninfected female A. ae. finds febrile Dengue infected Human.
b.  Female A. ae. bites the febrile Dengue Human.
c.  Female A. ae mosquito hides and rests for 3-4 days.
d.  Dengue virus moves into the A. ae. mosquito’s salivary glands.
e.  Female A. ae. mosquito lays eggs in water.
f.  The now Dengue-infected female A. ae. mosquito finds human and bites human.
g.  Mosquito eggs hatch and develop into adults in 7 days at Yucatan temperatures.
h.  Newly hatched female mosquito has sex with male mosquitoes.
i.  infected female goes in search of new blood meals, possibly infecting the person she bites.

If you break or interrupt any single link in this chain, Dengue transmission stops.

e.g.   Dump the water out of the little plate under your flower pot,  and gently scrub it,  to remove both larvae & eggs...

The same sorts of facts also apply to Chikungunya  and Zika virus infections, which are carried by the Dengue carrying   Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus  mosquitoes.

Thanks to Yucalandia.com for all this  good current  Dengue information.  

Here's a link to more details:

Chikungunya, Zika & Dengue Virus Information

Also note that outdoor public spraying programs for   Aedes aegypti  control   are historically  notably ineffective.

As posted above,   Aedes ae females love to hide    under our beds,   under our furniture,   under our desks,   and in our clothes closets.

Public spraying simply does NOT reach these key places.

Then note that the breeding sites for mosquitoes   (in our walled*in gardens) ... in bits of plastic or styrofoam ... under plants,.  are also generally NOT penetrated with enough   by the  public insecticide sprayed droplets   to kill the adult Aedes ae  females.

Just as we finally won the battle against Yellow Fever  by eliminating mosquitoes breeding sites,    cleaning up & treating breeding sites is our best weapon at ending  the Dengue outbreak.

Archived