Chapala.com Webboard

Last day for free Windows 10 upgrade

joanne

Very curious to see what happens after midnight tonight with the Windows 10 upgrade that Microsoft has been pushing on the users of the other operating systems.

Best to change your Windows update settings from automatic back to "let me choose which updates to install", at least for today. Set on Automatic you could

possibly wind up with Windows 10 installed on your computer tomorrow.

From the research I've done, buying a computer with Windows 10 already installed is far less problematic than taking the free update on your Windows 7, 8,

or 8.1 OS.

Anyone have any opinions on this subject?

When I bought my Windows Pro 4 book, it had a clean Win 10 on it. It is fantastic. Very fast and great. especially if you have a touch screen. Earlier I purchased a then new Win 8.1  touch screen 15 inch laptop. No trouble there either when I upgraded to the much better Win 10.  I hear though, that updating from Win 7 often is not problem free

I upgraded from 7 to 10 on a 3 year old quad core Toshiba laptop several weeks ago. Had no problems at all and it seems to be a bit faster on some functions. While I don't have a ton of 3rd party software on it, I do have some fairly obscure programs (Movie-Maker, H&R Block, Garmin Express etc), and all are running as before. Bottom line is that I had no hiccups with the transition and I'm happy.  A friend 'just' upgraded on two laptops, including one just this morning, the last day, and his went smoothly also.

2 hours ago, joanne said:

Very curious to see what happens after midnight tonight with the Windows 10 upgrade that Microsoft has been pushing on the users of the other operating systems.

Best to change your Windows update settings from automatic back to "let me choose which updates to install", at least for today. Set on Automatic you could

possibly wind up with Windows 10 installed on your computer tomorrow.

From the research I've done, buying a computer with Windows 10 already installed is far less problematic than taking the free update on your Windows 7, 8,

or 8.1 OS.

Anyone have any opinions on this subject?

You won´t end up with Windows 10 on your computer tomorrow on "automatic upgrade". You will not be able to upgrade to Windows 10 tomorrow for free. Tomorrow and there after you will need to pay to get the Windows 10 upgrade.

Microsoft installed that GWX.exe a year ago and it has been annoying me ever since (I know there is a script to remove it), lets see if they are as efficient at removing it on the next security upgrade.     I noticed about a week ago, they included a box labelled DISMISS that stopped the annoying upgrade screen from constantly popping up.    ; And even more annoying is that I am not eligible for the upgrade, yet they constantly pester me

Archived