Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for traditional Mexican bedspread

I was in the village, Ajijic, looking and I thought the prices were pretty high, especially compared to Patzcuaro.

Anyone know of maybe some places to look in Chapala or even Tonala?

Muchas gracias.

If you mean the woven type with or without fringes, rough hewn on the loom, with images of lilys or the Virgen? There's a woman down on the beach near the Old Posada who carries tons of them back and forth every day, and at reasonable prices. There are also often one or two Huichol women doing hand looming of blankets at the pier in Chapala.

7 hours ago, Willie said:

As my memory serves (sometimes not too well) we paid $600 MX about 6 years ago somewhere  near Patzcuaro for a king size bedspread.

Yes, Mona's has gorgeous stuff, top quality but pricey.

We bought 6 last November for 400-450 pesos each in Patzcuaro, from Adame Family. Use as gifts NOB and for beds here.. These were "matrimonial", and we turn them sideways and they fit nicely on our King beds. We like to visit Patzcuaro for 2-3 days every 2-3 months, as we like it there.

• 8 months later...

Anyone know the current asking price for these bedspreads by the vendor at the top of Ajijic tianguis for a large (king) or queen?  Ballpark figure is ok.

We have one that is at our US home; we are heading down to new Ajijic home and debating whether to take it down or buy another there.   We are flying so suitcase space is tight.  

We bought our years ago elsewhere in MX, but can't remember the price.  

No idea, but they run between 300 and 500 asking price down at the beach. And same from the gal in Chapala where the new little tianguis buildings are across from the fish restaurants just pass the yacht club (but on the left). There is a noticeable difference in weave and quality in what's avaialable. I just wish they could incorporate some 100% cotton versions; for that you have to go to Mercado Libertad, and check around.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

No idea, but they run between 300 and 500 asking price down at the beach. And same from the gal in Chapala where the new little tianguis buildings are across from the fish restaurants just pass the yacht club (but on the left). There is a noticeable difference in weave and quality in what's avaialable. I just wish they could incorporate some 100% cotton versions; for that you have to go to Mercado Libertad, and check around.

Not sure we're talking same bedspreads.  What beach??  Do you mean Ajijic waterfront?  Never saw these sort of bedspreads down there.  Here's a photo (similar to photo  in post by Hud above): 

Image result for oaxacan bedspreads

Yes, Ajijic waterfront. Two ladies who have been here forever, and lug tons of wares down to the waterfront and back home every day, on a cart.

This kind of bedspread would more likely be found in Chapala at the place previously mentioned (cannot remember her name; others will). Bought one very similar and a couple of others while my daugther was here for Christmas. Other than that, Tonala, perhaps Chapala along the malecon, Mercado Libertad.

Alicia in Chapala, in the new puestos just over the road and a little east of the Yacht Club.  I think you are thinking of Concha in Ajijic, who weaves on a back strap loom in front of the old Yves location.  She hauls huge mounds of things up and down the hill daily.

I just bought a beautiful king size bedspread from the shop on Colon in Ajijic .  Can't remember the name of the store but it's high quality and only cost 700 pesos.  For the quality, I felt it was a bargain.

The store is on the right hand side of the street as you are walking down to the lake and is just a bit further down from Tangos.  The sell bedspreads and tablecloths.  If you don't like what you see, or if you want something special - they will order it and in two days it's here.

I love mine .

We brought one back from Oaxaca, they are amazingly cheap there.  However it is not cheap to go there so if someone has imported them here, they still are probably worth paying for.  Ours is impressively well made and a handsome addition to our bedroom.  Our next trip, we plan on bringing back another for a second bed.

Guinness, 

Thanks for the price and store....I will also price the ones at the top of the tianguis to compare.  

Oddly, we bought ours back in 2010 in Barra de Navidad (at their tianguis) of all places.   Can't remember what we paid. 

Archived