Chapala.com Webboard

License Plates from State of Mexico

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share regarding license plates from the state of Mexico. These are plates that people with Perminente status  are buying. Are these plates legal, can one insure your car, can they be used to travel to the U.S. Etc. The plates have been around for a while so they are being issued.

Thanks for your reply

There are some plates that say "Estada de Mexico". I think these are fake and are used to foil the speed cameras. Intercasa or Sonia can chime in and add details. I believe that the use of these plates is one of the offenses that can lead to confication of the car. 

1 hour ago, Confused said:

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share regarding license plates from the state of Mexico. These are plates that people with Perminente status  are buying. Are these plates legal, can one insure your car, can they be used to travel to the U.S. Etc. The plates have been around for a while so they are being issued.

Thanks for your reply

You might want to read this thread from May, scrolling down to particularly read Sonia's posts on this point:

Careful Bontekoe - there are those in the fear business, who will suggest that you will end up in a Turkish prison! CDMX is correct. Remember that in three years you have to renew or else pay a fairly large premium. You can renew online.

http://www.semovi.cdmx.gob.mx/tramites-y-servicios/vehiculos-particulares/alta-de-placas-para-vehiculos-motocicletas-y-remolques-usados-de-uso-particular

Do you really believe it is a crime to have CDMX plates? These stops are looking for guns, drugs escaped convicts, stolen vehicles - so don't "present" as any of those. Put some fun naco chilango stickers about, and you are just one of tens of thousands CDMX plates on the road all over the country. An SAT roadblock is of more concern. Don't fly any Mexico DF football stickers or you car will be vandalised in Guadalajara.

8 hours ago, tomgates said:

There are some plates that say "Estada de Mexico". I think these are fake and are used to foil the speed cameras. Intercasa or Sonia can chime in and add details. I believe that the use of these plates is one of the offenses that can lead to confication of the car. 

Last time I looked at a map Estado de Mexico is a state north of Mexico City.  I remember visiting Toluca there as a kid with my folks.  I occasionally see vehicles around here on the weekend with plates from there and assume they're tourists.

Just a few thoughts.

You can insure any car real or non-existent legal or illegal. There is no inspection, only a vin# given to the agent. Only if and when you need to use the insurance will you know if it is valid or not. 

If Aduana was not involved in the nationalisation process the vehicle is not legal. Look for the federal hologram on the windshield. Also is there a pedimento? A factura? 

There are dishonest officials in DF Department of motor vehicles that issue plates to illegal cars. (my wife worked for Jalisco DMV) and it is common knowledge) 

Because you have a license plate and registration from any state only makes the car registered not necessarily imported and legal. Only if and when you have an accident will you find out.

So like the bank robber .. if you are never caught then everything is good.

A US car brought in on a temporary import permit MUST leave the country when the TIP expires.  It expires when the owner becomes a permenente resident.  He can no longer drive a foreign plated car and has promised to return the car to the border.  If you buy a US plated car in Mexico, you are obligated to return it to the border with a letter of permission to transport the car from Aduana, turn in the TIP sticker from the windshield, then attempt to get a new TIP in your name.  You probably can't nationalize it because only certain years are able to be nationalized at the moment (2008-09?).  If you have a permenente, you can't drive a foreign plated car anyway.  So the answer depends upon what kind of visa you have.  If you or the owner choose to not take the car to the border to remove the TIP sticker, the owner will be financially responsible for any accident you have after you have bought his car because the sale wasn't legal.

I just saw your other post--the answer is you can't drive a foreign plated car as a permenente--period.  No matter how good the deal is--walk away--it's not worth the hassle.

Some clarifications to Yo1's Post:  Technicalities but needed for some clarification to some of the statements:

There is one way that a Permanente CAN drive a foreign plated vehicle. That is IF this person's spouse stayed/is still Temporal and his/her name is on the title and the TIP. In that instance it is perfectly legal and some folks have done/are doing this. This can only last just so long (4 years max) but it does give some folks another opportunity to keep their foreign plated car in Mexico.

