Chapala.com Webboard

PERMANENTE VISA - OWNING FOREIGN CAR

ezpz

21 minutes ago, Bontekoe said:

I went to the police station and had them check the plates and permiso de circulation all checked OK!!!!

Interesting news. Do you know when the local police started handling the duties of Aduana and transito?  It could save us all a lot of time.

43 minutes ago, Bontekoe said:

I went to the police station and had them check the plates and permiso de circulation all checked OK!!!!

Of course it checked out.  You appear to be legal to the state computers.  Now try the federal computers--go to Aduana and get a surprise!

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that there are two kinds of Residente Temporales. Lucrative (working) or non lucrative. I read that if you are  Residente Temporal -Lucrativa that you can no longer drive the foreign plated vehicle as well. Is this true? If so, I will just keep going to the border every 6 months rather than get a working visa. I had the working visa last time there, but that was before they changed the law. 

Right "RV", I know that. Because I am wanting to keep a foreign plated for maybe about 2-3 years, i was considering doing the every 6 month shuffle to the border. If I can drive a foreign plated with a work visa, that simplifies matters greatly. 1) no trips to border 2) I can legally work/find a school to represent my visa. If doing the every 6 month shuffle, I would avoid working formally, and maybe just have a few private English students on a low key basis. See...

On 7/12/2016 at 9:18 PM, ezpz said:

Can someone explain "nationalization"?  I found out about this after my original post.  I don't care about the Jag... what is that to me?

Has anyone been through this process?  I never followed this issue before because I was not in the market for a car - I'm still not - except that a very good deal has come my way.  I'm not going to run out and buy a MX car at this point!   I see a variety of Cars For Sale (US) in the want ads... why do they advertise here if it is such a hassle to buy?  Just curious, trying to get GOOD SOLID INFO so I can make the best decision.  

Nationalization is the process of taking the car to the border (IF it qualifies) and getting various paperwork done to legally import the car as a Mexican vehicle. Tim Welch & Jamie Littlejohn offer this service, and from what I have heard do a fine job. It is not cheap.

6 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

If you go to the border every 180 days to renew a tourist permit, the point is moot, as a tourist cannot work.

There have been no tourist permits since 2012.

There are Visitante Visas.
One form of Visitante Visa is specifically designed for the visitor to work in Mexico.

Virgogirl:
Are you paying taxes on the teaching income for teaching individual services?  

The 1993 USA-Mexico Tax Convention - treaty - specifies that 'personal services', like tutoring/teaching individual students is tax exempt.

4 hours ago, virgogirl said:

Right "RV", I know that. Because I am wanting to keep a foreign plated for maybe about 2-3 years, i was considering doing the every 6 month shuffle to the border. If I can drive a foreign plated with a work visa, that simplifies matters greatly. 1) no trips to border 2) I can legally work/find a school to represent my visa. If doing the every 6 month shuffle, I would avoid working formally, and maybe just have a few private English students on a low key basis. See...

You many not have to be 'low key' about your working.

Table 2 of the US-Mexico’s Tax Treaty’s Article 14 and Article 15 explains the reciprocal exemptions for Americans providing personal services in Mexico, and Mexicans providing personal services in the USA.

Table 2 lists the different kinds of personal service income that may be fully or partly exempt from US  and Mexican income tax.

Continuing:  Treaty Article 15 says “Dependent personal services” are exempted from US income taxes, as long as you do not exceed a “Maximum Presence in U.S.” of “183 days”, and that your employer is not a Resident of the United States.

Finally, note that there is “No limit” of “Maximum Amount of Compensation” for US expats providing dependent personal services in Mexico according to the treaty. 

??

Thank you. I would only need the work visa if I want to work for a reputable school that requires it, and that would allow me to avoid border trips every six months. It is good info you gave for the other type of work i plan to do.

• 2 weeks later...

For you folks doing the six months shuffle to the border it might not work at some point.  Some folks have been sent back to Consulate to get temporary stamp in passport.  So is the law six months per year maximum on tourist visa/s???   Everything is computerized at this point.  Last time I came across border with car they showed me my whole past car/ visa history online.  So is it legal to go every six months and come back across to get another tourist visa for six month?  Sure would like to KNOW rather than think. Experts??  Sorry for the drift but I think many of us think it is legal to do the border shuffle but is it?

It appears to be legal and permisable, but dependent upon the decision of the border agent you encounter.  If he doesn‘t like your looks or attitude, had a bad argument with his wife, boss, kid or mistress, or is suffering the “trots“, you could be denied re-entry.  You are not entitled to argue the point.:wacko:

What does this have to do with the posted topic?

Nothing.

Archived