Chapala.com Webboard

where have all the swallows gone

jaykay

I have been living in San Juan Cosala for about 11 years, and this year for the first time, almost no swallows.  Usually we have one or two nests in under the eves, but nothing yet.  The swallows usually show up six or seven weeks before now.  My neighbor two houses over normally has 20 or more nests. (two story house).  This year, none.  Out at lakeside, very few.  One day I counted five in the whole park area.  Anybody have any info about this?  I thought maybe they moved to another part of the lake, like the pelicans sometimes do.  I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.

Glad they are not around they are a plague.  Like saying where did all the cockroaches and mosquitoes go?

I have seen many flying around in my part of San Juan Cosala in the last month. No nests though but I usually only get one or two.

Lots of them about in the hills - making baby season. We had a whole flock swirling every night around part of the property, keeping the bugs at bay until the bats report to work. They can be a plaque to commercial property owners, and they do carry a type of mite, which drops to the ground. Did you know (I didn't) that the swallows do not actually consume insects, like flycatcher and bats, but they generate a sticky saliva around their beaks, flying through clouds of insects, then back to the babies who pick them off.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Fortunately, no nests here, but flocks of them started to congregate on the phone wires outside my house this morning. Rarely have had them before. Must be some new bugs in my trees...

Or they are keeping an eye on you.

Dave that could be true. My neighbor in San Juan Cosala dug out a huge dirt hole to grow water lilies in. The mosquitos got so bad I had to make a complaint to Jocotepec. Shortly after the sprayers came. Since they the hole has largely filled in naturally.

Archived