Chapala.com Webboard

Sticker Shock at Arileo

jhark

I decided to try the prime rib at Arileo.  It was very good and served with a very small baked potato and lettuce with one small cherry tomato cut in half.

HOWEVER, 295p???????????  I know I should have asked the price, my bad!  But never again.  It was good but not that good.

Well I wish I could find a "good" prime rib in Vallarta for $295.

I know where to get a great hamburger with a beer or margarita included for $74 but not that elusive prime rib. Costco is the answer but that USDA Choice is not cheap either.

We have lunch there at least once a week. I like the fact that it's very uncrowded at that time, and there is a VERY reasonable special "brunch" menu card (which is strictly a "lunch" menu, with no typical brunch items....but no matter).  A  few very generously portioned sandwiches, burgers and sweet or regular potato fries or veggies are offered, or a salad or small pizza. We generally have dinner at home.  However,  we were given a  complimentary dinner card and took advantage of their Friday night Prime Rib special.  I don't know what others were served, but it started with a soup/salad choice, then a large slice of tender prime rib with what was plenty of potato for my taste.  This was followed by dessert; a big piece of cheesecake.  If you're a prime rib fan, it's a good deal, in my taste bud's opinion.:P

Costco meats are fine, but doing the prime rib is a project which I don't mind passing up for a fine restaurant meal. I've had some good carnivorous meals at Bruno's but the ambiance...meh.

I really don't understand the constant outrage I read about on this board over restaurant prices in Ajijic. They offer some of the best deals around, anywhere. Bar none. I am currently in Vancouver and can assure everyone that prime rib, especially the high quality imported prime rib that Arileo offers, is most definitely NOT available here for anywhere near their extremely reasonable price.

Here is a link to a menu from one of Vancouver's own popular steak houses that you can use to thank your lucky stars you live in Ajijic. Of course, if you really do enjoy being outraged over prices all the time, Vancouver is the place for you! Multiply the prices you see by 14.5 to get the Canadian dollar to Mexican peso rate. The porterhouse steak, the same cut as a prime rib, goes for MXP$1072, then you add extra if you also want a potato and a tomato.

http://hyssteakhouse.com/menus/whistler

and here is another one..

http://www.glowbalgroup.com/blackblue/

Another popular YVR steak eatery, the Keg, doesn't even post their prices online....  just sayin...

In late May we purchased a 9 lb USDA Prime Rib roast from our long time meat supplier in GDL.  "Carnes Finas De Sonora E Importadas.  It was $1,869.45MN and worth every peso. We have never been disappointed......... they supply the majority of "high end" restaurants in GDL.  So, our cost per lb was approx. 11.25USD or 15.65CDN.  In San Francisco our most recent Prime Rib dinner, before tax, for an 8 oz. serving was $26.00USD and a 12 oz. serving $33.00USD.   That's the equivalent of $47.20USD per lb. but, as it was a great restaurant and they did all the work...and the meat was simply wonderful..........it was worth every cent!   

6 hours ago, gringal said:

I don't know what others were served, but it started with a soup/salad choice, then a large slice of tender prime rib with what was plenty of potato for my taste.  This was followed by dessert; a big piece of cheesecake. 

The meal did not start with a soup/salad choice and did not end with dessert and the meat was about a 6 ounce serving.  Don't get me wrong the meat was excellent but next time I will have their vacio which is what I usually get.  It is tasty, a much larger serving, and only 189 pesos.

To those of you comparing prices to the U.S. and Canada, I don't live in either of those places and there are plenty of places to get a good meal in this area for way less than 295.  I was shocked at the price because I think there were only a couple of things on the menu over 200p.

I have eaten there many times and will return because the food has always been excellent I just won't get a special.

I would think national beef would be considered inexpensive but if the cow comes from US or CDN beef the price would be much more.  Especially if aged or grain finished or whatever.  My point being it depends where the cow came from NOT where it's eaten.   Just a thought!

The serving of prime rib is delicious, very thick cut and huge. About a pound of meat, would be my guess. Easy two meals for me. Makes the price more reasonable. I love that place and most everything on their menu.

My favorite place to splurge.

Like airlines who won't drop their prices, even though the price of oil is one fifth what it was when they all went ticket crazy, the price of beef has been steadily falling because the cost of grain and shipping has dropped substantially over the past year. But we're not seeing that reflected in real terms at restaurants anywhere here or up north. My feeling is they want us to keep believing that prices are still going up. On a like note, the abundant resurgence of lobster catches in the past two years should be showing us a remarkable drop in both wholesale and retail prices, and I haven't see that reflected in the marketplace either.

Actually CG, the cost of beef has been rising in the US for the past 2 or so years. And it has been rising here at Costco as that is US beef. The cause is more complex than just the one input, grain costs. Drought in parts of the prime grazing lands also plays a role. I had clients who raised "feeder" cattle to sell to a feedlot and I had a client who owned feedlots, who bought those feeder cattle, fed them and then sold what are known as "live cattle". If a feeder cow costs, say $400 and a live cattle sells for, say, $1300, so that is a profit of $900, less the cost of feeding that cow. That is where grain costs come in. There is a formula. But the prices of feeders and live cattle are always changing. Weather plays a role, like if it is too cold, it limits the births of what will become feeder cattle, thus the price will go up. If too high, the feedlot owners cut back on the number of cattle they are feeding, leading to higher prices for the live cattle, thus higher prices for the retail price of beef. 

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

Actually CG, the cost of beef has been rising in the US for the past 2 or so years. And it has been rising here at Costco as that is US beef. The cause is more complex than just the one input, grain costs. Drought in parts of the prime grazing lands also plays a role. I had clients who raised "feeder" cattle to sell to a feedlot and I had a client who owned feedlots, who bought those feeder cattle, fed them and then sold what are known as "live cattle". If a feeder cow costs, say $400 and a live cattle sells for, say, $1300, so that is a profit of $900, less the cost of feeding that cow. That is where grain costs come in. There is a formula. But the prices of feeders and live cattle are always changing. Weather plays a role, like if it is too cold, it limits the births of what will become feeder cattle, thus the price will go up. If too high, the feedlot owners cut back on the number of cattle they are feeding, leading to higher prices for the live cattle, thus higher prices for the retail price of beef. 

I agree it was rising. I over-simplified the reasons, because I didn't feel it was worth getting into a tedious discussion, but I could probably dig up the two recent reports I read from reputable sources discussing this issue and other goods who's prices are going down. Here's a quick look at an article from Time, focusing on beef: http://time.com/money/4242022/beef-burger-prices-cheaper/

before christmas in austin texas at Randalls grocery, part of the safeway chain, a standing rib roast was $6.47 per pound, USD. it was choice grade and tender and perfect. a 16oz prime rib, choice grade at abuelos restaurant that specializes in this twice a week was 25 dollars. the one at home tasted better somehow.

Archived