Chapala.com Webboard

Dengue

bmh

Anyone has it? The painter who works at my house and live in 6 corners tells me 4 of his friends have it and we live close to where he lives..My husband came down with a fever a couple of  days ago, felt bad yesterday and now he cann barely get up from bed and hurts everywhere...

I saw there are 2 tests that can be done..If anyone has been tested , can you tell me the name of the test?

my husband is o negative so transfusion is unlikely,,My friends in Chiapas never got transfusions an dthey had dengue. Are you talking about the hemoragic one?..Where you bleeding.. If it comes to that I will go to Guadalajara..

I have had it, simple blood test for febrile diseases and dengue..labs know it. 

SX: fever, body aches, pain behind the eyes, headache...pretty much the blood test will just show if you have had it unless you get it right away. If you have bloodshot eyes, bloody urine, stool or other go immediately to ER.  Otherwise, bed rest, no aspirin, tylenol or such , fluids if you can tolerate and will pass in 4 or so days..though you may be weak for longer,much longer. 

Check your neighborhood and get others involved for mosquito breeding grounds, empty containers of water etc.  Wear bug repellent..

Best wishes..I found it pretty bad..keep in mind typhoid also has similar symptoms.. 

1 hour ago, bmh said:

my husband is o negative so transfusion is unlikely,,My friends in Chiapas never got transfusions an dthey had dengue. Are you talking about the hemoragic one?..Where you bleeding.. If it comes to that I will go to Guadalajara..

He was looking at the blood results and if a certain thing deceased (platelets) very much, then I would need a transfusion. It Never exceeded the limit for me, but the fever and aches were bad. When it broke, I thought I was over it, but 2 days later, it was back again for another 7-9 days. The only treatment is for the hemorrhagic kind, otherwise, just rest and fluids. But, you need to keep an eye on if it becomes hemorrhagic, bruising, gum bleeding, nose bleed, rash, etc. Good luck. I think mine lasted about 18 days. The test takes several weeks to determine if you actually have it, so doctors do the platelet test

I had it about 10 years ago in Mazatlan and even the ends of my hair hurt!  No remedy then, lots of bed rest, fluids and I was weak for several weeks...not fun....

Now we live beside the "aquatic gardens" and are wondering if they do anything to combat the mosquitoes?  We are inundated with them!  When we left Go Bistro last night, a truck was going around spraying the area.  Hope they are going to do the whole village!!!

I had it about the second year we were here.  I can only remember that the most comfortable place was in bed because of the aches and pains and the headache seemed relentless.  It runs in my mind that the worst of it was over within a week but it took awhile longer to recover energy.

Which hardware store or otherwise has the best selection of Mosquito preventive (Foggers & Deet) I have

not seen Mosquito Yard Foggers here at all and want to use that in a limited capacity, until my Garlic Mosquito Barrier & Dunks show via mail.

I have guests coming in... Thanks!

On 7/17/2016 at 7:19 AM, Willie said:

I had it about 10 years ago in Mazatlan and even the ends of my hair hurt!  No remedy then, lots of bed rest, fluids and I was weak for several weeks...not fun....

Now we live beside the "aquatic gardens" and are wondering if they do anything to combat the mosquitoes?  We are inundated with them!  When we left Go Bistro last night, a truck was going around spraying the area.  Hope they are going to do the whole village!!!

Try setting out some saucers with some fruit juice and some boric acid added. Mosquitos are attracted to it  and it will knock down the mosquito population significantly. I have an old newspaper article on this.

And you might want to check out exactly what they are spraying. They will tell you it is perfectly safe, but look up the info on it and you will find out otherwise. IMO I think subjecting an entire village to toxic chemicals does not balance out a few cases of dengue.

On 7/17/2016 at 11:17 PM, bezerk said:

I have had it, simple blood test for febrile diseases and dengue..labs know it. 

SX: fever, body aches, pain behind the eyes, headache...pretty much the blood test will just show if you have had it unless you get it right away. If you have bloodshot eyes, bloody urine, stool or other go immediately to ER.  Otherwise, bed rest, no aspirin, tylenol or such , fluids if you can tolerate and will pass in 4 or so days..though you may be weak for longer,much longer. 

