Chapala.com Webboard

Anybody got a combo washer/dryer? Opinions?

Ferret

I am referring to the ONE machine that both washes and dries clothes. If anybody has one, I would appreciate your comments on how well it works.

LG, Samsung and Daewoo all make them and they are available here.

I remember having one in '84 that was a Miele but also remember that, at that time, it took three hours to complete a wash/dry. Hoping for an improvement.

Opinions welcome please.

I have a LG electric w/d  The secret is not to fill it to the brim, We turn it on when we go to bed, as it is very quiet, and in morning we take out clothes, permanent press comes out great, we leave ours run three hours, but you can choose how long it drys

I've used various brands in apartment hotels where they are common and always found them useless.  As you say, the cycle is REALLY long, you cant wash and dry at the same time so if you have multiple loads, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r.  They never seem to dry as well as the standalone dryer.  I would definitely not recommend.

We have an "Equator Clothes Processor EZ3600 CEE" Ventless Condensing Dryer in our cabin. These were expensive but it is 20+ yrs old, SS drum. We do not use the dryer often, a clothes line is much more efficient. Washer in use every other day, small loads are wonderful. Highly recommended.

Originally installed in larger motor yachts & sailboats

We had an LG in our other condo in PV and yes it takes a long time, yes you have to wash more often, but we loved it. The condo could not have a vent for a normal dryer and this solved having to take and pick up clothes to a lavenderia. Normal washer and dryer are much easier but it all depends on what your alternatives are.

QUOTE: We have an "Equator Clothes Processor EZ3600 CEE" Ventless Condensing Dryer in our cabin. These were expensive but it is 20+ yrs old, SS drum. We do not use the dryer often, a clothes line is much more efficient.

Just a question, then: was this a realization after the purchase, that you don't really need the dryer? Which kind of obviates buying a combo unit in the first place.

I found a lot of comments about combo units, too: uses water to condense the moisture during the drying cycle, which can add several gallons of water consumption; a combo unit only allows 50% of its capacity for drying, so a full load always has to be split in two; if something inside malfunctions, you are without both washer and dryer; very long drying time, using lots of electricity.

My own dryer is gas-based... it probably consumes the most gas of anything I do here, so I'm curious about gas vs. electric.

Thanks for the comments...keep 'em coming please.

I also have a situation where a vent is a problem. I also have a septic system and the front load aspect means less water.

I guess I'll have to call BestBuy and ask...but have I incorrectly assumed that the "dry" part is gas?

I do like to hang the clothes to dry but they're stiff as a board and do need a 5 minute dryer to soften 'em up.

This is the one that I'm looking at... http://www.bestbuy.com.mx/landing-promociones/hogar/especial-linea-blanca/lg-lavasecadora-18-kg-blanca.html?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=w08-09

15 minutes ago, Osoprehistorico said:

I have an over and under unit and works just fine.  You can wash simultaneously.

I have an over/under unit. It's doing a real number on my back...also uses a LOT of water...and requires venting. No thank you.

We bought normal front loading washer and gas driver when moving in to our new home. We stacked the units and have normal load and timing. You do need a a ventilated area with gas... 

The main problem with these units and I've experienced them in Europe, is the time taken - you can spend all day doing laundry with one.  You can't just open the door during the drying cycle and pull out some things you just wanted the creases shaken out of  - they are just plain inconvenient.

The dryer is electric, 220. If you have a maid to take and pick up your clothes to a lavenderia that might be the way to go. Trouble is they come back with bleach stains way too often.

2 hours ago, bournemouth said:

You can't just open the door during the drying cycle and pull out some things you just wanted the creases shaken out of  - they are just plain inconvenient.

Is the machine door somehow locked, that prevents you from doing that? How weird.

44 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Is the machine door somehow locked, that prevents you from doing that? How weird.

Yes - there might be danger from hot clothes!  But remember, this was in Europe and maybe their regs are more restrictive.

Archived