Chapala.com Webboard

Corkage Charge

lakeside7

Wine corkage charges

$250.00MN at Hacienda del Lago

No charge at Don Quixote!

La Mesa - last time we were there it was $100.00MN

Restaurants, perhaps to the surprise of some....... are in business to make money.  Some have limited resources and stock a minimal wine inventory as a result.  If you want to take your own wine then inquire about the corkage charge when you make your reservation.  If you're unhappy about the amount then pass but remember that here at Lakeside where the majority of restaurants charge between $175.00MN to $350.00MN for a bottle of "middle of the road" wine you're paying about double what that bottle would cost you at La Paz if you purchased in "case quantity" to obtain the 8.3% discount.  There are some restaurants here at Lakeside that sell wine for up to five times their cost.  Many buy "jug" or "box" wines and sell it by the glass and.........a lot of their clients simply don't care.....it's wet!  Paying a restaurant to chill, open a bottle, provide glasses and service must certainly, by anyone's standards, be worth $100.00 to $150.00MN.

Hacienda del Lago's corkage charge is hefty.   On our last visit the first two bottles of $500.00MN white wine that we ordered from their menu were "off" and undrinkable.   

16 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Wine corkage charges

$250.00MN at Hacienda del Lago

No charge at Don Quixote!

La Mesa - last time we were there it was $100.00MN

Restaurants, perhaps to the surprise of some....... are in business to make money.  Some have limited resources and stock a minimal wine inventory as a result.  If you want to take your own wine then inquire about the corkage charge when you make your reservation.  If you're unhappy about the amount then pass but remember that here at Lakeside where the majority of restaurants charge between $175.00MN to $350.00MN for a bottle of "middle of the road" wine you're paying about double what that bottle would cost you at La Paz if you purchased in "case quantity" to obtain the 8.3% discount.  There are some restaurants here at Lakeside that sell wine for up to five times their cost.  Many buy "jug" or "box" wines and sell it by the glass and.........a lot of their clients simply don't care.....it's wet!  Paying a restaurant to chill, open a bottle, provide glasses and service must certainly, by anyone's standards, be worth $100.00 to $150.00MN.

Hacienda del Lago's corkage charge is hefty.   On our last visit the first two bottles of $500.00MN white wine that we ordered from their menu were "off" and undrinkable.   

"anyone's standards" aren't.  By mine, $150 is way too high.  $250 is over the top.

Wine prices at some places are "outrageous". I feel much better in general towards restaurants that DON'T skewer the customer. :wub:

On 6/23/2016 at 6:50 PM, lakeside7 said:

Yves charged my friend 70pesos

In the past at Yves, when 5 of us were sharing a bottle of bubbles, the corkage fee was 80 pesos, which seemed reasonable to me as the restaurant provided 5 glasses and a cooler filled with ice for the champagne plus did the pouring.  We had no complaints at that fee.

I'm not sure the comment that "restaurants are in business to make money" is germane to this conversation. The reason Richard's is less re: corkage is because they were most happy selling good meals at reasonable prices, and were not too interested in making money from liquor, which is the raison d'etre for many restaurants.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it seems fine to me to charge a fee...I wouldn't bring a bottle unless it was a special bottle and I am happy to pay a service fee to handle it and service the table with glassware and time...Otherwise, I just buy a bottle from their list and support the owner and the establishment. I love picking a bottle out at Nanette's (sp?)  and drinking it there...

Archived