Chapala.com Webboard

side trip destination sought

I am a snowbird wintering in Ajijic.   Last year I had a lovely visit to Guanajuato after getting destination suggestions on this forum.  I will travel by bus out of Guadajara.    I enjoy exploring the different food venues from a street vendors on up.    Right now I have Morelia on my list of possibilities.   Thanks for any help!

Morelia is a wonderful stop, among the mroe picturesque in this part of Mexico.

Though it originally might sound a bit too far, a visit to Mexico City provides many diverse

cultural and social experiences. Within a relatively small central core can be found museums,

restaurants, markets and opportunities to see myriad examples of Mexican artesana from

the earliest to modern times.

Zacatecas is another beautiful city to visit although it is cooler at 8,100 feet and about an hour further by car than Morelia but it is well worth a visit.

One of our favorite close destinations was a little town called Pozos de Minerales  also referred to as San Pedro de los Pozos which was also a silver mining town in the high desert all but abandoned at the turn of the 20th century. It is picking up artists tired of the big town living in nearby San Miguel de Allende. It's right off Hwy 57 about an hour north of Queretero also a great destination and about 90 minutes from San Luis Potosi. Dolores Hidalgo is also very close.

Once there it's a fairly short trip to Xilitla, a beautiful drive coming from the high desert mountains almost void of vegetation to the greeen mountains influenced by the moisture from the Gulf of Mexico at Veracruz. The wacky, surreal gardens built by artist Edward James in a subtropical rain forest.

Then if you head north to Ciudad Valles you'll encounter many waterfalls that are pretty spectacular.

The point is that there are many destinations in Mexico that can be reached in a day from Ajijic that are well worth your time.

3 hours ago, Bontekoe said:

Zihuatanejo fantastic beach, charming fishing village, a far cry from highly commercialized Puerto Vallarta

My favorite beach city.  Alas it is listed as not safe to drive/bus  to Zihuatanejo according to   US state department.  Airplane is fine.   Guerrero other than Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa is listed as not safe for driving.   Buses have been stopped by bad guys whether political bad guys or just normal thieves.  Yes I know many people would still go but  one should be aware. Seems to be getting worse in Guerrero.  Sad for locals.

Queretaro is wonderful -- clean, beautiful, a little slice of Italy IMHO.  Just an hour and change down the way is a wonderful place called Tequisquiapan and then there is the wine region and the beautiful town of Pena de Bernal.  All of these destinations are about the equivalent of going to Morelia -- 4 hours or so by bus.  I found Queretaro, particularly, to be quite sophisticated and European feeling which is a nice change.

Mexico Desconocido (unknown Mexico) is a glossy magazine with lots of information,

maps, photos and videos about travel destinations large and small throughout Mexico.

Website allows search using any terms you choose.  Website has pop-ups asking you

to subscribe, but you can just close the pop-up and continue without registering or signing up.

http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx

Archived