Chapala.com Webboard

Mr. P's street

There is a video on the Chapala Government's page on facebook. This street,MR CROWE, is in historical Lourdes barrio,Chapala. All the houses were painted including Mr P's,new sewer,water lines light standards ,sidewalks,paved road surface and a mural of the Lourdes chapel at the top. It was all done without one person complaining about the previous condition except the former sewer situation, from time to time when there was a heavy rain.Mr. P is the only foreigner on the street.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we talking about the street that has stairs? Then untrue. I know a married American couple on that very street. I worked on their computers while the upgrades were in progress, short months ago. A very cool-looking street now.

If you lived in this municipio you would know what the problem is.

But you don't.

I'm trying to figure out what the point of the sideways comment about "complaints" is.  Is the OP suggesting that expecting and asking for the services the municipio is paid for from a pretty rich tax base that has seen taxes and "fees" (cover word for more taxes) is complaining and the municipio retaliates by withholding said services?

And why does it matter who lives on the road?  Are services passed out by this municipio on the basis of the nationality of the residents?

If that is the point, I guess the OP and his neighbors must be doing a lot of complaining because, boy, is that road in front of their homes full of baches these days. :D

12 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

If that is the point, I guess the OP and his neighbors must be doing a lot of complaining because, boy, is that road in front of their homes full of baches these days. :D

There are no baches in the nice new concrete and flat stone road. That would be impossible and you have told us that you're an engineer so you will be pleased to know that the road bed was prepared properly, for the 8 inch surface of concrete and "flat" field stones carefully placed aesthetically, with sand and gravel. Apparently you are also not comprehending my OP where I said there weren't  complaints except for a sewer problem.

That road is a busy highway, squeezed into a box, then smack dab beside Mr. P's house, the biggest dammed tope from Chapala to SJC. Fine if like you like constant jake braked trucks, vehicles with no mufflers, and waves of exhaust fumes - wait - that suits Mr. P to a T. Is Mr P trolling for a sale?

It is a street going north off Hidalgo a few blocks west of Delicias restaurant. Recently there was an article about it in the Guadalajara Reporter. They said it was the only street in the area named after a foreigner. He was a eccentric Englishman by the name of Septimius Crowe. He came to the area in 1895.

I watched them reconstructing that street and I was amazed that they would spend so much time  and money on a small street that goes nowhere.

Yeah, dont fix Hidalgo street which is a main street and keep fixing small dead end streets where the benefit or detriment to the population is little to none. 

The cost wasn't little.  I wish I could remember the millions that were spent on that dead end street but it was obscene.  Hildago, the main road into Chapala from the west is horrible.  Down by Spencer's office the asphalt doesn't reach the sidewalk.  Big holes full of water or mud, etc.  Not counting all the holes and crappy patch jobs all the way from the Chapala light to the west of Ajijic.  It's disgraceful for a town carretera to be in such horrible condition when they are trying to attract tourists.  And now they are trying to get Ajijic declared a Pueblo Magico!  A lot of street work and garbage pick-up work will have to be done to even have a chance to qualify.  When pigs fly!

The local government has learned over the years that they don't need to spend much money in areas where extranjeros live. The extranjeros will, when they get tired of things needing repair,  collect money and get them repaired or fixed, thus saving the local government money they can put into their pockets. I also find it very easy for the local government to do some local improvements and "spend" lots of money. (Anyone remember the hundreds of thousands of dollars the "Pepe" statue in Chapala cost. Easy to "spend" the entire budget on just a few "simple" things. Mexico changes, but never changes. :(

They are sure spending a lot of money to clean up the Libramento. New signs, professional weed whackers, newly painted lines, legions of garbage picker uppers. Best of all (not) a new stop sign where the exit of the Carretara and Libramento meet - good honey spot for transitos, they can park just wait you can't quite see them.

I seem to remember that the carretera is a state highway, and thus the municipal authorities cannot make repairs--the state must do this. I do see people fill potholes with gravel, and the school in west Ajijic painted lines on the road to slow traffic. I also seem to remember that the carretera is scheduled for resurfacing within the next 2 years. Is this not so?

just for interest yesterday around 1330 there was a serious accident at the overpass where the Carretera crosses the libramiento. Ambulance and several police cars on site. it looked like someone ran into the overpass supports.

8 minutes ago, Alfa said:

just for interest yesterday around 1330 there was a serious accident at the overpass where the Carretera crosses the libramiento. Ambulance and several police cars on site. it looked like someone ran into the overpass supports.

Probably caused by someone rubber necking the amazing new stop sign, not paying attention to the road. Any bets on how long the sign will last - I say two weeks.

In the fall of 2004, a Canadian died at that spot. His dog survived the crash and spent many weeks in the bush above Ajijic, before “adopting us“.  That overpass support is on a curve, and is frequently hit by vehicles with inattentive or speeding drivers.

Archived