Check your neighborhood and get others involved for mosquito breeding grounds, empty containers of water etc.  Wear bug repellent..

Best wishes..I found it pretty bad..keep in mind typhoid also has similar symptoms.. 

Incorrect regarding the pain killers- aspirin and ibuprofen are no-nos as they have anticoagulant properties and can turn any strain of dengue into hemorrhagic. But acetaminophen (Tylenol or paracetamol as they call it here) is safe to take as it is not an anticoagulant.

And a little more info for those who don´t know (I didn´t). Mosquitos are only carriers of dengue. They bite a person who is infected with it (and may not have shown any symptoms yet), then bite you. Voila, you now have dengue. The type of mosquitos which are carriers normally are active during the day, not at night (similar to zika). It is a good idea to avoid being in crowds of people during the day during mosquito season in areas where they are prevalent.

I wish all those suffering from dengue a speedy and complete recovery. For more than you likely wanted to know about dengue in Mexico, weekly updates, with maps for each state, are issued (in Spanish). The latest is at http://www.epidemiologia.salud.gob.mx/doctos/panodengue/PANORAMAS_2016/Pano_dengue_sem_27_2016.pdf

In late 2014, I wrote an overview of the geography of dengue fever in Mexico that looks at some of the trends and patterns involved: http://geo-mexico.com/?p=12267

What gets me is the article in the Guadalajara Reporter a man died from Dengue at age 51, they now have a vaccination for it but they are only letting people from age 9 - 45 get it. Makes no sense!

What is the best mosquito repellent available locally and where do you find it?

They just love chewing on me and I am running out of my supply of imported stuff.  Autan wasn't nearly as effective as the high deet repellent I've been getting NOB.

Mosquitos will ignore a yard full of people and chew on me isntead. I use OFF; it works as well as any other repellant I know of, and doesn't reek to high heaven. Spray, aerosol, and cream, at any WalMart, etc. I can lie in the hammock in a bushy and treed yard, for hours, with very little bother.

Ha ha - I offered Lemon Eucalyptus plants/trees earlier this year - but no takers. Now I only have enough tincture for personal use.

Lemon Eucalyptus oil has tested very highly with Consumer Reports (works for 6 hours) and is the only natural herbal remedy recommended by Center Disease Control.

If you are real fast, you may make it to today's Tuesday Market to see if anyone has the oil, or the cream.

And again, maybe not so important in this area, but they have found the Zika virus can be spread by all types of unprotected sex. I don't know about Dengue, or the other two viruses.

Nevermind - Bill Gates has declared war on the mosquito, the biggest killer of humans all over the world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2016 at 10:53 AM, mudgirl said:

Try setting out some saucers with some fruit juice and some boric acid added. Mosquitos are attracted to it  and it will knock down the mosquito population significantly. I have an old newspaper article on this.

And you might want to check out exactly what they are spraying. They will tell you it is perfectly safe, but look up the info on it and you will find out otherwise. IMO I think subjecting an entire village to toxic chemicals does not balance out a few cases of dengue.

Incorrect regarding the pain killers- aspirin and ibuprofen are no-nos as they have anticoagulant properties and can turn any strain of dengue into hemorrhagic. But acetaminophen (Tylenol or paracetamol as they call it here) is safe to take as it is not an anticoagulant.

Sorry but I said NO aspirin...tylenol or such, I guess is confusing..take no aspirin or acetylsalicylic products but you can take tylenol . 

On 7/19/2016 at 9:27 AM, Mainecoons said:

What is the best mosquito repellent available locally and where do you find it?

They just love chewing on me and I am running out of my supply of imported stuff.  Autan wasn't nearly as effective as the high deet repellent I've been getting NOB.

Deet is sold on Mercadolibre so it should be available in stores here.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/repelente-deet#D[R:deet,P:3,Q:5]

Amazon also has repellents that ship to Mexico.

aspiring thins the blood this is why no aspirin. All people I know who have mosquitoe screens and fans..etc in their houses did not get bitten in their house , they got bitten outside, waiting in a line somewhere, in their yards.

Archived