Chapala.com Webboard

PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS

Glyn

My vehicle was stopped at the traffic lights outside Guad Pharmacy in Ajijic this morning at 8 a.m. waiting for the lights to change.   Two young pedestrians, Mexican ladies one with a dog were waiting to cross the carretera, one from each side.  Lights turned to green, I slowly made my way into the intersection waiting for the ladies to cross, they were half way across when a guy on a motor bike drove through the red light.  Luckily the ladies were still looking right and left as they crossed and saw the motor bike, how he avoided hitting them I will never know.  He caught the back end of the dog who was slightly ahead of the one Mexican lady, but not hurt.  Just a warning folks PLEASE, PLEASE  be extra careful when you are crossing the streets here especially at traffic lights, obviously red lights mean nothing to some people

It seems that motor cycles/bike drivers don't think  that many of the traffic rules apply to them. Several times a week I see them going through red lights. Where are the cops when needed?

My husband I were recently in Manzanillo.  On a main highway just outside of town we saw a motorcycle coming directly at us IN THE WRONG LANE!!!  Immediately behind him was a police car with sirens blaring chasing him down.  Both were headed straight at us and we had to pull off the highway to avoid being hit!  BE CAREFUL!!!

The stretch of carretera between San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec is strange. If someone is behind you they expect you to drive on the shoulder (illegal) so that they can pass you. The other day while driving there the truck behind me passed me meanwhile the truck in front of me decided to pass the car in front of him. Soon there were 4 abreast going along the two lane highway in the same direction. I've never seen this anywhere else. A few months ago there a driver behind me overtook me in Jocotepec forced me to stop after which he attacked my car. I can only assume it was because he wanted me to drive on the shoulder so he could get to Joco faster. Scary.

41 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

It is very common in Mexico for cars and trucks to move to the right to allow others to pass. The libre between Lagos de Moreno and Leon has extra wide shoulders for just that purpose. Also on the 2 lane cuota from Lagos north the same. 

"for just that purpose" ? It seems odd as it is illegal. I've driven a lot in Mexico and have rarely seen it except near Jocotepec.

It is perfectly LEGAL to pull over to the right to let cars pass you on the roads in Mexico. I travel a lot with a MEXICAN and he constantly complains about the gringos here who do not pull over to the right to let him pass. I have seen this done on our many trips around Mexico.

34 minutes ago, jle said:

It is perfectly LEGAL to pull over to the right to let cars pass you on the roads in Mexico. I travel a lot with a MEXICAN and he constantly complains about the gringos here who do not pull over to the right to let him pass. I have seen this done on our many trips around Mexico.

It is illegal in Jalisco to drive on the shoulder and from signs I've seen in other states it is probably there.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

"for just that purpose" ? It seems odd as it is illegal. I've driven a lot in Mexico and have rarely seen it except near Jocotepec.

Have you driven that 2 lane cuota? The shoulder is 3/4 of a lane wide. Same on the libre to Leon. All the slow vehicles pull over for the 10-15 seconds necessary for someone to pass. I have been driving in Mexico for over 40 years. Yes the truck drivers in Jalisco seem to be less courtious than other areas. Most places they pull right and signal with left turn signas when it's safe to pass. 

2 hours ago, cedros said:

The stretch of carretera between San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec is strange. If someone is behind you they expect you to drive on the shoulder (illegal) so that they can pass you. The other day while driving there the truck behind me passed me meanwhile the truck in front of me decided to pass the car in front of him. Soon there were 4 abreast going along the two lane highway in the same direction. I've never seen this anywhere else. A few months ago there a driver behind me overtook me in Jocotepec forced me to stop after which he attacked my car. I can only assume it was because he wanted me to drive on the shoulder so he could get to Joco faster. Scary.

I don't know whether it's legal or illegal, but I know I've seen it EVERYWHERE we've driven in Mexico. On our trip north to Nogales there were long stretches of cuota with extra wide shoulders and everyone used them to move aside to allow others to pass. The passing vehicles would straddle the middle line so you could end up with trucks coming at you, half in your lane, and you had no choice but to move aside. Some of the slower vehicles always stayed halfway in the shoulder to allow others to pass. The road really looked like it was intentionally set up for this so it seems strange that it might be illegal. 

I see it often on the road to Mezcala also. I've definitely gotten into the habit of moving aside if I can when faster cars are coming up behind me. 

15 minutes ago, sambrit10 said:

I don't know whether it's legal or illegal, but I know I've seen it EVERYWHERE we've driven in Mexico. On our trip north to Nogales there were long stretches of cuota with extra wide shoulders and everyone used them to move aside to allow others to pass. The passing vehicles would straddle the middle line so you could end up with trucks coming at you, half in your lane, and you had no choice but to move aside. Some of the slower vehicles always stayed halfway in the shoulder to allow others to pass. The road really looked like it was intentionally set up for this so it seems strange that it might be illegal. 

This was our experience too, driving annually from Ajijic to Nogales or Agua Prieta.  if you don't move right to allow faster cars to pass you you run the risk of angering them as giving way to others to pass is the expectation.  

Re: the OP with regard to the dog on leash....dog walkers need to tighten up their lead when in/near traffic.  I have seen dogs on 20+ foot leads cross the entire street before its owner has stepped off the previous curb.  

