Chapala.com Webboard

Flying back to the States

kosika

I was just catching up on my webboard reading and I saw where someone said that people flying with tourist or temp/perm status have different procedures to follow at the airport.

I have just received my temporal and will be going back to the States in Nov for a week. What is it that I need to know now that I am no longer a tourist?

Thank you

1. Request extension of your foreign car‘s Importada Temporal, if you have one. It must be done within 15 days of getting your Residencia Temporal Visa, or you will lose your deposit and have an illegal car. Do that again when your renew your visa.  Before going Permanente, remove that car from Mexico & buy a replacement that is Mexican since new and plated in your state in Mexico.

2. Always carry your new visa card.  Show it at the airport & NEVER fill out an FMM as a tourist or visitante, as it will void your visa. Mark it with your correct visa status.

12 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

1. Request extension of your foreign car‘s Importada Temporal, if you have one. It must be done within 15 days of getting your Residencia Temporal Visa, or you will lose your deposit and have an illegal car. Do that again when your renew your visa.  Before going Permanente, remove that car from Mexico & buy a replacement that is Mexican since new and plated in your state in Mexico.

2. Always carry your new visa card.  Show it at the airport & NEVER fill out an FMM as a tourist or visitante, as it will void your visa. Mark it with your correct visa status.

I have to disagree in part on #2 above.  When you get to the airport go first to the INM window next to the international arrivals/customs exit area.  You will get an FMM form at the window to fill out.  Write Residente Temporal at the top of it.  Return to INM window and hand over th le FMM form, your Residente Temporal card, and your passport.  They will stamp these things to you after stamping your passport and scribbling something on the FMM.  Now go to the airlines counter to check in.  They will staple the smaller (bottom) part to your boarding pass and return the larger (top) part to you.  Put the larger part in a safe place as you will surrender it to immigration when you return.  The airline will take the bottom part as you board the plane.  On your return take the FMM form give out on the flight so you can fill it out before leaving home on your next trip.

Hope that clarifies what to do at the airport.

A tip for your next flight out of Mexico after this one:. Always take the FMM form that they hand out on the flight on your return to Mexico. You won't need to complete it at that time to enter Mexico, as you have the larger too portion of the FMM form you completed and had stamped at the INM ventanilla when you left GDL. That is what you present along with your passport and Mexican Residente Temporal visa card when you come into immigration upon your return. However, that new blank FMM can be kept until you fly out of the country next time. You can have it completed before you arrive at the airport and it can speed up things for you at the INM ventanilla line.

You can ask for a couple so you can have then done in advance. Funny story.... I used one all filled out when exiting at Laredo and the imigration officer couldn't believe I had one ready without him handing me a blank. Asked me in a very serious maner how I was able to obtain a blank form. Even looked close to see if it was a forgery. I watched as the other officer handed one to someone he held their passport. Seems they aren't aware that airlines hand them out like tissue paper.

Just to eliminate any confusion, if you are asking what process you should follow the next time you exit Mexico via the airport, then follow this:

1. You need to go the the INS window at the airport at the far end by where international flight passengers exit.  You'll see it, it is just past the last airline ticket counter to the right (facing).
  2. At the window you'll present your passport and temporal, the person behind the window will hand you a Tourist Visa form to complete.  When it is completed they will tear off the bottom portion, stamp and date it, and hand it back to you.  Then proceed to the airline ticket window.
  3. The airline ticket window will need this portion of the form to process your ticket, no form no boarding pass.  That is it, INS window, get form stub and your done.

What they were describing earlier is that when you are flying back to Mexico, if you can get a couple blank Tourist Visa forms you can speed things up at the INS window by handing them the completed form along with passport & temporal.  

Hope this was what you were wanting.  Went through the same as you when we got our first Temporal, I think everyone does.

Archived