Chapala.com Webboard

ATMs at HSBC

RickS

I stopped at the bank and was told if you have a foreign ATM card you can't get money via a teller but you have to go somewhere else. 

We have an HSBC account.

Yesterday I was told the ATM's would be replaced in two weeks.  If you have an account you can withdraw funds at a teller, with id.  No account, no withdrawal using another financial institution's ATM  card.

I can handle flack, and can also still learn more Spanish, or any other language I choose. I am a firm believer in the fact that the only excuse is laziness; unless one is already starting into dementia. In the latter case, it is said that learning new languages may have helped to prevent, or slow the onset of the condition.

Anyway, this thread is a typical example of expats not even wanting to try to solve their own problems, then putting the blame on locals.  Why blame the bank for upgrading the ATM machines with a few days of no machine service, yet a willingness to provide cash at the counter?  Come on folks! You moved to Mexico willingly and you knew that you might have to adapt to your new environment. At least, I hope you knew that.

Being as accommodating and kind to Mexicans as they are to you might make life more enjoyable.  Smile more. You cannot smile and be angry at the same time.

There was another thread on ATM's on here re: Walmart and Scotia and I gave some advice which was helpful to me after talking to my bank. But in light of what went on in that thread and the same in this one,I give the info to my friends and people I know only. I removed my posts from the other thread. Carry on,carrying on.

When I arrived in Mexico 19 years ago, I assumed that it would not be that hard to learn Spanish, so I tried to learn it. I found it to be much harder than I could have ever imagined. But after some 19 years I can kind or sort of mumble in bad Spanish. However if I had believed that it were impossible, I would not have tried and wouldn't have learned much more the Hello or goodbye

The biggest problem here is that you don't have to learn Spanish, so many never try. Or when they try, they are so old that there memory isn't that good. (Oh and I am at that age that for about every one new word I learn, I forget one I learned several years ago. So I do understand that at a certain age, there is no point in trying.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

I can handle flack, and can also still learn more Spanish, or any other language I choose. I am a firm believer in the fact that the only excuse is laziness; unless one is already starting into dementia. In the latter case, it is said that learning new languages may have helped to prevent, or slow the onset of the condition.

Anyway, this thread is a typical example of expats not even wanting to try to solve their own problems, then putting the blame on locals.  Why blame the bank for upgrading the ATM machines with a few days of no machine service, yet a willingness to provide cash at the counter?  Come on folks! You moved to Mexico willingly and you knew that you might have to adapt to your new environment. At least, I hope you knew that.

Being as accommodating and kind to Mexicans as they are to you might make life more enjoyable.  Smile more. You cannot smile and be angry at the same time.

You're still being awfully judgemental about other people's abilities to learn a new language.  In my case, I have acute hearing loss (not improved with hearing aids), so it is very difficult to understand what is being said.  But I also try as hard as I can to fit in with the locals here......I smile, and appreciate everything they do for me.

Get off your high horse, RVGRINGO, and realize that not everyone can do what you can, and vice versa!

35 minutes ago, suegarn said:

You're still being awfully judgemental about other people's abilities to learn a new language.  In my case, I have acute hearing loss (not improved with hearing aids), so it is very difficult to understand what is being said.  But I also try as hard as I can to fit in with the locals here......I smile, and appreciate everything they do for me.

Get off your high horse, RVGRINGO, and realize that not everyone can do what you can, and vice versa!

suegarn very well said. RV has a very simplistic view of things and has no idea of how languages are learned or not learned. For some adults it is virtually impossible. It has nothing to do with laziness. To learn to speak a language can be accomplished by hard work. But to learn to hear it is quite a different matter. Like some people cannot hear small differences in music. The same part of the brain cannot break a long string of speech into individual words. If people spoke with word clouds above them it would be much easier for many to get the meaning. I can speak perfect Spanish to some and they understand it but their reply can be quite a different matter. Many don't reply in proper Spanish but use a lot of slang with grammar errors. 

This is away off topic.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

suegarn very well said. RV has a very simplistic view of things and has no idea of how languages are learned or not learned. For some adults it is virtually impossible. It has nothing to do with laziness. To learn to speak a language can be accomplished by hard work. But to learn to hear it is quite a different matter. Like some people cannot hear small differences in music. The same part of the brain cannot break a long string of speech into individual words. If people spoke with word clouds above them it would be much easier for many to get the meaning. I can speak perfect Spanish to some and they understand it but their reply can be quite a different matter. Many don't reply in proper Spanish but use a lot of slang with grammar errors.

