Chapala.com Webboard

RENTING AND MEXICAN TAXES

I am a permanente resident who is thinking about renting out one of my houses. I do not want to run afoul of the Mexican tax office. Do I have to register somewhere or do something to legally charge rent for a property I own? I am a full time resident of Mexico. 

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I was planning to rent in pesos. I live here permanently and it would be too much of a hassle to get into USD checks or cash and trying to either bank the money or exchange it. Trying to figure out the exchange rate in pesos would be too much of a problem for lazy me.  :huh: I do wonder, Ajijic_Hiker, why you ask. Just wondering...not a loaded question or anything like that. 

My friend Rony of this board has introduced me to a Mexican accountant who is familiar with this topic and he will guide me through the process at a minimal monthly fee. Thanks, El Salto, for the reminder to let immigration know about my collecting rent. Through no fault of my own I was approached by them about owning a store here (???I do not and never did!!??) and it was a bit of an experience showing them that I had nothing to do with the store. In fact, the Mexican store owner couldn't figure out why or how I got on their radar. It turned out ok but made me realize that, in spite of what my gringo friends told me, Immigration from Guadalajara does in fact sometimes show up at your residence unannounced to check your immigration status and card and, at least in my experience, brings a "paddy wagon" with them. I hope that it was some kind of "show of force" but it was unnerving for both me and my neighbors to see the wagon and two uniformed Immigration officers spend nearly three hours with me checking out my residence (inside and out on the street) and calling in the Mexican store owner to provide his license, citizenship card, store paperwork, etc.  

Yikes!

As noted, register with SAT; inform INM and wait for approval (it is not automatic); INM will need your cedula as well (your personal square scanning code issued by SAT); obtain an accountant.

For receipts etc: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/etc..html

saludos

Sonia

The tax rates are not that bad, better to comply and support the Mexican economy.  Here is an example of how little taxes are if you rent your home.

Assuming you rent your home for 24,000 pesos a month.  You can deduct expenses or get a straight 35% deduction which is 7,700 pesos leaving you with a taxable net of $14,300 pesos which you will pay tax of 1,945 pesos income tax (ISR).  You are still clearing 22,000 pesos.  There are tiered tax brackets starting at 1.92 percent and rising with income here in this example part is paid at 23.52% tax rate at the highest and the tax rates cap at 35%.  You can also write off the property taxes along with the 35%.

1 hour ago, Intercasa said:

The tax rates are not that bad, better to comply and support the Mexican economy.  Here is an example of how little taxes are if you rent your home.

Assuming you rent your home for 24,000 pesos a month.  You can deduct expenses or get a straight 35% deduction which is 7,700 pesos leaving you with a taxable net of $14,300 pesos which you will pay tax of 1,945 pesos income tax (ISR).  You are still clearing 22,000 pesos.  There are tiered tax brackets starting at 1.92 percent and rising with income here in this example part is paid at 23.52% tax rate at the highest and the tax rates cap at 35%.  You can also write off the property taxes along with the 35%.

My information is that one has to pay also IVA and occupancy tax?

IVA is paid on furnished rentals.  Some can get into the incorporacion fiscal scheme and if done right pay even less.  Occupancy state tax would be if short term.

Archived