Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

Been here over 9 years and have had IMSS for 8 years and never used it. We checked in each year as suggested for a so-called check-up.  Well, now that we need it I was turned down and my husband is now getting the stall treatment. The female Dr. passed a comment to our translator (she did not know that I pretty much understood)that she was so happy that IMSS was going to stop insuring gringos. She said this is for Mexicans, not gringos. That is fine I have no problem with that, what I do have a problem with is that they continue to take payments giving a false sense of security. Since this happened I am now hearing from others that are also getting the stall treatment. People that could not wait any longer and had to go privately. Please think twice before you join, you may not get the help that you need when you need it. We were due to sign up in July but will not. We will continue to use private Dr's. 

Medical coverage is an important issue and I wanted to share our recent experience with those considering using IMSS and  with those who already have it. We will be talking to Lucy at LCS on Monday about this, but as I said we will not renew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was this in Chapala?

I have had IMSS for about 12 years and used numerous times with no problems,   BUT,  I have never been to the Clinic in Chapala.  I use only for Emergency Major  issues.   I go to the Emergency Room in Guad  Centro (With a Spanish Speaking person ) And have always been admitted.

I have had a Pacemaker installed & now Have terminal cancer . The tumor was removed but had spread,  but I received follow up app'ts in Guad... I have had excellent Medical Care in these situations, and the  expenses were taken care of by IMSS

Prior to the Emergency, if I needed to see a Specialized Doctor , I had Lucy make the app't for me in guad Centro and by-passed the local Clinic here in Chapala

AND to restate, I used IMSS for major and paid private Doctors for lesser

During the time mentioned , I lived in Guad for three years and used the local clinic with no problem, and I also lived in Union de Tula for one year & received very good attention.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Oldyfeliz said:

Was this in Chapala?

I have had IMSS for about 12 years and used numerous times with no problems,   BUT,  I have never been to the Clinic in Chapala.  I use only for Emergency Major  issues.   I go to the Emergency Room in Guad  Centro (With a Spanish Speaking person ) And have always been admitted.

I have had a Pacemaker installed & now Have terminal cancer . The tumor was removed but had spread,  but I received follow up app'ts in Guad... I have had excellent Medical Care in these situations, and the  expenses were taken care of by IMSS

Prior to the Emergency, if I needed to see a Specialized Doctor , I had Lucy make the app't for me in guad Centro and by-passed the local Clinic here in Chapala

AND to restate, I used IMSS for major and paid private Doctors for lesser

During the time mentioned , I lived in Guad for three years and used the local clinic with no problem, and I also lived in Union de Tula for one year & received very good attention.

 

5

Yes, Chapala. Lucy/Veronica said we had to go to Chapala first to be referred to the specialist. We already had the pre-testing done to show that we needed to see the specialist. This was the second time we had seen this Doctor and each time you could see her annoyance with us. We had IMSS only for emergencies or major issues. This was the first time we went for major issues. We have always used private here. We were both very surprised at her comments. As I mentioned before we will speak to Lucy on Monday but I do not know what she will be able to do.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bontekoe said:

We have been with IMSS for 4 years, both of us are receiving very good health care.

No problem for me, will NOT go private!

 

I am very happy for you. I wish we had had the same good experience that you have had. I was NOT telling people to go private just telling others to think twice and sharing a personal experience. Nothing more.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, purpleflower said:

Yes, Chapala. Lucy/Veronica said we had to go to Chapala first to be referred to the specialist. We already had the pre-testing done to show that we needed to see the specialist. This was the second time we had seen this Doctor and each time you could see her annoyance with us. We had IMSS only for emergencies or major issues. This was the first time we went for major issues. We have always used private here. We were both very surprised at her comments. As I mentioned before we will speak to Lucy on Monday but I do not know what she will be able to do.

 

Thanks

We are in the "been here for 8 years situation, too".  We are supposed to go into the Chapala Clinic (with Spanish speaker) for an appt. Sounds like this doctor is abusive..

If IMSS doesn't want "Gringos", why are they willingly signing us up every year?  For some of us, there are no alternatives due to age re private insurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a bad experience with a specialist and reported her to the ISSSTE federal govenment administration office at the speciality clinic where she works. She lied to me. It took about 45 mnutes to do and was investigated while I waited and then I needed to sign I  swear this is true etc, on two forms. They then gave me an appointment the next day with another specialist.

 

My wife and her family and all their friends report the government employees who annoy them. I also do now and this was 4 years ago. It is fairly easy to do. It also helps these types to get in line I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is good advice. I doubt that Lucy, a retired IMSS person, would be able to do anything at all, beyond smile and make you feel that she might........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hospital Civil in Guadalajara was closed last week for 4 days or so.  I would suspect the enitre system was under severe stress before, during and after that difficult situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, solajijic said:

The Hospital Civil in Guadalajara was closed last week for 4 days or so.  I would suspect the enitre system was under severe stress before, during and after that difficult situation.

Hospital Civil in Guadalajara is a Seguro Popular hospital not an IMSS hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes but the closing is indicative of the state of the health of public health services, both IMSS and Seguro Popular.  If you are counting on them you might want to plan a back up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, solajijic said:

Yes but the closing is indicative of the state of the health of public health services, both IMSS and Seguro Popular.  If you are counting on them you might want to plan a back up. 

It doesn´t indicate the "state" of public health services in Mexco in general at all. The Hospital Civil website explains exactly why they closed services except Emergency. They owned some venders money and a few venders cut them off. The federal and state health services had a meeting Wednesday and cut a check for $94,000,000 pesos to pay the venders. They opened all services yesterday.

