Chapala.com Webboard

House sharing?

Hello-My husband has just retired and we are looking at spending some time in the area and we are just wondering if people rent out a room in their house? We are planning on taking a trip down there in Sept and if we like it we will try to rent but just wondering if people ever just rent out a room in a house? Is this possible? Also would love to know where we could stay in the area without a car and be able to stay for a maybe 3 weeks so would need something affordable. We are not picky just something clean and close to the main part for walking purposes. Thank you for any help. We would love to make some connections before heading down as well. The area looks really nice and I have heard people are very friendly and helpful. 

We came to Lakeside last summer and spent a month. We stayed at the Casa Blanca hotel and they gave us a significant discount for the time we stayed... You might wish to contact them at

800 436-0759   www.casablancaajijic.com

I agree. Hotel Casa Blanca is ideal for your purposes and right in town near the plaza and Lake Chapala Society where you can meet a lot of expats and chat them up about the area.  And with an extended stay, you can get a good rate on a room there.  The lobby manager, Meredith, is very helpful with finding things and helping you get to where you want to go, too.

11 hours ago, snorkelmom said:

Hello-My husband has just retired and we are looking at spending some time in the area and we are just wondering if people rent out a room in their house? We are planning on taking a trip down there in Sept and if we like it we will try to rent but just wondering if people ever just rent out a room in a house? Is this possible? Also would love to know where we could stay in the area without a car and be able to stay for a maybe 3 weeks so would need something affordable. We are not picky just something clean and close to the main part for walking purposes. Thank you for any help. We would love to make some connections before heading down as well. The area looks really nice and I have heard people are very friendly and helpful. 

Suggest you post what you want in the classified section.  People do rent out parts of their homes.  You can also rent a casita.  There are many options. 

14 hours ago, snorkelmom said:

I have sent you a PM about a lovely home on the lake in central Ajijic.  

There are numerous listings on www.AirBnb.com for Ajijic.  They range from huge houses to single rooms and have many casitas listed.  Prices range from $20 to $200 at night. 

You have to consider your budget.  I personally did not use AirBnB because it came out more expensive than finding something locally.  We stayed at a B&B for a short time while looking for something else. It would be good to know how long you intend to stay upon your first visit.

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

You have to consider your budget.  I personally did not use AirBnB because it came out more expensive than finding something locally.  We stayed at a B&B for a short time while looking for something else. It would be good to know how long you intend to stay upon your first visit.

Three weeks or so is mentioned in the OP.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:37 AM, snorkelmom said:

I sent you a pm regarding a lovely home - second house up from the lake on a quiet street, just off Colon. In the center of old Ajijic you can walk to all the shops & restaurants. You would have a large bedroom, TV room/den and large bath.  The center of the house has a modern well equipped kitchen, dining area, living room and courtyard with patio furniture.   The owner has her own private suite at the rear of the home. 

Archived