Chapala.com Webboard

Living Abroad Changes You

CHILLIN

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

This is a Huffington article that makes some interesting observations about what happens to your outlook if you live abroad.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/how-living-abroad-will-ch_b_10591530.html?yptr=yahoo

Interesting article, but most of us haven't had, or have in the present, the option of doing that.  Most find themselves with jobs, careers that don't permit that kind of lifestyle and/or family ties that bind. Achieving maturity changes you; becoming an elder with bodily limitations changes you:  LIFE itself does so, big time.  Yes, I do know some people who have gone directly from smartass teens to old age without stopping off at maturity.  To be avoided like a plague of mosquitoes.  :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, gringal said:

Interesting article, but most of us haven't had, or have in the present, the option of doing that.  Most find themselves with jobs, careers that don't permit that kind of lifestyle and/or family ties that bind. Achieving maturity changes you; becoming an elder with bodily limitations changes you:  LIFE itself does so, big time.  Yes, I do know some people who have gone directly from smartass teens to old age without stopping off at maturity.  To be avoided like a plague of mosquitoes.  :rolleyes:

I think living abroad makes you appreciate life more...you appreciate some of what you left behind, and more of what you have in your new home.

I benefited from about 35 years of international travel for business.  I spent from 3 days to a week or more multiple times in:  Paris, London, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Munich, and Milan.  I became familiar with my business associates and friends daily routines and leisure time activities.  To say I learned a lot would be an understatement but a few things stand out;  Europeans and Asians don't waste time discussing the price of gasoline, the weather, or how useless their government is.  Business is NEVER discussed over a meal or on the golf course.  These are times for getting to know each other or strengthening existing relationships. Everywhere I travelled I found people taking time to enjoy life, leisure, the arts, music, sports, and their families.  Much different overall than Americans it seemed to me.  I learned a lot about enjoying life and always taking vacations every year to recharge from the stress of work.  I also learned that "the way it's done in the USA" is not always the best way and certainly not the only way!

"To say I learned a lot would be an understatement but a few things stand out;  Europeans and Asians don't waste time discussing the price of gasoline, the weather, or how useless their government is.  Business is NEVER discussed over a meal or on the golf course.  These are times for getting to know each other or strengthening existing relationships." (El Saltos)

People who are brought up to practice courtesy in the U.S. don't discuss those topics with people in casual relationships, either. Let's admit it:  many other nations seem to have a higher courtesy score in general than the good old U.S.A.  It has nothing to do with being born rich or poor, either.

I envy your opportunity to have had those experiences all over the world and get paid as well.  Plus, plane travel was more tolerable in past years than it is now.

I was also fortunate enough to enjoy both military and civilian years abroad, mostly in the Middle East, Aftica and Asia.  I quickly learned that there was so much more to learn, but that the demands of my employments just did not allow enough time. So, I “dropped out“, sold home and cars and bought a schooner, learning to navigate with a sextant and, within a year, we were off on an adventure at sea, which took us from the cold waters of Maine and the Maritimes, through the Panama Canal and on into the South Pacific.  Even living at Lake Chapala could not beat those experiences, but they sure did help me to enjoy Mexico even more; through more experienced eyes and with a better sense of the “real world“.  I am fortunate, now, to have all of those memories of places, and of people in those diverse places. I am certain that El Saltos shares similar emotions as he looks back upon his travels.

Living and working abroad strengthened my personal relationship with myself. I found that my ways, sense of humor and values were easily shared with most Mexicans.I can be myself. I traveled by car to Belize in 2004 to seek it out because it was English speaking. But along the long journey, the incredible experiences I had in Mexico made me inadvertently fall in love with the country. So after renting a house in Belize for a month, I packed it up, and toured around the Yucatan, Oaxaca, and back up through the central parts exploring so many towns, each one holding a different fascination. It is the land of gracias. People are always thanking each other for the smallest kindnesses. I find culture shock on this side of the border.(USA) But sometimes one has to return for family matters, etc.

After this experience, I found a way to work there and returned for three different stints. I made friends with all the unique challenges and embraced it. It was difficult at times to say, navigate visas without lawyers or whatever, but I love these challenges over the ones I face right here right now in the states. 

I am just trying to defer retirement so the Social security check will be a little higher and I can come back with some padding. But if things put me over the top here, I may throw in the towel and take the smaller amount and run. I miss Mexico and can hardly wait to come back. Just trying to do it smart so I never have to come back here to USA.

Guest bennie2

america has changed. its become a nation of nosey bigmouths w/no boundaries. this includes all ages. i lived in the middle east for 3 months. it was very damp & cold much of the time in december. not condusive to health, but very interesting. the other countries were long vacations in my teens & twenties. nightclubs shopping looking around. visits dont count, as you have no responsibilies. ajijic is a hick town. the lack of culture/intellect makes me appreicative of where i came from & the other places i have traveled too. traveling thru south america w/connecting flights is still far superior than flying thru the US by plane. that is an understatement.

Archived