Chapala.com Webboard

Mainecoons

Wife and I tried this new place out, always in search of a really good NOB style burger.  Would have gone to Cydneys but she closes too early for us.  Was really hoping to find great burgers in this east to walk to (for us) location.

Not here.  This is a fail.

Overcooked, drowning in sauces, tomato sliced way too thick, Bimbo equivalent bun.  Fries OK but on some sort of paper that got mixed in with the burger which was so runny could only be eaten with a knife and fork after the bun was discarded.

90 Pesos for a burger 30 pesos for a draft beer.  Not worth the price of admission in our opinion.  Cocinart around the corner does burgers better.

Oh, and uncomfortable furniture.

I totally disagree, without a doubt the best burger I have had in Mexico. Who complains about having tomatoes cut to thick, I guess the meat was to thick as well. The fries are the best around as well. The owner (Roberto) is a great guy, this post will not help him or his family. You can order off the board or just order your burger the way you want it.

This section is for us to post our honest opinions of local restaurants, not our opinions of other restaurant patrons.  

Some times the restaurant opinions posted here are not positive.  As a customer, I view my role as paying for a meal and getting one, worth the price.  It is not taking care of restaurant owners or falling in love with them.  I've never eaten in a restaurant here whose owners I didn't like.  

I'm not eating the owners, I'm eating the food.

I can't tell you how many restaurants with nice folks have come and gone around here in the last 8 years of our full time residency because the food didn't measure up.  This is a very tough town to run a restaurant in.  Many are called but few are chosen.  We are a tough audience in this town. :)

We have many places around here that have withstood the test of time because they understand their role as business people who will prosper if they please the majority of their customers.  This one will too if most people disagree with our opinion of the place.

Also, as the price goes up my expectations go along with them and for 90 pesos I expect something better than what we were served.  Really, IMO the buns were inexcusable in this price range.

BTW, that's "too" thick.  As in it overwhelmed the bun and burger and made it even mushier.  If I thought the patty was too thick or thin I would have written so.  It was as expected for a 200 g burger.  The meat quality was quite good.  Although we asked for the same cooking mine was overcooked, hers was about right.

The best burgers are those that strike the right balance between toppings and meat and sauces such that they are juicy without being downright sloppy.  These didn't make the grade in the balance department in our view.

The fries are OK, better than most, but could be crispier.  I'd give the fries an "8" versus a "5" for the burger.

Try the burgers at Cydney's, Brunos and Cocinart and get back to us.  All three beat this one IMHO.

MC--I agree this is the place where we voice our opinions of the food we've just had.

I'd guess from Texmextwo's somewhat (too) heated response he has a bias not just an opinion. But if this is the best hamburger he's had in all of Mexico and he knows from hamburgers--wow for us living at Lakeside.

We'll need others to turn in their reports on Burgueria de la Ribera.

Today a friend and I tried the hamburger at C-2's that's been so highly praised. Really nice, 85 pesos with choice of curly fries or slaw and ice tea, guided there by the many good reviews on Chapala.com.

That's how it goes.

Lexy

Wife and I went there yesterday and tried out the burgers.

Like Mainecoons we thought the buns were a disaster. The meat patties were large and ours were cooked right. The hamburger and fillings were good, but need a better bun.

The fries were OK, a little on the limp side. Under the heat lamp too long? 

The benches in the rear are like sitting on a washboard, diffidently will give you waffle butt.

Did find a great beer there one called Pulqueza, a strong blond ale made in Guadalajara. Almost like a Belgium strong ale.

Probably go back if nothing else for the beer.

As discussed at length, Bruno's has the best burger in town, hands down. Burgueria has issues with both the burger and the fries. Making a good burger is not that complicated. Google Bobby Flay burgers. That works good on charcoal. If you have a griddle or fry pan, shape the burger in a ball and put it in a HOT pan and press down once and only turn once so you get a nice char on both sides. Cut the tomato and onion thin, like MC says, so  your burger is not overly thick. 

Tom, in your opinion Bruno's has the best burger in town. There has never been (nor will there ever be) one burger considered best by everyone. Bruno's is right up there among the most favored, one of those by which other burgers are judged. Anyone breaking into the burger business here has some stiff competition. 

