Chapala.com Webboard

Construction Costs

ibarra

We just received quotes from two contractors with a surprising difference of about 50%. We are enclosing our mirador  57.6 sq m at a cost from 275000 to 414000 pesos. The latter included IMSS for the workers but no permit. The latter quote works out to be $42/ sq ft at today's exchange rate.

We are seeking legal advice from Spencer... The rules in Mexico are certainly different than up North. It appears that the property owner is responsible for permitting, health/accident coverage for all who work on the project. Normally this is handled by the contractor up north. I am sure there are other potential "gotch yas"; hence the need for legal advice...

Since this is an addition, there is no land costs involved... Buying land again requires legal advice..

If you hire a US-style contractor that charges for labor, materials and his profit the cost will be vastly different from a Mexican-style contractor who will only charge you for labor and materials.

2 hours ago, bdmowers said:

If you hire a US-style contractor that charges for labor, materials and his profit the cost will be vastly different from a Mexican-style contractor who will only charge you for labor and materials.

Mexican style contractors don't make a profit? 

18 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I think what is meant is that they can quote you time and materials style, or a fixed bid.  Our Mexican contractor worked on time, materials and a percentage for his profit. The quotes can vary dramatically from one contractor to the next.  Try to get some referrals from people they have worked for RECENTLY. 

Depending on how "hands on" you are and what level of Spanish proficiency you have, you can save money by buying the materials yourself and just paying labor and IMSS costs. And building costs vary considerably depending on what materials and finishes you are after. Make sure you get your building quote in written form listing exactly what it will cover. Many folks get hit with " Oh, the quote didn't include (fill in the blank)" in the end game if you neglect to do this.

We used JP Construction (see separate posting).  They got all permits and took care of all legalities.  They have 40 permanent workers.  Their attention to detail was superb and the whole project was 'turn key' to us.  Their estimates are free and their office is in Handy Mail.  Ask for Juan Paul or Jurgen.  They build new homes as well as remodels and have experience with the loose soil in Brisas.

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

There may be some that do, but ones we got bids from, work strictly time and materials. Their "profit" is in charging for their labor. 

75 to 100 usd a square foot ibarra.   Personally I would never go with a contractor who didn't cover his employees with IMSS and I would withold a final payment until provided with a finiquito but that's just a thought I had not something you asked about.

On August 1, 2016 at 10:44 PM, vista lake said:

$6000 to $6500 pesos, per square meter. aprox....

Agree and max 8000 p. Those quoting up to $100 a sq ft equals over 20,000 pesos a sq meter. 

Archived