Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel international plan question

Ok so we bought the telcel  pay by the minute international plan that uses the same minutes in Mexico, USA, and Canada.  So we are in US and we can call people but people can't call us.  This is on two separate phones.  Is there a magic code or do you have to turn roaming on?????  Confused I am.

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

Ok so we bought the telcel  pay by the minute international plan that uses the same minutes in Mexico, USA, and Canada.  So we are in US and we can call people but people can't call us.  This is on two separate phones.  Is there a magic code or do you have to turn roaming on?????  Confused I am.

Could you give me some details on the ''pay by the minute international plan''?

Thanks

They have fixed plans at Telcel that work with a cellphone for all three countries. Too expensive for me as I don't talk much on a cell phone so it sits so  I bought minutes (pesos) that last for about a  month and it works in all three countries. Its about 100 pesos or so a month to keep it going if you don't use it much.   I had my own cellphone.  I think the cards are 100P for 25days and 200P good for 30 days. 

Your mileage may vary

We just returned from a lot of traveling in the US and we have the unlimited NOB & Mex plan. We could call anybody, but no one could call us even using the prefix mentioned above. Our friends say their phone would give them a message that they couldn't call internationally. When I bought the plan I was told it would work both ways; us calling out and our friends calling in. Nope. Even the brochures and internet info say it works for both incoming and outgoing. So people would text us (no problem with that) and we would call them back. I called Telcel and was told that I was supposed to have set something up BEFORE I left Mexico so that people could call us when we got to the US. I understood that by having the plan everything was already "set up". Next time we travel we'll go to Telcel and explain the situation and see what they suggest and until they work out the bugs I would recommend others talk to them before traveling as well..

3 hours ago, moonhill said:

We just returned from a lot of traveling in the US and we have the unlimited NOB & Mex plan. We could call anybody, but no one could call us even using the prefix mentioned above. Our friends say their phone would give them a message that they couldn't call internationally. When I bought the plan I was told it would work both ways; us calling out and our friends calling in. Nope. Even the brochures and internet info say it works for both incoming and outgoing. So people would text us (no problem with that) and we would call them back. I called Telcel and was told that I was supposed to have set something up BEFORE I left Mexico so that people could call us when we got to the US. I understood that by having the plan everything was already "set up". Next time we travel we'll go to Telcel and explain the situation and see what they suggest and until they work out the bugs I would recommend others talk to them before traveling as well..

Were your friends calling you from Canada, USA, or Mexico. Were they using a cell or landline?  Are you on a monthly plan, or Amigo pre-paid?

4 hours ago, moonhill said:

Many cell carriers in the USA require the user to have an International calling plan.  You MX number is not a local call when in the USA!

Telcel's Max Sin Limite plan offers unlimited calls to Mexico, US and Canada for $199 pesos/month including 1gb of data. The comparable T-Mobile Simple Choice plan with 2gb of data costs $50US.

Telcel's Amigo Sin Limite costs $100 pesos for 25 days including 300mb of data and $150 and up for 30 days and data starting at 350mb going up to 1.5mb for $500 pesos which of course would make no sense if you could get the same amount of data using a regular plan at half that amount.

The Amigo plans also offer payment by the minute. 

All of these options are easily accessible on their web site.

Instagram, WhatsApp, Facetime, Telegram and others are easy ways to communicate around the world using only data.

Last Christmas I was walking toward the house when the cell phone rang. It was a Facetime video call from my son and his family who made a last minute trip to Paris. Very good video and audio quality too. Once you start using these new cell phones you'll be amazed at what they can do for very little money, at least when compared to US cell plans.

• 6 months later...

Add money here at the Oxxo or wherever, using your friend's cell number. It will be applied immediately to the phone; then if it turns up at their end, all is well. If it does not, then it can't be used there anyway.

41 minutes ago, rad55sa said:

I have a friend who is in Canada right now and wants to recharge their Telcel phone. They want the SL100 plan. If I buy the time here, can they activate by texting SL100 to 5050 while they are in Canada?

Thanks

An easy option to do it themselves while out of Mexico: I just added money to a Telcel phone at a CVS in the US, all done on their computer (near the photo shop or front register) with very clear instructions (altho the CVS staff had no clue they could even do it.) If you go to the telcel website it gives you a list of international locations (mostly money-order type establishments) including CVS; you press your country of phone registry, service provider, key in the phone number, and amount of payment. In the US it is in USD increments, starting at $5.00 (but the US added tax; go figure.)  I had an instant confirmation text on my phone just as if I had added another tarjeta amigo or added time elsewhere in Mexico.

Archived