Chapala.com Webboard

Great lunch at La Ancla

holdrja

We had a great lunch at La Ancla today.  We got the grill for two --asked for lamb instead of beef arrachera - also had a thin piece of rib steak and a nice big hunk of filet mignon, like a piece of chateaubriand.  And it came with great grilled veggies (asparagus, carrot, zuchini, scallions) and a lovely salad with walnuts, cheese and a good vinaigrette.  The meal started with nice little hot rolls and a home-made garlic aioli to put on them.  All this, for 260 pesos for 2 people.  Highly recommended!

I think the steak is better at Gaucho Tequila BUT you have to pay extra for everything else.  I understand that's the custom in Argentina perhaps, but give Gaucho's fairly high prices, I'd much rather have the type of meal we got at La Ancla.

We had avoided El Ancla for quite a while until we heard that Alejandro was back as head chef. Five of us decided to give it a try for dinner and it was excellent. Just like when they originally opened a couple years ago before  Alejandro left for Monte Cristo. They are now back on our go to list !

On 7/6/2016 at 3:41 PM, twelveoaks said:

We had avoided El Ancla for quite a while until we heard that Alejandro was back as head chef. Five of us decided to give it a try for dinner and it was excellent. Just like when they originally opened a couple years ago before  Alejandro left for Monte Cristo. They are now back on our go to list !

Just had lunch there (Thursday at noon), so here's my take:

Spouse and I both had burgers; he with the fries and I with the salad side.  He said the fries were better than the average but not a #10; however he ate them all except for a few I stole.  I liked them, too.  Cooked in healthy oil.  My salad included greens, tomato, cucumber and avocado slices with a tasty vinagrette dressing. More than a few bites.

The burger:  huge excellent meat patty.  Up there with any competition. Flavored with (I think) chives in the mix.  The add-on stand had everthing you'd probably want, along with a row of dressings, should you want more goo. Included:  warm mushrooms, jalapenas, tomatoes, onions, pickles, greens and a few more I've forgotten.

Service:  pleasant and attentive but not intrusive.

Price:  85 pesos, but worth it for that "hamburger steak" of a patty.  Next time, I'll skip the bun and just throw some of the warm mushrooms from the add-on stand on it.  Cheese on it: quality light cheese. They also have chicken breast or shrimp burgers for  a little more.

Buns:  Better level, but still Bimbo; wasn't quite up to the big burger for staying power and it collapsed along the way.  A  French roll would work better.

• 2 weeks later...

I raved about our burger lunch last week.  Now, for the bad news.  We went there for lunch today and decided to splurge on what used to be a couple of our favorites in the olden days.  I had the stuffed chicken in poblano sauce. The chicken required a steak knife to cut: very, very tough.  The carrots were nearly raw; the stuffing was mashed potatoes.  No thrill there.  Husband had lamb arracherra;  also very tough, and part was raw.  Also not happy.  Maybe it's because it was lunchtime, but in any event, I won't be ordering that again.:(

I'm hoping the burgers are still as I described before.

• 2 months later...

There have been some changes recently at El Ancla. We have eaten there regularly for some time as it is close to home and the food was good.

We now find the the portions have reduced significantly and we both now go away feeling underfed. It is not my idea that I should need to have a dessert to complete the meal as I have never eaten desserts as part of a meal and in any event I have a slight sugar problem and don't wish to make it worse. We had a chat with the owner as our regular waiter was not there and he seemed to indicate that that is how things are now and not likely to change.

We quietly said that we ate there several time a month and that we would not be back in the foreseeable future. We felt we did the right thing by talking to the owner so please if you have a problem at any restaurant lakeside ask to speak to the owner or head waiter and let them know how you feel. That is the only way they will find out

Archived