Chapala.com Webboard

We had a client with a dispute and she felt something was off with a care facility where her friend was at and had a dispute with them.  This place boasted to be the only licensed place lakeside and as it turns out, wasn´t even on the list of registered facilities.

COPRISJAL ( Comisión para la Protección Contra Riesgos Sanitarios del Estado de Jalisco) is the agency who regulates and registers care facilities.  After speaking with my client, in March 2016, I made a request under the transparency laws to COPRISJAL asking for the names of all the facilities registered in the Municipality of Chapala (list does not cover Jocotepec).

They responded with the following 6 facilities in the municipality of Chapala:

1) Casa de Descanso el Paraiso on Paseo de la Loma in La Floresta

2) Alicias on Paseo del Lago in La Floresta

3) Asilo   on Colinas del Manglar in Colinas del Manglar

4) Alicias on Calle del Lago in La Canacinta

5) Casa de Ancianos de Chapala Alicias on Zaragoza in Chapala

6) Casa de Descanso para Ancianos Desamparados on Santa Margarita in Riberas

10 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

These facilities are registered with the state agency but not licensed?  Are there even licenses in Mexico with inspections, etc.?

Yes there are licensed facilities.  We were at Mi Casita about 6 months ago when the inspectors were there for the final check to issue license. 

There are facilities registered with COPRISJAL and this is the state health agency.  If a facility isnt licensed then it is just a dorm with mess hall area (like for college students) and not a regulated medical facility.  There are municipal business licenses but they really mean little and their purpose is tax revenue and no real medical oversight or standards to be followed.  People who want more then a dorm setting should use a business that is registered with COPRISJAL as there are inspections and for violations they can lose their registration which hopefully will deter violations.

I just made new request to have an updated list prepared for the Municipalities of Ixtlahuacan, Chapala and Jocotepec.  I will publish when I get it in about 2 weeks. 

The term license in Mexico is misused.  Professionals have cedulas, such as attorneys, doctors, architects and accountants.  Many people say they have a license which is simply a business license which costs 200 pesos from the municipality and anybody can get one by turning in copies of papers.  There is really no qualification needed except maybe if you sell alcoholic beverages or have some sort of restricted trade and it is rare when a license is lost or canceled.

Being registered with the State health agency does mean inspections and having to meet standards and qualify, also if you dont run things well you can lose that registration.

This is the big difference, really without the registration it is like living in a college dorm, you have living areas and a common eating area.  This is why there may be 10 times as many places where an older person can live and have someone cook meals but only 6 are registered. 

Many people drop off their kids at a college dorm and then fly to Chapala to visit their parents at a dorm facility, the only difference may be more beer drinking at the college dorm than the ones their parent is at. 

Each serves its purpose but if someone has medical as well as lodging and care needs then better to look for a facility that is registered with the health authorities.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a request for an updated list and also asked for the registered facilities in Jocotepec and Ixtlahuacan.  The response dated August 15, 2016 stated there are no registered facilities in Ixtlahuacan and Joco only has one

Jocotepec

1) Ancianitas de Santa Clara as Asis AC Carretera a Morelia KM 89

Chapala´s list remains the exact same with

1) Casa de Descanso el Paraiso on Paseo de la Loma in La Floresta

2) Alicias on Paseo del Lago in La Floresta

3) Asilo   on Colinas del Manglar in Colinas del Manglar

4) Alicias on Calle del Lago in La Canacinta

5) Casa de Ancianos de Chapala Alicias on Zaragoza in Chapala

6) Casa de Descanso para Ancianos Desamparados on Santa Margarita in Riberas

Archived