Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican or US plated car?

Earl

For someone who lives on the gulf coast and spends Dec-Feb and July- Sept here at Lakeside, the question is:

Is it better to buy a new Mexican-plated car here (such as a Honda Fit) or buy one in the US and drive back and forth? What are some of the pros and cons?  The downside to the later option is the 3-day drive each way, which is doable but not as convenient as flying.   If driving a Mexican-plated vehicle, is it necessary to have a Mexican driver's license if you are on a tourist visa?  What are some possible other considerations?

We live on the Fla. Gulf Coast and have been coming to Ajijic for 27 years from July thru mid Sept. and Dec.-Jan. Many years ago we drove for several years and kept cars there, 3+ years ago we went RP and bought a Mexican plated car. As others have posted forget the Nationalization / Legalization BS..Just get a Mexican car...easy.. and does away with the tedious drives back and forth..There are often reasonable fares except around the Christmas / New Year season...just come down earlier and fly back a few weeks after the new year for better fares.

Of course buying a new car in Mexico, and letting it sit her 6 months a year, is entirely your call but if it were I, I'd buy a good used one in Mexico and leave/store it. There have been a number of seemingly good used cars advertised locally (here on chapala.com in the Classified section, and elsewhere around town). Unless you just want to buy new or plan on traveling a ton while in Mexico, I'd just buy one of them.... there is currently a 2002 Nissan for less than $3,000 that would probably make a great Mexico-only vehicle for you. Or a basically new Honda Fit if newer is your requirement. (No, they are not mine, it's just an example.)

I was in the VW dealer today waiting to pick up our VW Clasico from it´s scheduled maintenance and they had a new stripped down 2017 VW Gol in the showroom with the only options [power steering and power brakes and front airbags were not options but are in all VW cars now] of A/C, remote, alarm and a radio for $169,000 pesos or $9,100 USD with the IVA  16% tax included..

5 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

I was in the VW dealer today waiting to pick up our VW Clasico from it´s scheduled maintenance and they had a new stripped down 2017 VW Gol in the showroom with the only options [power steering and power brakes and front airbags were not options but are in all VW cars now] of A/C, remote, alarm and a radio for $169,000 pesos or $9,100 USD with the IVA  16% tax included..

Manual I assume?

13 hours ago, Earl said:

For someone who lives on the gulf coast and spends Dec-Feb and July- Sept here at Lakeside, the question is:

Is it better to buy a new Mexican-plated car here (such as a Honda Fit) or buy one in the US and drive back and forth? What are some of the pros and cons?  The downside to the later option is the 3-day drive each way, which is doable but not as convenient as flying.   If driving a Mexican-plated vehicle, is it necessary to have a Mexican driver's license if you are on a tourist visa?  What are some possible other considerations?

If you drive, you avoid the cost and storage of two cars plus you can bring a lot more with you.  In my mind it is a tossup for time you spend here but it also depends on whether you have a place that is safe and dry to keep the car.  We used to keep a car up north and it would sit for 5 months without problems because we disconnected the battery when storing.

But I am not a fan of flying.  Too much hassle from TSA and too limited in what you can bring for me.

Ugh! Stored cars - flat tires, dead batteries, ants, spiders, flat gas (modern gasoline has so many additives they lose its octane in only 6 weeks), clogged fuel injectors, also not good on shock absorbers. There is a reason that people store cars up on blocks. It will cost you 1,000 pesos + for a mechanic to go over everything every six months. A bargain here I guess. Actually driving a vehicle, once a week, is much better for its overall health than storing it. Long term storing a collectible vehicle is a whole other protocol.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:25 AM, Mainecoons said:

Personally speaking I'd avoid manual transmissions here simply because there's so much stop and go driving due to topes and traffic.

Interesting. I've driven nothing BUT standards (on car # 4) here for the last 17 years by choice. To each his own, I guess...

Archived