Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
MarkEliot

Air Rights and People Flying Over My house

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Xena said:

Well, recently posted here was the guy whose camera-equipped drone was shot out of the sky as he was doing just what dicho described. He was concerned about who might want privacy so bad and possessed a gun to ensure it. So, not everyone has the easy-going, live-and-let-fly attitude so beautifully described above.

That's a really good point.  I'm not sure someone who really doesn't want anything flying over their house is going to care whether it is manned or not.  We tend to forget we do have some folks living around here who are pretty sensitive about any kind surveillance.  You know, like Mafia Dons in NJ or NY.

If anyone knows this flyer they may want to share the drone incident with him and suggest he fly over the lake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone missing a drone, the one that crashed in my yard had no identification on it,  They can maybe pick it up at Chapala police..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to chime on this topic:

We rented away from the village last winter, right on the lake and these little  noisy "flying objects and people" were big nuisance to us. Flying just above our heads several times each day.
We can control where we rent to be away from cojetes and such but we cannot control what is flying over our heads .  There is a big lake out there to fly over for enjoyment. I am not sure if these people understand that not everybody admires their sense of an adventure and how irritating they can be to others. I do not really care what the law says. Just wishing people would be more considerate.


That said we have lots of these small hobby fliers here on the Island as well and they are no less annoying when flying low. Hard to find  a personal space anymore and it will only get worse with time, unfortunately

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drones, Ultralights, SeaDoos, Weedeaters, Leafblowers, Lawnmowers, Cojetes, Motorcycles, Air Hammers, Eventos, Bandas, Rock Bands, Police & Ambulance Sirens, Clippity-cloppy horseshoes, Agua men, Gas trucks, Scrap collectors with speakers, Local Mariachis singing Las Mañanitas, Mother‘s Day concerts, El Grito, and old folks loud TV: Ban them all.....Let there be heavy fines.....Paradise must be protected.:lol:  The B&M crowd must turn this place into just what they want it to be. Those who own it be damned!:angry:

There could be a ....well, a reaction.:(     Are your bags packed?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Across the street from us is a house that rents to weekenders from Guad that sometimes play loud music late into the night. Initially I was pretty bothered, but soon realized that there was nothing I could do to effect any change...that I was going to have to change my perspective or plan to be angry for a very long time. For the sake of my sanity, I now take the view that everyone has a right to celebrate joyously and I have no right to expect the world to conform to me. And when it's my turn to celebrate, or cut timber, or blow up the biggest, loudest fireworks that I can afford, I'll do so unencumbered by guilt but maybe with a little schadenfreud. The minute that I acknowledged their right to live unmolested, I was no longer angry and the music, though loud, wasn't accompanied by feelings of outrage and devious plots of revenge. A perceived violation of my "rights" was transformed from a life-altering event to a minor inconvenience. It's wonderful here now. 

Eric

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you please bottle and distribute that schadenfreud?:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Eric. I have learned the exact same lesson. It changes everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading a great quote from someone who moved to Mexico from the US. At that time, they were living in Veracruz, but I think live in this area now. I don't have the quote exactly right, but the idea went something like this:

"Living in Mexico, I enjoy greater personal freedom than in the U.S. If I choose to, I can keep a pig in my yard. But some day I may need to respect that my neighbor has a cow." :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Bontekoe said:

If you like the US way of life, please go back to the US do not try to exported here

For the record, although I have visited the Air Rights Building in the US, I am not from there. So   I'm not sure I can go back there. You know what they say about assuming......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ericandleslie said:

Across the street from us is a house that rents to weekenders from Guad that sometimes play loud music late into the night. Initially I was pretty bothered, but soon realized that there was nothing I could do to effect any change...that I was going to have to change my perspective or plan to be angry for a very long time. For the sake of my sanity, I now take the view that everyone has a right to celebrate joyously and I have no right to expect the world to conform to me. And when it's my turn to celebrate, or cut timber, or blow up the biggest, loudest fireworks that I can afford, I'll do so unencumbered by guilt but maybe with a little schadenfreud. The minute that I acknowledged their right to live unmolested, I was no longer angry and the music, though loud, wasn't accompanied by feelings of outrage and devious plots of revenge. A perceived violation of my "rights" was transformed from a life-altering event to a minor inconvenience. It's wonderful here now. 

Eric

Well, its very true that ultimately you can´t change other people, but you can change your attitude if you choose to, so it´s good that you made an attitude change which you find beneficial.

However, I do beg to differ regarding your statement that there was nothing you could do to effect any change. A friend of mine was being kept awake by some very loud music from across the street in the early hours of the morning. He went over, knocked on the door, and when answered, he said, very politely, that the music was super loud and it was preventing him from sleeping. The Mexican who was staying there said "I´m really sorry" and turned it right down. It had just never occurred to him that it was bothering anyone. The next morning my friend´s other Mexican neighbor asked "How´d you do that?" "How´d I do what?" "Get him to turn the music down." (it was keeping them awake as well) "I just asked."

Certainly not saying this would work in every situation, in fact you could get a very belligerent response. If I sensed that could be the case, I´d probably wait til the next day and explain politely that I realize they are on vacation and am not trying to ruin their fun, but that I was kept awake all night and ask if they could please lower the volume.

Some of us can´t sleep with loud stuff going on, no matter what attitude we adopt. And earplugs aren´t total sound barriers.

In Sayulita, there are many more problems with young NOB tourist partyers keeping the neighbors awake than with our Mexican neighbors, most of whom have to get up early to go to work in the morning.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Bontekoe said:

If you like the US way of life, please go back to the US do not try to exported here

For the record - although I have visited the Air Rights Building in the US, I am not from there. You know what they say about assuming........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing wrong asking the question and there is nothing wrong at wanting to change things either,, Mexico is not perfect some things could use some improvement..and Bontekoe just  got up on the wrong foot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a pretty clear distinction for me between people joyously celebrating (a quiceñera, wedding, national or village holiday or religious holidays) and people just being inconsiderate disrespectful self absorbed jerks. Low-flying personal aircraft and drones in a residential neighborhood would fall into the latter category. It´s not as if the OP bought , built, or rented a house in an airport flight path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

There is a pretty clear distinction for me between people joyously celebrating (a quiceñera, wedding, national or village holiday or religious holidays) and people just being inconsiderate disrespectful self absorbed jerks. Low-flying personal aircraft and drones in a residential neighborhood would fall into the latter category. It´s not as if the OP bought , built, or rented a house in an airport flight path.

Um, obviously you failed to notice that chapala is in a flight path. To the point, a flight school is operating out of GDL. Students regularly fly in it and over the lake.

I'm glad you feel the two situationsare different, however there is a younger generation that does not. They feel that joyfully celebrating and joyfully taking beautiful photos and videos, are the same... Just enjoying life to the fullest. 

I'm completely shocked at the difference in the response in this thread as opposed to the drone thread. The response here is more of what I would have expected, however in the drone thread the response was more "I would have shot it down too"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...