Chapala.com Webboard

Corruption in Ajijic?? or just a perception?

Has anyone else received this??
Hola amigos,

I received an invitation last week from Chapala’s Ministerio Publico to have a discussion with Yolanda (Yoli) Martinez Llamas, owner of an Ajijic beauty salon, and president of the Chapala Cruz Roja. Attendance was voluntary, and the invitation didn’t say what the subject matter was. I had no reason or purpose to meet with her, and was too busy working, so I didn’t attend. Oddly, I received word today that since I didn’t attend the meeting, the next step for me would be immigration. If this means deportation, then this is harassment.

Unfortunately, local bullies and criminals often prefer to bribe corrupt officials using money and/or sex to harass people instead of being civilized. We all lose when that happens. Yes, we are just guests here, but we’re part of a community that we expect to have a basic decency. It’s a tourist town, after all, not the Wild West.

So, can she really have me deported? I don’t know. I have anecdotal information that she has done it before. In this case, though, since you now know about this threat in advance, and since I have a pretty sizeable email distribution list that I can use from the US, she may decide against it.

But, if she decides to use corruption instead of civility, at least the community will know which beauty salon to avoid.

I'll keep you posted if this goes any further. 

Lisa Jorgensen

FritzLeona, I'm not sure why you copied and pasted Lisa's email into this forum.  No one except for Lisa knows what exactly happened, so you could also be harming a local business by spreading this around without the facts.

Please consider deleting this until more facts are known.

FritzLeona, I'm not sure why you copied and pasted Lisa's email into this forum.  No one except for Lisa knows what exactly happened, so you could also be harming a local business by spreading this around without the facts.

Please consider deleting this until more facts are known.

Suegarn,

If there are more facts, Lisa should not have sent this notification out for public consumption.  I don't think it would be my place to delete this, but Lisa's place to have never posted it without more facts.  I am new to this area, and I find things like this to be very unpleasant and upsetting.  (Were all those friends who warned me about the bad stuff in Mexico right?)  I was hoping some of the longer term residents had some clues as to what this is about, how serious it is, and if I should be alarmed or not.  Thank you for helping me to understand what is going on in Ajijic.

Well, I replied to Lisa with some advice, which was basically to bury this whole thing--don't antagonize, but see an atty. as a backup. I would be happy if the mod just deleted this thread. My view is that some people get angry and may make threats they don't mean. (Who, me? Threaten to cut off what where???) Hopefully this is the case here. SIGH--I don't think you can be deported for failing to attend a press conference, folks.

Guest bennie2

local entertainment. thanks for posting :). these things usually happen to busy bodies. am i on to something? drama queens drama queens. plus the orginal letter from the MP was not posted. 

Fritz, This is not harassment or bullying, this is how Mexican law works. The meeting is voluntary unless you do not show up. Then it becomes not voluntary. If she thinks she will intimidate the MP or a well-known and respected member of the Mexican community she is sadly mistaken. Intimating that someone is bribing the MP with money or sex is unbelievably stupid. Since she purports to not know what the meeting was about why would she say something like that?

it sounds as as though this woman has gotten herself into some trouble and is now digging the hole deeper. She is attempting to rile up foreigners and is making a fool out of herself.

Yes, I received it in an email from Jorgensen. More fuzzy-on-the-facts drama from Lisa. But a very worrisome email.

Why would the Chapala Ministerio  Publico "invite" Lisa Jorgensen to have a "discussion" with Yoli Martinez, the owner of a beauty shop and prez of Cruz Roja? 

She doesn't accept the invite and now she's being "harrassed" regarding maybe deportation? And Yoli is doing this??? Yoli has done it before, according to Lisa's anecdotal information. This is an outrageous claim to make.

We're not really guests here. We're foreigners qualified to be here by meeting the requirements set by the Mexican government. If Lisa has a problem, she wouldn't be hearing about it from Yoli or the officials in Chapala.

This is Lisa Jorgensen's most unbalanced pronouncement yet. She now sounds like a mentally troubled person. And she may find herself in serious trouble if she continues to send out emails like this one.

Lexy

This was not a press conference.  This type of meeting is part of the Mexican legal process.  If there is a dispute or a charge made, the parties are invited to meet with the MP to talk about it and, hopefully, reach an agreement or settlement. If no settlement is reached a lawsuit or criminal charges may be filed. Lisa needs to get smart fast.

Guest bennie2

assumed the author was in the US? dont know what yoli has to do w/this. was yoli mentioned in the book?     her family? someone went to the MP. she should have gone down there w/a lawyer. why is she still living here? the lady is not too smart. 

I have known Yoli since 1999. She is a really hard worker and is respected by many extranjeros (both women and men frequent her salon.) She does know the law and is a survivor, and will not allow anyone to run over her. This Lisa is putting herself into harms way with the Mexican Law, as "free speech " here is not as "free" as NOB, and she better have plenty of proof if she continues to slander Yoli, or she better get out of Mexico fast, before they come for her. She has made her bed, but she will not enjoy sleeping in it.

If Yoli is not careful gringoes will stop giving to C.Roja.   Yoli has already alienated me with the handling of the gringo volunteer group and I won't donate anymore.  The truth is both have probably said or done things I wouldn't do. Is this two strong personalities fighting it out without using common sense?  This is a battle both will lose in one way or another.   

Very sad to me and very silly so who will blink first?

Lisa mentioned in some expose email thing she is doing she talked about a tenant of the Plaza taking control from the owner and holding the property hostage for money with the heirs.  It was pretty clear who she was referring to in that anonymous "story".  Its foolish to ignore any summons from a government agency.  Dumb bunny. Lisa's been trying to find a way into a marketable business here for a couple years and she just becomes more and more of a muckraker.

Archived