Chapala.com Webboard

Desperately Looking for a Home!

Spex

A plea for help.

After spending (and owing) mucho deneros on medical tests and procedures Laurie and I found ourselves unable to find the cash for "first, last and deposit" to rent a new place at the end of our lease. Laurie placed an ad on Beg Borrow Buy and Sell requesting a house sitting job. Our prayers were answered By Pat Moir who needed someone to look after her 5 cats and wonderful home. We arranged that Laurie and I would stay and care for said cats and home until the end of October. Perfect! We had a place and would be able to save the money for a new home of our own come November. Pat said she had wanted to make a difference in our lives and was eager to help us.
Unfortunately Pat, the wonderful woman that she was, passed away enroute to Canada where she was going to spend time with family after losing her husband.
      Her daughter ,Kim, arrived to take stock of the house and grieve. Things were still on course for us to stay in the house as Pat wished. When the step son arrived,Kyle, all Hell broke loose. They both now want us to vacate. Unfortunately we neither have somewhere to go or the money to deal with a new rental. Mexican law states that they need to give us 3 months notice whether we had a signed contract or not due to basic possession of the house. I haven't the heart to get into an ugly battle with someone who has just lost her Mom even though apparently have every right to.
        We both understand the agony these folks are going through but to toss us to the street is beyond uncompassionate. Pat herself I believe would be appalled at this. She was a woman of her word and this would go against the grain of her core values.
    Kyle has offered us some pittance of financial aid just to speed up the process but it will not be enough. So once more we are putting out the feelers for a house sitting gig ( which we are willing to pay for) or a rental that requires no first and last. We can pay up to $700 a month.
    We are BEGGING someone out there to help us find a place post haste. Laurie is in California right now for medical reasons and I am left here to feel like a leper in a home that was supposed to be ours for 3 months.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get us off the streets!

My email is  spexmex@yahoo.ca    phone number is  331 433 1408   Thank you in advance for any and all help.

13512123_10157278759490727_4317177709727823008_n.jpg

I suggest you check with some of the less expensive local B&B's .(Ajijic Suites?; Laguna B&B?)  There is a hotel in Chapala with low monthly rates for furnished suites.(Hotel Perico(?)) This way, you would avoid the "first, last and deposit" problem until you find a more permanent home.  Good luck!

Second on Hotel Perico, low season rates, under $300 per month, lots of outdoor areas, very peaceful, poolside kitchen. They have a private shuttle van, going into Wal Mart, etc, but after time, you may need a vehicle. This is just my opinion, but I think house sitting opportunities are very scarce here. The taxes are almost non-existent, a property manager supervising an occasional cleaner and gardener are very affordable. Many people worry about "squatters" here, and just don't want the hassle.

http://www.hotelperico.com.mx/en/

I would suggest you hit the streets looking for se renta signs here in Chapala, since rent can be dramatically cheaper here vs Ajijic.  Also, this is the best time of year to search since it is the low season.  Many people claim to have found small houses to rent for as low as $250 dollars here in Chapala.  Although, it may require lots of searching and patience to find one that low or lower, but it is possible.  Good Luck!

Very good suggestions about both the Hotel Perico and rentals in Chapala.  I'd also extend that rental look to Riberas.

I have friends who use the Perico regularly and they all swear by it.  It is cheap, basic but clean and the folks who run it are very decent and helpful.  A number of buses pass by their driveway, I don't know if you can flag one down or not.

I also know a couple of guys who rent a decent apartment in Chapala for dirt cheap from a Mexican landlord.

You might point out to these folks that if they intend to put the house on the market, having it occupied and kept clean and inviting and accessible will certainly help in selling it.  

Well I am not realtor, and I don't even play one on T.V., but the realtors seem to be suggesting a house that sells must be rid of all the nicknacks. Show off soaring ceilings, which so many homes have here, the empty spaces, the blue sky. Having people living there just complicates things, that don't need to be complicated. Some landlords and property owners have to decide if they are selling or renting. The two big terms I would recommend in your next long/short time rental that if the landlord puts the place up for sale, that is immediate grounds to terminate the lease and get your deposits back.. The second one is the right to get out of the rental agreement if one of the partners passes on.

18 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Well I am not realtor, and I don't even play one on T.V., but the realtors seem to be suggesting a house that sells must be rid of all the nicknacks. Show off soaring ceilings, which so many homes have here, the empty spaces, the blue sky. Having people living there just complicates things, that don't need to be complicated. Some landlords and property owners have to decide if they are selling or renting. The two big terms I would recommend in your next long/short time rental that if the landlord puts the place up for sale, that is immediate grounds to terminate the lease and get your deposits back.. The second one is the right to get out of the rental agreement if one of the partners passes on.

