Chapala.com Webboard

Bank Fees

Zeb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an account with Wells Fargo.  I put money into it and then can, on line, have them transfer it to my Bancomer account.  I get a very good exchange rate and only a small transaction fee.  I can then use my Bancomer debit card at their ATMs with no ATM fee.

Works for me!

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and I opened chequeing accounts at Intercam for a fair size with a cheque from our Canadian bank which cleared in 5 business days at no charge. No more need for the Scotia ATM. Just go to the window show my acct. # and Visa and get the amount/pesos I ask for in any denomination not just 500'S AND 200'S. When I get my Intercam debit card,I will just show that or use in the ATM in their lobby which is a push/pull not grabber.  Total time about 1 minute. And unlike Scotia,no interest,this new acct. pays  interest on your balance.

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We opened a Capital One 360 account recently for an upcoming trip to MX.  What's the max withdrawal you are getting at their network's ATM (Allpoiint Network)?   

Bannorte ATMs are the ones that won't charge a fee with the Capital One 360 card. There are only a few in this area and they have a fairly low limit of 3,000 pesos (about $160 - $170 depending on the exchange rate). They do let you do several transactions in a row, so I usually do 2 at a time to get 6,000 pesos total. I did 3 in a row one time and that worked, but it also triggered a call from the CapOne360 fraud department. Not really a problem, but just be ware that they do monitor things so it would be best that the number they have for you is a cell phone that works in Mexico. You also need to register on their website that you will be traveling in Mexico.

There is a new Bannorte machine in Chapala that I haven't tried yet. i hope it has I higher limit but so far all o the ones around here are 3,000 pesos per transaction. Also, when you use the Bannorte machines they tell you that you will be charged a fee and you have to agree to that in the transaction process, but you won't be charged.

8 minutes ago, oasiscloud said:

Bannorte ATMs are the ones that won't charge a fee with the Capital One 360 card. There are only a few in this area and they have a fairly low limit of 3,000 pesos (about $160 - $170 depending on the exchange rate). They do let you do several transactions in a row, so I usually do 2 at a time to get 6,000 pesos total. I did 3 in a row one time and that worked, but it also triggered a call from the CapOne360 fraud department. Not really a problem, but just be ware that they do monitor things so it would be best that the number they have for you is a cell phone that works in Mexico. You also need to register on their website that you will be traveling in Mexico.

There is a new Bannorte machine in Chapala that I haven't tried yet. i hope it has I higher limit but so far all o the ones around here are 3,000 pesos per transaction. Also, when you use the Bannorte machines they tell you that you will be charged a fee and you have to agree to that in the transaction process, but you won't be charged.

Great info!  Gracias.

10 hours ago, ned small said:

My friend and I opened chequeing accounts at Intercam for a fair size with a cheque from our Canadian bank which cleared in 5 business days at no charge. No more need for the Scotia ATM. Just go to the window show my acct. # and Visa and get the amount/pesos I ask for in any denomination not just 500'S AND 200'S. When I get my Intercam debit card,I will just show that or use in the ATM in their lobby which is a push/pull not grabber.  Total time about 1 minute. And unlike Scotia,no interest,this new acct. pays  interest on your balance.

When I need a lot of pesos, I write a cheque on my Canadian bank account, hand it over to the receptionist at Intercam and within minutes I have my pesos.    I registered with  Intercam but do not have an account with them.  What advantage is there in having a chequing account with them?   What is the interest rate paid on your balance?    I prefer not to have a Mexican bank account because of the possibility of fraud.   It happened to a friend of mine recently.

This may have already been discussed but I use Zoom a lot. A good exchange rate better than Intercam. The charge $4.99 up to 2999.00 dollars. I pick up at Electra (Banco Axteca). You will need your passport or your Mexican voter card. You will have to set up an account. The first time may take a few days to get money. After that I use my smart phone and my cash is available in 2 minutes. If you visit their site you can read all information.

i get money at CI banco or HSBC with my schwab card that has no fee for withdrawals and refunds the ATM fee world wide. as best i can tell the difference between the rate for exchanging dollars for pesos at intercam and multiva and using the ATM is 3.8%. on a 1000 dollar withdrawal thats $38 dollars and thats a lot to me.

at CI banco if the amber light is on on the ATM  down where the money comes out that means the machine is low on money and you may not get the full amount that you try to withdraw.

5 hours ago, Glyn said:

I also use CI Banco their charge for a transaction on their ATM machine is 17.40 pesos against Multiva which is 46.40 pesos and others which are higher yet.  This is using my Canadian bank card.

If you have a Scotiabank acct. in Canada with a minimum balance of, I think, 1000CAN, you can use any Scotia ATM worldwide with no ATM fee.

Archived