Also, it is not 'just two years', 2008-2009, but vehicles older than (one of those years at the moment I think). That number changes in November of each year to a 'year younger', or said differently to 2010 if it is actually 2009 now.

Most people get State of Mexico plates as they have fake papers or never legally nationalized and people bribed officials to get the plates.  This is the reality.  These people cannot get Jalisco plates and cannot sell their cars and if they take their car to verification risk arrest and getting their cars impounded.  If car is impounded or checked at a checkpoint you risk losing it and criminal charges, you have been warned.

8 hours ago, Intercasa said:

Most people get State of Mexico plates as they have fake papers or never legally nationalized and people bribed officials to get the plates.  This is the reality.  These people cannot get Jalisco plates and cannot sell their cars and if they take their car to verification risk arrest and getting their cars impounded.  If car is impounded or checked at a checkpoint you risk losing it and criminal charges, you have been warned.

Spencer, I agree with you that this is what is happening and these are the consequences. However my concern and that of many others is that the Mexican Government is not following the NAFTA agreement to which they are signatory.

The following is taken from Sonia's post from her Facebook page which I have reviewed and find it is taken from the NAFTA agreement

Currently, NAFTA-made but only 2007 and 2008 model years may be imported into Mexico. This may be confirmed by a very well know brokerage here: : superimportaciones.com Yet, what I believe is the law I have posted below stating at this time vehicles as little as 4 years old are to be allowed to be imported into Mexico. This limitation is controlled by the Pena Nieto government at the request of the four large Mexican auto dealer associations.

To do this process one must retain a broker as an individual is not allowed to do so without one as stated by the Mexican government. The fees being charged are typically $3000 US which is excessive as the brokers have added a large fee in addition to the Mexican government charges. There is also the need for a stolen report and emissions test which is understandable.

I am asking that NAFTA be followed as to the model years which one can import and the cost in doing so be reasonable.

NAFTA Importing Agreement

NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) Annex 300-A Trade and Investment in the Automotive Sector:

“(d) beginning January 1, 2015, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least four years old;”

Other paragraphs state:

Jan 1, 2009: at least 10 years old

Jan 1, 2011: at least 8 years old

Jan 1, 2013: at least 6 years old

Jan 1, 2015: at least 4 years old

Jan 1, 2017 at least 2 years old.

2019 no age limit

I have written the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City and asked for their support but they suggest I contact the Mexican government.

I believe as an individual this would be futile while this is a violation of NAFTA an international trade agreement and not a personal matter.

I have to agree with Sonia and her husband . The Mexican Government is probably being pressured to disregard the NAFTA  agreement.

It is up to the Canadian and US governments to take this up with Mexico and by applying an import tax on vehicles produced in Mexico they could quickly accomplish this. Lets make it punitive, say 15-20%, that should get their attention. Might get some jobs flowing North.

Many expats came to Mexico under the old rules when anyone with an FM3 could maintain their NOB vehicle here for as long as they wanted. The rules changed and not everyone can afford to comply with the new ones.

As long as Mexico wants to ignore an International Agreement who can blame expats for ignoring Mexico's illegal importation requirements.

Canadians can write to Paul.Huynh@international.gc.ca

Americans write your State Senator.

It does not matter if you are a resident of Mexico or the US or Canada. It only matters that you are concerned with Mexico's stand regarding the importation of motor vehicle and their non-compliance with NAFTA. Future Expats really need to know this. Countries like Belize and Panama are much more lenient.

I mentioned it to the US Consulate how they should complain about the breach of the NAFTA treaty.  Still even legalizing properly will run a few thousand dollars and not worth it for most cars.  I did my truck a few years ago, a 2004 Chevy Tahoe SUV Z71 4x4 fully loaded and sometimes I wonder if it was worth it.  Insurance low balls value as it was never sold here, if it is totaled or stolen I'm taking a huge loss, great truck I paid $50,000US new for at dealer.  They dont sell them here, only 2 years they really sold Tahoes and none I see are 4x4 nor with Z71 off road package.