It sounds like the wild west out there. Custom versus legality. As a foreigner I prefer to go the legal way. I've seen signs saying do not drive on the shoulder in many places including between Chapala and Guadalajara. Other signs that are ignored resulting in more confusion. Of course the purpose of shoulders on roads are to provide a safe place for vehicles in difficulty to pull out of the way safely. It certainly isn't a courtesy for those that need to use the shoulder to have someone else driving on it. It can be pretty scary to come around a corner on a two lane road without shoulders to find someone broken down in your lane.

In Chiapas you see signs telling you to drive on the shoulder to let people pass and if you do not do it you are screamed at by motorits and trucs drive right on  rear end and ry to get you ou of the way..It is also "illegal" to drive on the shoulder..

There are many roads with signs telling motorists to pull to the right to allow passing.  These shoulders are usually about 3/4 of a lane wide as stated in a previous post.  The road between the Chapala-Guad hiway and Ocotlan used to be marked this way before the new hiway was put in.  Also between Uruapan and Patzcuaro coming up the hill.  It's scary as heck but you get used to it.  I tend to drive over in the right lane because it's hard to remember to move over when someone is coming toward you as you assume they will move out of your way.  And they assume you will move out of the way.  I just stay over and don't have to worry about it.  The lanes between SJC and Joco are quite wide but I've never seen a sign that says you must move over for passing vehicles like the other places mentioned.  Slower vehicles are usually quite accommodating.

It is customary in Rural Texas and has been since I was a kid. I just thought it was a neighborly thing to do. Heck I even pull over for ambulances and police cars to pass. It really doesn't benefit me to keep some ansy driver pined in back there.

The Valadid Truck and officer Juan Carlos had a cruiser moto pulled over West bound in La Floresta. I bet he was cruising in the bicycle lane plus obviously gulty of DWG (driving while being gringo. I believe this because I have seen hundreds of Mx motorcycles and scooters who pull into my lane space beside me and have seen police see them do it. The Jalisco law says they must occupy their own land and not force me to share. How many times have you seen them creep up innto your space shen stopped at a light ot driving.

4 hours ago, cedros said:

The law indeed supports pulling to the right to allow vehicles to pass. From the test questions (B is the answer, indicating that A and C are not infractions).

9.- ES INFRACCIÓN A LA LEY DE TRÁNSITO: 

A) Circular por la extrema derecha. 

B)Tener el vehículo su parabrisas estrellado de tal manera que dificulte la visibilidad. 

C) Dar vuelta a la derecha con semáforo en rojo con precaución, previo alto total y otorgando preferencia al peatón. 

9.- IT IS AN INFRACTION TO THE LAW OF TRAFFIC:

A) To circulate by the far right.

B) To drive a vehicle with its windshield damaged in such a way that it interferes with the visibility.

C) To turn over the right with signal in red with precaution, prior high total and offering preference al

pedestrian.

jrod somehow your post is a bit obtuse-extreme right may not mean the acotamiento. More direct-the law in Jalisco;

From Guia para el examen vial # 60 says the shoulder isn't a safe place to drive (in this case near Jocotepec you sometimes see trucks parked on the shoulder unloading things, or people or bikes travelling there-it must scare the hell out of them when they see a vehicle coming right towards them). Likewise  from Spencer's Jalisco Traffic offenses 2014 Article 183 VII a fine of 673 to 2019 for parking or driving on the shoulder when you shouldn't (don't have a breakdown?). 

13 minutes ago, cedros said:

jrod somehow your post is a bit indirect. The law in Jalisco;

From Guia para el examen vial # 60 says the shoulder isn't a safe place to drive. Likewise  from Spencer's Jalisco Traffic offenses 2014 Article 183 VII a fine of 673 to 2019 for parking or driving on the shoulder when you shouldn't. 

Maybe the phrase "when you shouldn't" is saying it's ok when you should? ie let someone pass...... Slow people who refuse simple courtesy are one of the causes of "road rage" possibly why someone attacked your car when you wouldn't let them pass...  With total respect....Just a thought to ponder on...

It actually says that when you park or drive there without justification you can be fined. Justification could mean vehicle breakdown or? I'm guessing that should would mean when highway signs say you should drive on the shoulder if you are too slow. A little vague. Better to be safe than sorry.

7 hours ago, jle said:

Yes this is very common all over Mexico and is a common driving courtesy that helps reduce congestion. It is sometimes called threading the needle and works well only where there are no Gringos who just don't seem able to master the concept and/or technique. 

As it is meant to work, if the shoulders are clear, on coming traffic will both pull over into their respective shoulders to allow faster traffic to pass in a virtual middle passing lane. Like it or not, legal or not, argue until you are blue in the face if you want -  it is what is.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

Sadly, the practice is just too dangerous to do around here with all those who are ignorant of this custom, ergo jle's comment about Mexicans complaining about us....

I believe pulling over to the right to let others pass down the yellow line only applies when there is an extra wide shoulder.  It wouldn't apply on a regular highway where the shoulder is 1 or 2 feet wide.  I wish it were against the law for very slow traffic, like a backhoe or truck hauling a heavy load uphill, to hold up traffic for 1/4-1/2 mile.  Especially when there is plenty of room for the slow vehicle to pull over for 1 minute to let the traffic pass.

Yo1 a good point.The really really slow ones often don't pull over even when they can. It doesn't occur to them I guess. I see this often between Ajijic and San Juan Cosala.

Archived