Chapala.com Webboard

Insect Bites

leem

I've been here for one week and am bothered by red itchy insect bites on my ankles and lower legs.  Some of them are quite small but other areas are almost like a rash--strips about an inch long.  I am quite sure they are not mosquito bites.  Topical Benadryl isn't helping much.  Any suggestions?

You can buy ANDANTOL gel (in a small tube) without a prescription at any pharmacy.  It only takes a dab to stop the itching.

I feel certain that what's been biting you is no-see-ums.  Their favorite spot to attack is lower legs and ankles, and they itch like fury.  Andantol will definitely help.

I don´t know if they are in the Lakeside area, but in PV area there are what they call guinas (sp?). They are a type of teeny tiny tick that most commonly hang out in tall grass, etc. They are really hard to see on your skin, they are brownish and just look like a little speck. They itch like mad, love the back of the knees, and other places which tend to get sweaty. If you´ve been walking in tall grass or weedy areas, or around cows or horses, which they seem to like, get in the shower when you get home, and scrub yourself hard all over with a washcloth, which will get rid of them. But the bites continue to itch terribly for about a week, so you will think you still have them. They are not dangerous (don´t carry Lyme disease), just excruciatingly annoying. Covering your feet, legs, any part which will be exposed, with vaseline before going for a walk in a brushy area will make it impossible for them to attach themselves to you. 

There is a product called "AfterBite" that was the best I've ever seen to relieve the itch.  It smelled like ammonia.  I researched it in the internet and found that ammonia is a superior product for anti-itch.  Last time in the US I bought a half gallon and have been using it.  I apply it with a Q-tip once to an itchy spot and it never itches again.

22 hours ago, bradshoe said:

Could be fleas or chiggers too.  ANDANTOL is like magic!

Andantol is a topical antihistime  like Topical Benedryl but maybe it has a different formula.  I would try the Andantol.  Go to the pharmacy on the plaza in Ajijic and show him the rash. They also sell the Andantol. 

Archived