Chapala.com Webboard

Drivers License Renewal with facilitator

My office does it.  We also check for problems with CURP and names which is common so you dont have to make 2 trips. 

I did it myself at the Plaza los Torres on Lazaro Cardenes.  It was a 20 minute slam dunk, and my Spanish is not good.  Read the article on page 14 in this week's Reporter about getting your license in Chapala.  They issued 200 new licenses and renewals last Friday and are going to do it again in four weeks.  If I needed a facilitator, I too would use Luzma Grande.  She's really good.

Lost CURP is easy, call my office and I can get yous for free.  The name things and CURP is important as they wont let you renew if things dont match and it is another document to present and have approved before you go to Guadalajara, also slightly different for lost licenses.  Luis from my office takes people, knows it well and has 2 kids so lets give him the support. 

Adriana at 331 172 1724 just did 2 in Chapala. They will be doing them there again about July 22nd. If you can't wait until then she will take you into Guadalajara to do it.

CURP info and replacement: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/etc..html

Just enter your CURP number which is usually on the front of your visa. In some places like SMA it is always on your visa card. You may also use lower portion of web site and enter name, D.O.B. and at bottom of drop down select the last option. 

To initially obtain a CURP visit Inmigracion.

saludos

Sonia

Yep, I walked into the Chapala immigration office, filled out a form requesting a CURP, went back in about 10 days and they handed it to me.  Bring your passport, immigration docment, utility bill and a copy of each.  That's where you'd go for a replacement card.but, like Sonia says, it's really easy on the web page she cited.

• 2 weeks later...

Luzma Grande took me into Guadalajara for my Mexican driver's license yesterday.  She is very knowledgeable and made it very easy.  I took the computer test with an employee translating and practically taking it for me.  Then we went out to the course and I first hopped on the motorcycle with 50 muchachos watching and Luzman yelling for me to not put my feet down.  I said, "What about when I stop?" and everyone laughed and cheered me on.  I was most likely to oldest lady they had ever seen take the motorcycle course.  After riding my scoot for the past six years it felt good to straddle a real bike again.  I had previously explained to Luzma that I hadn't parallel parked a car since Driver's Ed training in High School.  And never on the left side of the street.  Motorcycles, motorhomes and 18 wheelers don't generally park that way.  Again Luzma yelled, "Don't forget your seat belt!"  I finished the course with a perfect park and exited the car with lots of good hearted calls and whistles.  One fellow said, "You did everything perfect" and I answered, " I'm an old lady and I've been doing it for a long time."  In the end there was a glitch in my paperwork and she went from person to person getting it straightened out while I waited.  Thanks to Luzma it was a fun day and she was worth every peso.

Some have issues where their CURP or name doesnt match.  In these cases forms must be filled out and presented at transito and then they have to correct the erroneous license information, usually takes 2 weeks, if not then when you go you will be turned back, not fun. 

10 hours ago, ezpz said:

What about getting a brand new MX drivers license?  My CA license expired years ago, but I have been carless.  If I decide to buy a car, I'll have to get a new one - how do you study for it, etc.?

This site will start you off:

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lees-place/DrivingTest.html

11 hours ago, ezpz said:

What about getting a brand new MX drivers license?  My CA license expired years ago, but I have been carless.  If I decide to buy a car, I'll have to get a new one - how do you study for it, etc.?

Check out this string from May 7th;

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/61552-mexican-drivers-licence/#comment-486440

If the angel fire link for the test questions doesn't work check for them here;

http://www.accesslakechapala.com/guide/driving-in-mexico/drivers-license/

• 5 weeks later...

They will only renew your license if your name exactly matches your IDs (passport and immigration card), also only if your CURP is correct (if your license was issued prior to your CURP then there shouldnt be an issue).  If data doesnt match then you need to submit a data change request to Guadalajara, they approve it in 2 weeks and with the resolution you can renew.

• 10 months later...

I just got my Mexican License today, my 70th birthday!!!  What a breeze.  Why so easy?  I used Eduardo to drive and translate for me.  I got his name off a Chapala.com blog from back in 2014.  We left early for Guadalajara and battled traffic but he knew the way even around lots of construction that was going on and he helped me to go to the head of every line (about 6 stations for finger prints, test-touch screen in English, pictures etc...), there were may people in front of me but I was over 55 or what ever and we shot through till the end where we waited for the license to be printed out.  About 1 1/2 hours in all.  We stopped for lunch at the Plaza food court at El Tapatios, had a giant burrito, very good $55 pesos! All-in-all quick and painless.  I would recommnend this to anyone who does not speak Spanish well!  $500 pesos and lunch!  Nice guy, good driver and English, been doing this for years.  Eduardo, Cell: 045 331 134 8492.  [I had all the correct Passport, CURP, DIF discount card, Phone bill, and Permanent Visa]   Good Luck, Bob!

Archived