My wife and I tried this restaurant yesterday.  I love a good burger.  We sat at a picnic table in the back but I needed to use the lone paper napkin to wipe the ants off the surface.  Loved the idea of a menu with 15 burgers on it.  We were served our burgers with seasoned potato wedges (ran out of fries?) that were so-so.  We had to ask for silverware and napkins.  It would really help if they put the sauces on the upper half of the bun as the bottom half is way too thin to keep from getting soggy.  This required us to eat the burger with knife and fork. Salt and pepper shakers were not available.  Both of our meat patties were not firm leading me to think they had cereal filler.  The wait staff were friendly but a little more attention to detail is going to be necessary to compete.  Offering a French roll instead of a thin bun would help a whole lot. Cydneys, Gosha's, Perry's and Bruno's already have a head start in the burger market making a first impression of a new restaurant very important if they want to compete.  Our's wasn't a good one and we won't be back until I read they have made some positive changes.     

Tonight I had the peanut butter and bacon burger and it was wonderful.  Frankly, I don't understand the bun complaint.  What would you like?.  I usually eat a burger with a knife and fork especially one with a patty so large.  My fries were very nice and well salted.  I am not a big fan of fries but did eat my share of these.

northernnewbie: the basic bun problem around here for me is that, while it looks like a typical hamburger bun, the bread is way too full of air to allow it to be stable. So the bun begins to disintegrate with the first hint of any liquid. Bimbo seems to be the bun of choice for most restaurants, and while it may be able to stand up to a typical cheap-joint hamburgreasa... just a thin patty and a piece of cheese... it is no good for a quality burger either in terms of taste or holding power. As someone posted, even the WalMart bakery buns are better, although not much.

In fact, most Mexican breads are too full of air, and they all taste the same.

I've never before recommended a "chain" restaurant for anything but.......Carl's Jr. has the best hamburger that I've ever eaten anywhere in the world.......including my own home and we consider ourselves not only knowledgeable but very, very particular.   One of their newest locations is just south of GDL on the west side of Lopez Mateos as you head south after leaving the newer Costco was our most recent destination.  (They have numerous locations in and around GDL)  Not only is the burger totally exceptional, free of filler, top quality USDA beef but they also bake their own buns daily and it is a bun that completely make all buns that have been mentioned in the posts herein........a joke!  We're fortunate here at Lakeside in that we can buy exceptional quality beef and we have sources where a suitable 80/20 mix is commonly available.  However, what's available as a suitable bun (of suitable size and texture that will stay together while supporting a 5 or 6 oz. patty) here at Lakeside is very, very discouraging.  Eating a burger with a knife and fork because the bun has disintegrated, in my humble opinion, is not how one enjoys a burger!  Do a little research and go the the Carl's Jr. website and read about an organization that represents quality and value and a "great burger experience" and next time you have the opportunity try it for yourself. Oh yes..........you won't see dirty surroundings or unkempt staff who no absolutely nothing about sanitation and you'll also have someone who's in a supervisory capacity check up on your experience.  Doesn't happen often here at Lakeside!

Wow, they must have really changed their burgers in the last four years. To my mind, they were some of the worst burgers I've ever eaten. If it wasn't for the BBQ sauce they love to put on them, they would have been a slimey, tasteless mess. And the BBQ sauce isn't even unique; it's like your basic bottled noname.

In December 2014, Carl’s Jr. introduced the All-Natural Burger, featuring an all-natural, grass-fed, free-range beef patty that has no added hormones, antibiotics or steroids - the first major fast-food chain to offer an all-natural beef patty on the menu. In December 2015, the All-Natural Turkey Burger was introduced – the fast food industry’s first.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned Trip's Burger. IMHO, it is one of the better burgers at lakeside. Now, I will readily admit that I am partial to the "California-style" burger that Trip serves, others may not be. AND I'M SURE THAT WE'RE ALL GOING TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE TRIP'S. ;-)

Whenever I want to eat a thicker burger, I'm all over the one served at Bruno's. And I will DEFINITELY try the Carl Jr's on Lopez Mateos on my next trip up to Guad. Thanks for that tip and great background info Carnivore!

I don't know what a California-style burger is supposed to be. First time in L.A., I hit a famous burger place on the strip: it was a California Burger, because it had avocado on it. In those days, I really did not like that surprise.

But to answer your concern, nobody has mentioned Trip's because months ago most comments here focussed on how disappointing, tasteless, and tiny the burgers are.

On 7/1/2016 at 5:43 PM, Mainecoons said:
18 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:
17 hours ago, Carnivore said:
8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't know what a California-style burger is supposed to be. First time in L.A., I hit a famous burger place on the strip: it was a California Burger, because it had avocado on it. In those days, I really did not like that surprise.

But to answer your concern, nobody has mentioned Trip's because months ago most comments here focussed on how disappointing, tasteless, and tiny the burgers are.

