Chapala.com Webboard

Can I cross the border to texas with a mexican car ?

Julian999

Maincoons, I believe it is one year, not six months: from the cbp website https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

• Motorists visiting the United States as tourists from countries that have ratified the Convention on International Road Traffic of 1949 may drive in the U.S. for one year with their own national license plates (registration tags) on their own national license plates (registration tags) on their cars and with their own personal drivers' licenses.

• Motorists from Canada and Mexico are permitted to tour in the U.S. without U.S. license plates or U.S. driver's permits, under agreements between the United States and these countries.

Correct on the 12-month, not 6.

Also MC, South Dakota cannot be used as they do NOT accept bonded titles.

But I am also still curious/doubtful about being able to use, say, the Maine acceptance of a bonded title in order to obtain a US title.... UNLESS that vehicle was originally manufactured for use in the US, has EPA placards and generally meets all US requirements for that car in the year it was manufactured. Otherwise 'everybody and his cousin' would be flooding the US with Maine bonded titles on cars that couldn't meet US standards. Just my take. (I'm not suggesting the guy with the 911 is not being forthright, but that maybe something in the story is just missing/overlooked that we aren't aware of)

• 2 weeks later...

Something does sound a little fishy about the 911 story.  If it was over 25 yrs. old, no problem to import and register any vehicle from manufactured or sourced from anywhere,  If it was less than 25 years old, it would have to be a US spec. vehicle or be on the federal list of vehicles that have been legally "federalized" to comply with US regulations.  This is a federally regulated importation, the states are not in charge of this. 

• 3 months later...

The car now officially had a title in Maine, never once has it ever gone through an inspection process, never has an insurance agency who issued the bond or the car insurance, ever said anything. At one point i was asked to take pictures of the vin on the dash and on the doors, and the car, (i took the plates off the car before proceeding.) Also the plates, went on the car, before it was ever driven back to the USA (US PLATES). The car was from mexico, did not have emission stickers under the hood.

All I can say is.... WOW! If we know all the pertinent facts (how did a Porche 911 come to be in Mexico with Mexican plates in the first place?), then this Maine bonded title program is either lax in their responsibilities or you 'forgot' to tell them that it was never titled in the US and they just assumed so. Otherwise, if this were as easy as depicted there would be a TON of Mexican or non-conforming vehicles being brought into the US this way. I don't know if there aren't, but I doubt that there are.

Thanks for following up with the 'story', redsfv89.

Archived