Chapala.com Webboard

Advice for Moving to Ajijic

Beverly, you need to come down for a visit and see if it is the place for you or not.  Spend a couple weeks, stay at a bed and breakfast, meet a bunch of people, hire a driver to show you some of the local attractions, maybe take a trip into Guadalajara, and at the end of that 2 weeks you will know whether you like it enough to give it a try.  If so, come down and find a rental that you like and give that a try for 3 - 6 months, then you will know whether you found your paradise, or whether you need to keep looking.  Lakeside isn't for everybody, but it is a place a lot of us call home now.  While you are renting you can look around and find the area that you would like to live in.  There are lots of considerations that you will have to evaluate, car or no car, noise, gated community versus independent home, good internet speed or not, electrical outages or not, flooding during rainy season or not, but you'll get answers to all these questions over time.  Don't be in a hurry to buy, take your time and you'll find your little piece of heaven.  But to start off, come on down for a visit and see what you think.

17 hours ago, Beverly said:

Thanks again for all this feedback!  No doubt this is a huge commitment and we are doing alot of soul searching.  We think we are ready for retirement in our 50's and ask ourselves if we think we can stay busy and be fullfilled in Ajijic.   It sounds like there is plenty to do and with mild weather we can be outdoors most of the year.  I appreciate the feedback about accepting that Mexico is different and if we can't relax and go with the flow, reconsider. 

What is considered the center of Ajijic?  The main drag?  Where all the noise is?   We were considering living (renting at first) between the center of the village and Walmart (since we won't have wheels).

Buses are cheap and Taxis coming home with your groceries from Walmart would be 50 P (2.60USD) or so.  Ajijic is a village so center of the village I guess would be around the OXXO convenience store.  You could live on the hill above the highway or below.  Crossing the highway is a negative but we find less mosquitos on the hill.  Everything has good points and bad points.   I live in upper west ajijic and walk to Walmart everyday but I would say I am unusual. You are young so I assume you can walk.  Please bring sensible shoes.  Ladies try Keens which are about as stylish as walking sandals come.  Teva for Men.  Roads are all made of rocks.  No silly shoes please.  Many people fall when they first arrive.   CAREFUL.

A lot of good advice is being offered to you.  Try to absorb it all.  PM me if you want to talk as I retired at 52 and am now 62.   

Zed has good advice.

I live on the other side of WalMart in San Antonio. I can walk to WalMart with ease, and I am not that great of a walker or physically active.

I can also walk to Superlake, an OXXO, a 7-11, a lighting store, design store, hardware store and several restaurants.

The bus stops outside my subdivision and it definitely makes things easier.

Sturdy, comfy shoes are a must !!!

Feel free to give me a call or a PM when you come down.

Archived