Chapala.com Webboard

Parking ticket - don't know why

Received a "sobrebanquete" parking ticket in Guadalajara yesterday (3276 pesos!), but have no idea why as there were no obvious indications that this was a spot one shouldn't park (unless blue parking lines mean something?)  Ticket states that after 3 days one accepts the ticket.  Is this something we can fight (where and how?) or should we just go ahead and pay (there is no 50% discount on this one).  Can we wait until January when we renew registration or will it cost more then?

Photo attached of the spot.  We were parked between the lines over the flagstones and up against a fence at the front of the spot.576982aaed91f_Parkingspot.jpg.cfa5f82639

The picture doesn't give enough information to can say it clear. More view from surroundings would help. But it looks like you would be obstructing the sidewalk (crossing) which is the entire right side of the photo if i'm correct. What street(s) was this? Knowing that we might be able to see it on Google Streetview to see why the parking ticket was issued.

If you mean the dark person then yes you were blocking the sidewalk and the ticket is valid. Even if there isn't a sidewalk visible it doesn't mean there isn't a sidewalk. It is still there but it looks like a parkingspot because the business rebuilt it. But pedestrians still should be able to walk freely and that would be impossible in your case. Next time look to both sides if pedestrian can still walk in a straight line. If they can't, you are blocking the sidewalk. Even though other people do the same it doesn't mean you aren't doing it wrong. 

Lately they are checking pretty much in especific this kind of infractions with the program "banquetas libres":

http://portal.guadalajara.gob.mx/programa-banquetas-libres/

From my experience,  it is a time consuming and frustrating process to deal with transito in Guadalajara. Those sidewalk blocking tickets are $$$$!

If you do decide to challenge it, you go to the transito office at the "glorieta de transito". It's at Alcalde where Avila Camacho starts. Little to no parking around!

As far as I know, you can pay it when you pay for your tarjeta de circulacion in January. 

I've been to busy shops with parking like this all over Guadalajara, and have been told by shop owners "just park on the sidewalk. They won't do anything, because there's no other parking". And I have, and have yet to be ticketed. I've watched transitos drive by while standing by my car. This ticket must have been the result of a phone call...

Remember this program is run by the administration of Guadalajara not by the the state. That is why transito don't do a thing about wrong parked cars as they only look for other infractions and mostly only want to fill their own pockets. That is why the city of Guadalajara took action and started this program. The city officers are passing in groups of a few people the streets looking for situations like this and not by phonecall. So you might be lucky computerguy. But I wouldn't risk it. It is a expensive multa.

Archived