NOB realtors give the same advice:  Put away the family photos and trophies, along with knicknacks.  If someone really wants to sell, get rid of the occupants, too, and "stage" the place:  spotlessly clean and ready for the lookers to imagine themselves living there.  When I was doing some real estate investing NOB, I could not believe the conditions I sometimes saw.  And another thing to consider: renters bring in desirable income, but they can kill a sale, too.  Their interest is NOT in seeing the place sold, since that means they'll have to move out.

I agree that the rental agreement should include terms that cover the matter of death of any of the signatories as well as the lease termination if the landlord puts the place up for sale. 

I am not sure, but the way I read the OP is that this was a cat/house sitting job ... not a rental.  I am not even sure that anyone does a contract for a sitting job.  However, I for one will certainly think twice before again having sitters in my home after seeing the problems that have arisen here. 

16 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I am not sure, but the way I read the OP is that this was a cat/house sitting job ... not a rental.  I am not even sure that anyone does a contract for a sitting job.  However, I for one will certainly think twice before again having sitters in my home after seeing the problems that have arisen here. 

I wonder about the arrangements people make for "sitters": some of whom charge for their services, some who don't and some who pay for the sit job.  IMO, there should be a written agreement of some kind before letting people move into your house under any terms.  The possible downsides are legion.

It is good to know that a house sitter can be considered a tenant with the full protection of the tenant-favored Mexican laws. House sitting arrangements here sometimes are made pretty haphazardly and with a lot of trust. I hope more people pay attention to stories like the OP and think about in just how many ways things can go really wrong. 

Spex, Lots of good suggestions here for less than half of what you say you can afford. Why beat yourself up? Do the decent thing and let the family grieve. It's them that have suffered real loss and are the true victims here as near as I can see. Decency aside, the passing of the homeowner has to be a game changer on its own I'd think.

4 minutes ago, tramp said:

Spex, Lots of good suggestions here for less than half of what you say you can afford. Why beat yourself up? Do the decent thing and let the family grieve. It's them that have suffered real loss and are the true victims here as near as I can see. Decency aside, the passing of the homeowner has to be a game changer on its own I'd think.

Tramp, totally agree with all you've said. Besides, unless it is specified (as it has been in many rental contracts we've had and/or been involved with), the contact dies with the death of one party. That's why all leases I refer to have had clauses that specify that in the event of the death of the property owner (landlord)  the contract term must be honored by the heirs, executors and assigns to the benefit of the tenant.

16 hours ago, tramp said:

Totally agree; Spex, do the right thing. Let these people grieve

Natasha, the OP said: "Mexican law states that they need to give us 3 months notice whether we had a signed contract or not due to basic possession of the house."

This sounds as though by allowing someone to stay in your home as a pet and/or house sitter you are giving them "basic possession" of your home and under Mexican law can not get them out of your home for three months if they choose to stay. Or am I misreading the OP?

OP says their lease ended and they didn't have the "first, last and deposit" to rent another place. So they advertised for a house/pet sitting situation. When did this pet/house sitting job begin? OP says the deal was for them to stay until the end of October, but the owner's family wants them to leave. What Mexican-law authority informed the OP that they had to be given three months' notice to leave the premises.

The home owner died while traveling to see her family "after losing her husband." I think this woman's relatives have all they can handle without these two strangers insisting it would be "beyond uncompassionate" to put them out. The homeowner's relatives offered them, according to the OP,  "a pittance of financial aid." Not enough for this couple to do the decent thing and move on? Yet OP says they're looking for another house-sitting gig "which they can pay for."

I'm wary of this OP and his message. It doesn't add up. Maybe the homeowner's daughter has sensed that it would be best to get these strangers out of the house.

Lexy

20 hours ago, Natasha said:

Since when is a house sitter considered a renter a/o tenant? 

This question apart from the many distorted "facts" in the original post.... and yes, I am VERY familiar with the situation.

So, if things are "distorted" why have you not said something to stop the rampant speculation here? Just a thought. :)

3 hours ago, Hud said:

So, if things are "distorted" why have you not said something to stop the rampant speculation here? Just a thought. :)

Not my place to give further details.   

But interesting to note that Spex -- poverty-stricken as he claims -- found the means to hire a lawyer to regain possession of the house, but then neither he nor his lawyer appeared at the specified court date today (Kim and Kyle's did).  Maybe everyone saying he should bow out gracefully, given the circumstances, was enough to turn the tide? If yes, kudos to all of you.

Archived