Chapala.com Webboard

Not so Good

Halfglass

Went to one our favorite places in Chapala the other night for dinner. The Cozumel restaurant down by the Malacon.  Right away I noticed the great guacamole was not offered on the table, but refried beans instead.

I ordered the arrachara steak which I have had in the past and have to say one of the best I have had in the area, and my wife ordered the red snapper fillet.  

Well what I received was not worth eating. The presentation was different and the meat was almost not eatable. My wife got a whole deep fried fish of some kind, also not very good. 

I asked the waiter, who I did not recognize if the place was under new management. He told me it was and that he was the son of the new owner.  I told him how displeased I was with the meal and had him put the whole mess in a doggy bag so I could take home and feed it to the boys, Carter, Lucy, Molly & Shelby.  They liked it.

Not sure I want to go back and try again, cold baked potato and a piece of meat that was no better than the tongue of my tennis shoe.

Wondering if anyone else has had this experience? Too bad I really liked the place.

A group of 8 were there last Thursday and we all commented on how good the meal was.

We all ordered seafood.

The complimentary appetizers were refried beans with cheese and pico de gallo all served with chips.

As usual unlimited wine and margaritas were complimentary.

Went there during the heatwave for campechana -- which I have ordered and enjoyed many times on the coast.  Felt that Cozumel, of all the local fish restaurantes, would do a decent job of it.  NOT.....tasteless, not much in the way of seafood -- even adding hot sauce and catsup it was still terrible.

Campechana is normally:   Mexican seafood cocktail usually made of oysters, baby octopus, mussels, shrimp, squid and scallops.The seafood mix is prepared in its broth with vegetable juice, lime juice, ketchup, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, avocado and cilantro

Whatever my friend and I were served, it wasn't campechana -- just a tasteless soupy mess with very little seafood

Too bad we aren't big drinkers or we could have made up for it in drinks -- but only 2 margaritas each

I won't be returning....

We went there last week, I ordered Salmon trout which Ihave ordered for years, It came deep fried and greasy, I sent it back and shared my friends bacon wrapped shrimp, we then had room to get gelato on way home,  we will never go back there after ready the other bad reviews 

My wife and I have eaten there for six years and have always had a good meal, with one exception. Once, my red snapper was a bit overcooked and I mentioned it to Geraldo, our waiter. I ordered it the following visit and it was fine. Yes, Ramon the owner died earlier this year and I haven't seen a difference. I will say that I haven't been to the restaurant in a month.

I am always suspect when a review comes in that is so diametrically opposite to my experience. We will visit Cozumel's next week and I will write on this thread about our experience.

Dan, please let us know what your opinion is.

As I said in my post this was one our favorite restaurants also. Very un happy with the new owners.

My wife and I would hit there every two weeks or so. You could call us regulars.  

Halfglass

My wife and I just returned from a late lunch a few minutes ago. I ordered the red snapper. Carole was going to order the arrechera, but the waiter said that it was a little on the thin side and recommended the rib eye or the New York strip. She ordered the rib eye and medium rare. My red snapper was done as it should be, moist and tasty. It came with rice, salad, fruit. Carole's rib eye was cooked as she ordered and flavorful as well. It came with salad and a baked potato, which was just fine. We were served re-fried beans with cheeze and chips. A little later were were given the fresh pico de gallo. When we asked about the guacamole, we were told that the avacados were expensive right now and so they were not providing the guacamole.

On the waiters, César was there and two young men. Geraldo is on vacation and will be back in a month. His son, Andres, was one of the two young men working there. On ownership, Don Rámon the patriarch died earlier this year. I saw him only occasionally when we visited the restaurant. His daughter, Margarita runs the restaurant and has since we first went there in 2010. As you enter the restaurant, she sits at a table at the back left. Margarita's son, Pedro, sometimes waits tables. I do not see him there that often, but then I almost never go for "dinner", only lunch/late lunches. 

I really can not understand Halfglass's comments. It's as if we ate at two different places. I've never had a meal as bad as he describes since I've lived on the Lakeside, poor yes, atrocious no. Years ago I read a business piece about car purchases. When someone liked a car they told about 12 people, when they disliked their car purchase they told 28 people. What we say and how we say it matters.

To those who enjoy Cozumel's, nothing has changed. The food is still good as is the service.

Daniel and Carolina

On 6/21/2016 at 8:33 AM, Halfglass said:

I am glad to hear an objective report and am sure that others who like Cozumel will continue to dine there.  We enjoyed it regularly for over a decade.  Always good food & service & the complimentary margueritas were pretty good too.

Thanks to Chapala Dan for his review. It sounds like his knowledgeable waiter kept from him ordering something he would be un happy with.  Wish that happened to me.

We will go back and try again. But not right away. Too many other great places to dine.

Halfglass   

• 2 weeks later...

We ate there a week or two ago, had a mixed molcajete, good as always.  We missed Geraldo but his son gave us good service.  I spoke briefly to Margarita and she asked us to post our opinion of the food, as she said that some people had been saying terrible things.  So, here ya go, we eat there once or twice a month and have not noticed any changes in the food.  But, we usually eat the same 3 or 4 dishes, so can't really provide a substantiated review of the whole menu.  Bottom line, it's our comfortable, "go to", take visitors to, kind of restaurant.

We ate there yesterday evening and it was great as usual. We have eaten at Cozumel at least once a month for years and there has been little change in quality or price during that time. I almost always order the whole red snapper and my wife orders the trout filet. They are always great! Where else can you get a whole red snapper and all of the margaritas that you want for 150 pesos? 

On 6/21/2016 at 0:33 PM, tomgates said:

We have had good meals there for years. Sorry for your experience!

Tom you might have missed the part where the OP said "I asked the waiter if the place was under new management. He told me it was and that he was the son of the new owner.

I have also had good meals there in years past, but the "under new management" status renders our previous good experiences moot. :-/

Archived