Well Bon is lucky -that is a stunningly beautiful vehicle, sleek and classy, probably intimidates the police. A rich, possibly powerful chilango. There are a lot of white/Euro Mexicans in CDMX. Be careful in Guadalajara right now, an epidemic of car jacking - but according to my friend(s), they are mostly looking for newer U.S. muscle cars, stripped for parts.

As far as newer rare trucks, like Spencer's, buyers will come down from the U.S. with a flat bed trailer and take it back to the U.S.. Especially for duallies and diesels.

For EZPZ, do whatever makes you comfortable - but if "they" threaten to confiscate your vehicle, you have to be genuinely prepared to walk away, this has to be in your mind, because if you don't believe it, "they" are trained to spot lies. This is for foreign plated vehicles, many worth less than $3,000 U.S.

Well, the posts here are more informative than on the thread I started...hmmm....  So, let me see if I got this straight.  A US plated car must be returned to the border to complete the sticker issue.    Then the buyer, a foreigner who lives in MX and is in the process of getting a Permanente visa,  has to register the car in the "normal" way, whatever that is, and.would have to go through an additional complicated, risky, and expensive procedure - up there???  to "nationalize" the car to be legal.

Or,,, there is nothing a permanente visa person can do about buying a car except to buy MX?  The car in question is only $2500 USD and in very good condition.  Without any anecdotes or snark, can someone explain and/or clarify?  I just want to understand the whole process so I can make my own decision based on solid facts.

After reading these responses I'm wondering what the actual advantage of having a Permanente visa is, other than not having to renew every year!  Everything changed a few years ago, and I'm not clear on the issues that did not pertain directly to me at the time.   Muchisimas gracias....

If the car is foreign plated, the seller must have a Temporary import permit.

A car with a temporary import permit cannot be sold in Mexico.

The seller could agree to sell the car in the USA, if it is taken there by anyone with a letter of permission, and the TIP is removed and receipted by Banjercito & the receipt returned to the seller.

The buyer of such a car will be responsible for registration/title in the USA before being able to import it in his own name with a TIP in Mexico.

This only applies to people with tourist permits or temporary residence permits. Those with Residente Permanente are prohibited from owning or temporarily importing a vehicle and may not drive one, unless owned by an immediate family member.

So, your “buyer in the process of becoming Residente Permanente“, would not be able to import the car temporarily. He would have to export if from the USA through a customs broker, at a cost of a few thousand USD, and then permanently import it into Mexico IF, AND ONLY IF, the car is NAFTA manufactured and of the correct age & model, AND, if he is eligible to import such a vehicle at all.

Frankly......it is not worth thinking about; even if the car were free.

If you are a permanent Resident and have a low valued foreign registered vehicle (under $3000) you are financially ahead of the game to just keep driving it with expired plates and liability insurance only.  Do not drive it on federal highways, into Guadalajara or other major centers such as over to PV. Then on the extremely unlikely event that you do get stopped and threatening with confiscation, be prepared to hand over the keys and thank the nice police officer for helping you to get rid of your problem!

Don't sweat the small stuff.  

Unless you get stopped by a SAT truck then you will be detained and car taken and fined $150,000 pesos, I have seen it.  Hasn't happened much in the past but there are increasing events around this area of the country.

34 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Unless you get stopped by a SAT truck then you will be detained and car taken and fined $150,000 pesos, I have seen it.  Hasn't happened much in the past but there are increasing events around this area of the country.

This boils it all down quite nicely:   
As Chillin advises:  People often break the rules, because there's  currently   only a small chance of getting caught.

While Spencer reports the real-world   stiff   consequences   if-when  you get caught.

... Each person chooses   for themselves   which route to use,  and suffers/enjoys   the consequences.

Final Notes:
 Spencer will come to give real help when called.

The car sellers & Chillin ... likely do not return those calls ?

Archived