Chapala.com Webboard

PERMANENTE VISA - OWNING FOREIGN CAR

ezpz

I'm in the process of getting my permanente visa.  Coincidentally, a friend moving back up north wanted to sell me her American car, a 2001 model, a great deal for me.  I thought the rule with the Perm visa  was that you could own a foreign car if it was over 10 years old.  An assistant for my immigration lawyer asked directly at the car registration office today and I got this answer from him...

"...  if the car is already Mexican you can do the owners change here, if the car is not Mexican you need to go to the border and also I asked on immigration and they said if you go to permanent you can't buy a foreign car no matter how old is it and if you already have one you must sell it. In other words if you are permanent you can't drive a foreign car...".

Any comments?  Gracias! 

4 minutes ago, ezpz said:

I'm in the process of getting my permanente visa.  Coincidentally, a friend moving back up north wanted to sell me her American car, a 2001 model, a great deal for me.  I thought the rule with the Perm visa  was that you could own a foreign car if it was over 10 years old.  An assistant for my immigration lawyer asked directly at the car registration office today and I got this answer from him...

"...  if the car is already Mexican you can do the owners change here, if the car is not Mexican you need to go to the border and also I asked on immigration and they said if you go to permanent you can't buy a foreign car no matter how old is it and if you already have one you must sell it. In other words if you are permanent you can't drive a foreign car...".

Any comments?  Gracias! 

Comment:  Don't fight the tide.  Buy a Mexican car and save yourself the aggravation.  Good luck.

Think distinction is Mexican plates, if Jag has them fine (although if nationalization papers are fake that could be future liability).

With the good exchange rate best  to not deal with and avoid US / Canadian plated cars here in Mexico.

Can someone explain "nationalization"?  I found out about this after my original post.  I don't care about the Jag... what is that to me?

Has anyone been through this process?  I never followed this issue before because I was not in the market for a car - I'm still not - except that a very good deal has come my way.  I'm not going to run out and buy a MX car at this point!   I see a variety of Cars For Sale (US) in the want ads... why do they advertise here if it is such a hassle to buy?  Just curious, trying to get GOOD SOLID INFO so I can make the best decision.  

There are at least two reasons why you may/do see US plated cars for sale here. One is that it is OK for someone to 'buy' that car but ONLY IF they are going to immediately take it to the border, cancel the existing TIP (Temporary Import Permit.. the sticker on the windshield). Then, they can get the title changed over into their name (just like one would do anyway in the US with a car sale) and get their own TIP and drive it back to Lakeside to have and drive. This can't be done 'overnight' as getting a new title can be tricky.This purchase can ONLY be done by a person with a Tourist Card or a Residente Temporal because a Permanente cannot own a foreign plated vehicle. Now that may sound messy to some, but if that is what the two parties want to do, it is perfectly legal.

The other reason to advertise is that there are a few folks who will see that ad, and assuming that it is a good deal, buy the car, drive it to the border cancelling the TIP for the previous owner, and sell it in the US for a profit that covers their expenses and a reasonable profit for doing this. If one is going/has gone Permanente this is sometimes the only way, or least painful way to rid oneself of a car that is no longer legal in Mexico. This may also sound messy to some but it is done 'monthly'. I do it, playaboy does it etc. etc.

And no, I'm not looking for a car at the moment...... just trying to answer a question and maybe clear up some confusion.

Wow Bon, that Jag XK8 is a sweet ride! Is this the one with the creamy green paint and cream leather interior?

I have talked to many (6) MEXICAN BORN,  and many years experience lawyers about this, including our rather famous family lawyer (for over 20 years), whose brother is a Federal Prosecutor. I have sent the forum links, CDMX plates are legit, no fake paperwork, it is just that CDMX doesn't care about border crap. SAT might, if they want to hustle/hassle you on technicalities, then they only have 2,493,000 foreign plated (non Mexican registered) vehicles left to go. A lifetime supply of prisoners - not. Ask a MEXICAN. A Mexican immigration lawyer, who knows little about the politics of power (including family ties), and the often hidden machinations of this country, is not your starting or end point. Everyone wants a slice of Gringo pie.

13 hours ago, Intercasa said:

Think distinction is Mexican plates, if Jag has them fine (although if nationalization papers are fake that could be future liability).

With the good exchange rate best  to not deal with and avoid US / Canadian plated cars here in Mexico.

NO FAKE..My car is LEGAL LOL

So then you have a federal importation pedimento?  Why get Mexico State plates when you can get Jalisco plates?   Hmmm

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Wow Bon, that Jag XK8 is a sweet ride! Is this the one with the creamy green paint and cream leather interior?

I have talked to many (6) MEXICAN BORN,  and many years experience lawyers about this, including our rather famous family lawyer (for over 20 years), whose brother is a Federal Prosecutor. I have sent the forum links, CDMX plates are legit, no fake paperwork, it is just that CDMX doesn't care about border crap. SAT might, if they want to hustle/hassle you on technicalities, then they only have 2,493,000 foreign plated (non Mexican registered) vehicles left to go. A lifetime supply of prisoners - not. Ask a MEXICAN. A Mexican immigration lawyer, who knows little about the politics of power (including family ties), and the often hidden machinations of this country, is not your starting or end point. Everyone wants a slice of Gringo pie.

4 minutes ago, Bontekoe said:

NO FAKE..My car is LEGAL LOL

Yes It is the Sea Foam one beige int.! with perfectly legal Mexico City Plates,, and yes regulations are different throughout Mexico, by state and city!, for your info The state of Chihuahua allows cars  not NAFTA made

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:
4 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

So then you have a federal importation pedimento?  Why get Mexico State plates when you can get Jalisco plates?   Hmmm

You do not understand , my car is LEGALIZED NOT i repeat NOT Nazionalized no pedimento CDMX does not require it, that is how I was able to LEGALLY have Mexico Plates and LEGALLY have a car made outside of the NAFTA here permanectly in mexico, I returned my TIP, at the border,(got my money back) put on CDMX plates and return here

It will take an accident or a thorough check at a reten before he learns....and starts walking; if they don‘t put him in the back of a pickup truck......

The plates may appear to  be legal, but the car‘s presence is not.

Id bet dollars to donuts that Mexico City requires a definitive pedimento to get their plates.  Shall we bet Dunkin Donuts or Donas?

Oh my Mex plates without nationalizing; without pedimento; without factura. ILLEGAL. If one disagrees take car to nearest Aduana and present your car and documents. Take Spencer with you for his lawyer skills and the donuts for the bet. 

:-)

Sonia

19 hours ago, Bontekoe said:

I am sick and tired of the BS info given

You laugh as if you have gotten away with something.  Your car is illegal and you driving it is illegal.  You just won't admit that you got taken to the cleaners by whomever sold you this line of "legal" in CDMX.

Archived