In December 2014, Carl’s Jr. introduced the All-Natural Burger, featuring an all-natural, grass-fed, free-range beef patty that has no added hormones, antibiotics or steroids - the first major fast-food chain to offer an all-natural beef patty on the menu. In December 2015, the All-Natural Turkey Burger was introduced – the fast food industry’s first.

Wow, they must have really changed their burgers in the last four years. To my mind, they were some of the worst burgers I've ever eaten. If it wasn't for the BBQ sauce they love to put on them, they would have been a slimey, tasteless mess. And the BBQ sauce isn't even unique; it's like your basic bottled noname.

22 hours ago, Carnivore said:

I've never before recommended a "chain" restaurant for anything but.......Carl's Jr. has the best hamburger that I've ever eaten anywhere in the world.......including my own home and we consider ourselves not only knowledgeable but very, very particular.   One of their newest locations is just south of GDL on the west side of Lopez Mateos as you head south after leaving the newer Costco was our most recent destination.  (They have numerous locations in and around GDL)  Not only is the burger totally exceptional, free of filler, top quality USDA beef but they also bake their own buns daily and it is a bun that completely make all buns that have been mentioned in the posts herein........a joke!  We're fortunate here at Lakeside in that we can buy exceptional quality beef and we have sources where a suitable 80/20 mix is commonly available.  However, what's available as a suitable bun (of suitable size and texture that will stay together while supporting a 5 or 6 oz. patty) here at Lakeside is very, very discouraging.  Eating a burger with a knife and fork because the bun has disintegrated, in my humble opinion, is not how one enjoys a burger!  Do a little research and go the the Carl's Jr. website and read about an organization that represents quality and value and a "great burger experience" and next time you have the opportunity try it for yourself. Oh yes..........you won't see dirty surroundings or unkempt staff who no absolutely nothing about sanitation and you'll also have someone who's in a supervisory capacity check up on your experience.  Doesn't happen often here at Lakeside!

Wife and I tried this new place out, always in search of a really good NOB style burger.  Would have gone to Cydneys but she closes too early for us.  Was really hoping to find great burgers in this east to walk to (for us) location.

Not here.  This is a fail.

Overcooked, drowning in sauces, tomato sliced way too thick, Bimbo equivalent bun.  Fries OK but on some sort of paper that got mixed in with the burger which was so runny could only be eaten with a knife and fork after the bun was discarded.

90 Pesos for a burger 30 pesos for a draft beer.  Not worth the price of admission in our opinion.  Cocinart around the corner does burgers better.

Oh, and uncomfortable furniture.

Oh dear administrators:  This is an example of what happened when I pressed "reply".  Same as what happens when I press "quote". HELP!

Reply to Computer Guy re a "California Burger".  As a former old long time Californian, this is it:  Bun, burger, lettuce, tomato plus mayo.  Mustard optional.  Special sauces optional.  The best used to be at Bob's Big Boy until they got jumped on for using horsemeat.

Right, so a basic burger with the fixings, yeah? I've never heard it described as anything but a burger with the fixings, or the works, or something like that. I wonder what the etymology of "Califronia Burger" is, actually.

1 hour ago, moderator-2 said:

Computer Guy can you help Gringal with this problem?  I haven't a clue what is causing it and no one else has reported having the same issue with just this one thread.

I just sent him a PM, too. 

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Right, so a basic burger with the fixings, yeah? I've never heard it described as anything but a burger with the fixings, or the works, or something like that. I wonder what the etymology of "Califronia Burger" is, actually.

So right now, I'm able to reply with no problem.  Hmmmm?????

The term started with back Easters and Midwesterners encountering burgers in California with strange contents, like sprouts or avocado.  BTW, avocado is delicious in a burger.:P  Hold the sprouts, though.

As for the current restaurant under discussion, I'll pass; especially when I can get a good one at Cocinart nearby.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

The term started with back Easters and Midwesterners encountering burgers in California with strange contents, like sprouts or avocado.

Now that sounds like a California burger. So now back to MexicoMoose, to find out what he meant by the term...

On 7/1/2016 at 5:43 PM, Mainecoons said:

Hi.

first of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to talk about our restaurant. its very sad to see that you did not like our place , but we understand that is normal to a certain level . We would like to clarify a couple of things : our burgers range from $ 70 to $ 90 pesos depending on the amount of ingredients contained ,we have beers from $ 20 pesos ( draft) up to $ 50 pesos ( craft ) . thanks again for writing about us and we will take your feedback very seriously to improve what we offer. .

Archived