 

http://www.hcg.udg.mx/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had IMSS for 9 years and use it quite often.

I would suggest you get a facilitator for IMSS that knows the people there and needs to be a bit aggressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went Tuesday for a follow up apt with female Dr. Very pleasant. Gave me my perscription and scheduled another 30 day follow up. Her secretary was absent so she did everything herself. I do speak Spanish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, solajijic said:

Yes but the closing is indicative of the state of the health of public health services, both IMSS and Seguro Popular.  If you are counting on them you might want to plan a back up. 

Any suggestions for a backup......for those over 70?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

It doesn´t indicate the "state" of public health services in Mexco in general at all. The Hospital Civil website explains exactly why they closed services except Emergency. They owned some venders money and a few venders cut them off. The federal and state health services had a meeting Wednesday and cut a check for $94,000,000 pesos to pay the venders. They opened all services yesterday.

 

http://www.hcg.udg.mx/

 

But I think not paying your bills does show the state of public health services in Mexico but I get your point about accuracy. Money is a big problem in many areas in both programs for residents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that LCS is closed today for Canada Day and also on Monday for Independence Day.

Lucy will not be available this Monday the 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:04 AM, lcscats said:

But I think not paying your bills does show the state of public health services in Mexico but I get your point about accuracy. Money is a big problem in many areas in both programs for residents.

My wife retired as a federal government top administrator for the Secretaria de Salud in our state for the Seguro Popular and said these types of late payments are not that uncommon and no big deal. The Secretaria de Salud at the top administration level funds [along with fees collected and state funds set aside for their state´s health services]  Seguro Popular, IMSS and ISSSTE  and has more money available now than ever since the Tax reforms took effect and the restructuring of the IMSS medical and pension plans. Both IMSS and Seguro Popular have had a vast expansion going on these last 10 years and have hudreds of new hospitals and clinics all over Mexico and 20  million or more  enrollments. Seguro Popular in SLP built 15 new clinics the last 2 years in the state and in the city of SLP 2 new hospitals opened 3 1/2 years ago and an operating theater and new operating rooms expansion at their very old Hospital Central which is attached to the state university medical school and upgraded their equipment and IMSS has one newer hospital and has starting remodeling and has upgraded equipment in 2 very old hospitals. These types of investments to me indicate both IMSS and Seguro Popular are not in anyway under financial stress. This upgrading is typical of the socialized medical systems in most states. Mazatlán is about to open a large state of the art IMSS hospital and Hermosillo opened a large state of the art IMSS hospital last year. Our one ISSSTE hospital here has recently been completey remodeled and has new state of the art equipment. They were in the planning stages to build a new larger hospital but the financing was put on hold by the federal government so did the remodel instead. it was falling apart. The Seretaria de Salud and health services of the state of San Luis Potosí moved into a large modern 5 story  office building the Secretaria de Salud built less than 2 years ago and gave up renting many buildings around the city. As is typical of all these hospitals and other buildings and clinics the local municipality or state needs to donate the land for them to the federal government before they build them. The total cost is the cost of the building and it´s contents. I think it has been that way all along with federal buildings but I am not sure. [donatig the land locally]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember that a few years back there was a similar problem at the Chapala location and in the end the Dra. in charge was moved elsewhere.  That would predate the change of location of this forum so finding the posts from that time is probably not possible.  Could that Dra. have reappeared here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hensley said:

We have had IMSS for 9 years and use it quite often.

I would suggest you get a facilitator for IMSS that knows the people there and needs to be a bit aggressive.

 

Lucy does know the people there and the translator is someone that she highly recommended. The Dr. that we were assigned to does not like Gringos and has said so. According to our facilitator, the other female Dr. is very very nice. We also found out that the Director is new and that the manager that gave so many trouble is gone. We were told that we will have to get a lawyer to fight the decision made on my needed surgery. It seems that we were just lucky enough to get assigned to a Dr. that has a personal dislike for non Mexicans using the system. We will be speaking to Lucy on Tuesday to see if there is anything she can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Just went Tuesday for a follow up apt with female Dr. Very pleasant. Gave me my perscription and scheduled another 30 day follow up. Her secretary was absent so she did everything herself. I do speak Spanish.

 

Our facilitator told us that the other female Dr. was very nice so apparently, you got lucky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, purpleflower said:

Lucy does know the people there and the translator is someone that she highly recommended. The Dr. that we were assigned to does not like Gringos and has said so. According to our facilitator, the other female Dr. is very very nice. We also found out that the Director is new and that the manager that gave so many trouble is gone. We were told that we will have to get a lawyer to fight the decision made on my needed surgery. It seems that we were just lucky enough to get assigned to a Dr. that has a personal dislike for non Mexicans using the system. We will be speaking to Lucy on Tuesday to see if there is anything she can do.

Here if a diagnosis is done by a private secialist the IMSS will consider it valid and if not 2 diagnosis done will do the trick in most appeal cases where an IMSS specialist was involved without the need for a lawyer. Just forms filled out and presented to the appeal board. Note that in some cases age has a limit on what operations and treatment can be approved. They have lists of this in their services manual and it starts at 60 years old and  older. They will not do vascular surgery on a 75 year old and older person for fear they will die because of it for example. Also they evaluate prospective operation patients to confirm there is no risk that they might not survive the proceedure. If your EKG is weak they wll not operate for example. Also they will not treat certain diseases. If this Dra. is a GP and refuses to send you for diagnosis to an IMSS specialist at your request she might have asked questions you answered wrong. In this case go to a private secialist for diagnosis and return with the diagnosis and demand to see an IMSS specialist. If she still refuses report her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...