Chapala.com Webboard

drinking water testing service

Can anyone direct me to a water testing service?  I'm interested in having my home tap water tested for bacteria, heavy metals, pesticides and other contaminates.  I currently have a purification system with two filters and an U-V light in operation but I would like to find out how effective it is.

There are a number of labs around Lakeside that will test water for bacteria but getting tests for heavy metals, pesticides and other contaminates is more difficult. There was a lab on the way to Guadalajara (by the Hampton Inn?) called Laboratorio de Calidad del Agua that did 76 different tests but the last I've heard is that it is closed to the public now. Let us know if you find one that does tests besides for bacteria.

43 minutes ago, ajijicbound said:

I checked 3 or 4 labs last year and they only check for bacteria. I wanted to know arsenic levels. No such luck.

Don't worry about it. According to research by Dr. Stong, Chapala tap water has high arsenic levels but Ajijic tap water is well within accepted levels. His article on the subject is available online. Sorry I don't have the link to share.

[Yes, it's the same Alex. When the forum was reformatted, my screen name was changed to alex45920 and I can't figure out how to change it.]

Interesetingly, I went to SIMAPA a few months ago and spoke to the director. I asked him for the mineral composition of the water in any one of the wells that are used in Ajijic - He had no idea.  I asked him to find out, which he agreed to do, and after about 5 visits over a period of 3 months - he still could not find out the answer - amazing.    By then I gave up.

Thanks to all for their input...I'll try a local lab and report back how it goes down.  Also I found a test kit sold on Amazon for $30 that tests for "lead, iron, copper, pesticides and bacteria" as well as others...but not arsenic.  After I try it out, I'll get back with the results.

ABC Labs and Amycsa Labs in Guad can do it all  There are about 3 ire labs - but I dont recall names

The tests to do are NOM-127 - They test for metals, agri chems, etc and coliform/bio....

The entire set of about 30 tests is about 10,000 MN.

These are the same tests run against public wells in Jalisco

At one time the gob lab woud do the tests for private wells - but no longer.

Good luck

Archived