Chapala.com Webboard

new Telmex Routers

I got a call from DHL on Monday saying they couldn't find me for a delivery.  The guys English and my Spanish, we came to the conclusion that he had the wrong person since I wasn't expecting anything.  He couldn't tell me who it was from.

On Tuesday, I got another call from DHL from someone else whose English was excellent.  Same story.  Eventually, we decided to just send the package to the DHL office and I'd pick it up.  The DHL guy said it would be there by 2pm on Wednesday.

On Thursday, I go by DHL, no package.  After about 30 minutes of phone calls by the local DHL office, they can't find the package anywhere.  However, according to the computer, it originated at Telmex just outside of MX city.  DHL suggests that I call Telmex and get it reshipped.  I have no idea who to call at Telmex.  I'm guessing that it is a new router since I can't think of anything else Telmex would send me.

How has Telmex been shipping the new routers?  

I haven't been over to the local office of Telmex since I just know how that conversation will go.  I'm sure that they have no idea what is going on.

Any thoughts on this?

They started shipping out new models a few months ago. There was a guy scootering around town with a basketful, ringing on doorbells of Infinitum customers who had not requested them. But because TelMex upgraded to VDSL in many areas, the older models wouldn't be able to take advantage. So off I go to the Ajijic office, and five times, between two of us, we are refused the new models. However, with a TelMex truck outside, I just talked to the linesman and he gave me a new one anyway. Then a couple of weeks later an entire truckload was shipped to the same office, and everyone was getting the new ones. I guess they are still sending them out. TelMex's "inventory and delivery" logic is way, way beyond me.

Meanwhile I talked to tech support in Mexico City and three times asked them to DHL me the modem that the local office wouldn't supply. Three times nothing turned up... until a few weeks ago, when the first one arrived after about eight weeks. I expect another one any day now...

These latest models are stamped "Infinitum" and are dual-band Arkadyan models. A chat with an installer at my house reveals that the infrastructure does not exist to use them properly with the newer VDSL infrastructure. They work, but are limited to 10 Mbits of speed. At least that's what I've been told

We live in West Ajijic and weren't able to get Netflix at all. Brought our 5 year old modem into Texmex 2 weeks ago. Alejandra told us the older modems cannot handle 10meg and she gave us a new one that is suppose to be able to,handle up to 12meg. We are now getting 8-10 meg.

hooked it up myself and am not the tech type at all. It was easy.

Update:

Went by TELMEX early this morning and picked up one of the new modems.  They are still ASDL 

If you go to settings, you can set the language to English.

There are two inputs for a Voip phone but I haven't figured out how to use them yet.

There's a gal just to the left inside the door handing out the routers.  

At this time of year, the local TelMex office historicaly sets up a desk just inside the door, for replacing modems. They just have so many modem and service failures during the rainy season. Normally they would ask for your old one, but who knows right now.

Any new modem from TelMex is a VDSL modem; if it has inputs for VOIP phones, that's how you can tell. And their latest is a dual-band, recognized by its twin antennas. There are no settings to activate VOIP services, nor to activate the USB port for network printing, or anything else new on these modems. And apparently no plans at current.

The firmware of all TelMex routers can be accessed in your browser at this address: 192.168.1.254. Some have an option to change the user idioma (language) to English; some do not.

In May 2016 No-Ip announced the discontinuation of its without confirmation free hostname services, effective June 1.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

JRM did you get a VDSL modem or an ADSL modem?

If ADSL and no more speed I don't see much reason to switch one that is working quite well for now.

The new ones are much more stable.  I was getting a reset about once every two hours with the old ones.

You can change it to English.

Type "192.168.1.254"  in the address line

Login is "TELMEX"

Password id the number on the side of the router

Go to settings and you can change the language to English

The one I got is ASDL, says so in the information section

It is dual band 5 and 2.4 for wi-fi.  5 is faster but shorter range, better for video

I haven't tried the USB port yet but I will

Voip requires a number for the phone.  Guess this comes from Telmex?  

We have the two antenna model and I hooked our Vonage phone with no problem. Took a bit to get the wireless printer to work... But in the end everything is working and our down time has been reduced here in West Ajijic... Except this early morning!

Regardless of what your settings say, the dual-band router (Arcadyan WRV9519KWAC23) is a VDSL device, backwards compatible with other types of DSL. In fact, the Status page should list VDSL, but if you are not connected to VDSL, will say Mode: ADSL. From what I can tell, Arcadyan is TelMex's branding of a Huawei product.

There is, at present, no information from TelMex tech support in Mexico City concerning activation of the VOIP or USB options. Be advised that the dual-band modem can only get up to 10Mbps down, so if you are in an area where a higher speed is available, you should ask for the other Huawei model or the Technicolor model. For example, using the dual-band modem right now, my max speed is 10. When I swap it out for the Huawei, my speed is 20.

Went in this morning at 8:00 am. There was the women as described, BUT, she definitely wanted my old unit and the power cord. Then she wanted to know if my old one was broken....I said it had to be re-started frequently...then she checked personal ID....went to the back and brought one unit out. I went home and followed the directions in Spanish and I did not need to enter any new numbers...my computer did the connect and we got an immediate signal

Archived