Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular

9 hours ago, suegarn said:

That transltion of their catalogue of treatments has 266 listed [no year posted on the link] and today there are 287 diseases and treatments covered in the newer catalouge. They add treatments yearly. This week the news stated they added ovarian cancer treatment so 288 treatments are now available. There is talk of adding kidney failure dialysis sometime in the future or paying for outsourcing it to private hospitals who have it.

IMSS will not enroll people who already have chronic illnesses such as chronic liver disease, diabeties that is advanced, HIV positive, drug or alcoholic addiction, the mentally ill, advanced COPD etc.but SP accepts them. For this reason sometimes IMSS is not an option for the well to do so they might pay as much as about $9,200 pesos a year to cover their family at the Seguro Popular.

As stated before by me. The Seguro Popular has evolved into the 2nd main socialized medicine system in Mexico and is not for the poor anymore, as rumor has it, as it started out to be.  One day I see it overtaking the IMSS as the best coverage and facilities of the 2. There is no talk of merging the 2 into one but sharing facilities where locations do not have treatments in an area which went into effect I think June 1st of this year. You only get referals from your system when it is not available in your area to go to either an IMSS, Seguro Popular or ISSSTE hospital for a specific treatment. if they treat it. This is not merging just sharing. They share medicines between the IMSS and ISSSTE the same way as treatments also as of last year sometime.

FONART announced to the artisans  at the last speech of the National concurso f Ceramic in Tlaquepaque that they  all are elegible and are covered by SP and that they should all sign up so  they are trying to get more people enrolled in the system , it is alive and well..and yes they are sharing  facilities and docors in Chiapas..

It is interesting to me, studying Mexican history, that Benito Jaurez was the first Mexican Presidente who tried to separate public medical expenditures from political interference. Presidente ETN has stuck with this tradition, and his wise counsel has decided the shore up Seguro Popular, rather than IMSS. Good for him, Good for Mexico.

I see in the Google translation that one must cover the fees involved.  I'm unclear what the fees / or costs of Seguro Popular are if any. 

Can someone familiar with S.P. please explain what costs are or are not covered?  Also has anyone received treatment under S.P. who might share their experience in obtaining health care services from S.P.

Thanks,

Terry

An important question, many have reported favourable results with things like treating an amputated thumb, gall bladder extraction, and hernia operations. Do you speak fluent enough Spanish to explain the situation? If not, you will have to hire a nurse/assistant/translator - one based in Jocotepec, another based in Guadalajara, usually male for male, female for female. This will be at your cost as well as the private ambulance to get you to Jocotepec (or Guadalajara). If they are out of a prescription, you could send your assistant out to the pharmacy and pay cash. You may also need cash to buy food for yourself and your assistant. So my advice to you is to find a likely assistant, offer to buy them lunch, or whatever, and ask them what it is really like in a Seguro Popular hospital in the Guadalajara region. Ask them how they charge. If all the answers suit you, put all those numbers on speed dial, burner cell phone from OXXO. You sound like a very interesting couple, there are many people here from Saskatchewan (I know, I've been away from Canada so long I forget how to spell it!).

I forgot to add, the translator must be able to be a little forceful to get things done, just like in Canadian public medicine.

Alan do the hospitals welcome donations of no longer needed, but still in date medications?

Thanks Chillin.... great suggestion.

I know just the person ... she is a nurse called Rosa and she attends our church, so I will speak with her the next time I see her.  

Also I very rarely run into folks from SK living here.  Can't think of any that I know off hand anyway, but txs for the info. 

Terry

Archived