This is away off topic.

VERY well stated Cedros. It's off topic but important.

My hubby stayed all one summer with his grandmother so that he could retake the French exam...he was 15. There was no English spoken all summer and she was an excellent teacher. He got 50% in the make up exam. He was also tone deaf and couldn't carry a tune.

Being able to communicate in another language is a gift to be treasured but not flaunted. Everyone's capabilities are different.

On the subject of the thread...I do think that a little advance notice by the bank would have been good customer relations on their part. It's not as if people who use the ATM's are not paying customers that can be ignored.

Yes flaunting in not nice.

There is a new manager at HSBC. He seems quite helpful. When I was there today I was going to ask him if they could consider giving advance notice for such things. He was busy but I will catch up with him.

We all make mistakes when posting and especially about learning another language. For some reason when I studied Spanish in HS for one year I got a D. Yet today I can manage speaking pretty bad Spanish.  I had a friend who was hard of hearing during his final years and there was no way he could hear well enough to learn to speak Spanish. And we all figured that there was no point for him to learn how to read it ( He had terminal Cancer and didn't have that much time left)

RV has helped us so many times giving great information that he should be greatly appreciated.  We all make mistakes. And I am sure he has learned from your comments just like I did a while back when he needed to chastise me

Getting back on topic, I sure hope the Scotia Bank ATM will be working soon. (As I shall be back lakeside in a week)  But just in case it isn't, I have a backup plan to wire funds to my Mexican Bank Account if necessary.

23 minutes ago, johanson said:

We all make mistakes when posting and especially about learning another language. For some reason when I studied Spanish in HS for one year I got a D. Yet today I can manage speaking pretty bad Spanish.  I had a friend who was hard of hearing during his final years and there was no way he could hear well enough to learn to speak Spanish. And we all figured that there was no point for him to learn how to read it ( He had terminal Cancer and didn't have that much time left)

RV has helped us so many times giving great information that he should be greatly appreciated.  We all make mistakes. And I am sure he has learned from your comments just like I did a while back when he needed to chastise me

Getting back on topic, I sure hope the Scotia Bank ATM will be working soon. (As I shall be back lakeside in a week)  But just in case it isn't, I have a backup plan to wire funds to my Mexican Bank Account if necessary.

johanson, calling everyone 'lazy' for not learning another language is not 'a mistake'!  And saying that expats don't want to even try to solve their own problems?  I think that RVGRINGO needs to apologize for stereotyping and insulting people!

Wow this is really off topic.  I think it has been answered about HSBC ATM machine

learning Spanish is definitely another topic and no one will be satisfied. Some learn it and others do not.

you must do what is right for you and let others make their own decision.

40 minutes ago, Fred C. Dobbs said:

I try to be parsimonious with my comments, due to the various delicate and wavering constitutions of many a board-member, but I take great personal offense to RVGringo getting abused.

He, (of many well-meaning, experienced, and commonsense posters - here's lookin' at you, Johanson ;)) has done more over the years to enlighten the Gringo masses (washed and unwashed) to the intricacies and subtleties of life at Lakeside.

I appreciate that everyone has the right to their opinion - to the degree that we all also have a particular anatomical feature - and the right to express it. However, RV has been a steadfast supporter of our community of both expat and Mexican-national alike through almost 6,500 posts. To dismiss his advice before trying it, is to put a bullet into one's foot willingly.

Respectfully, if anyone needs to apologize for insults it is Ms. Garn.

RVgringo is not getting abused. He is being somewhat abusive in his assumptions. He IS and HAS BEEN enormously helpful on many forums, not just this one, on many subjects and I highly value his opinion. But he ain't perfect and none of us are either.

Look up on the internet how language is learned; how some people are good spellers and why; why some people are good at math. Being LAZY does not come into the equation at all. He's the one who is being presumptive and insulting....still luv 'im though.

11 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Is it time for Spanish lessons?  If you cannot ask a simple question, please don‘t complain.  The local folks are delightful and very patient with less than perfect Spanish from expats.  This whole thread needs an “attitude adjustment“. 

Only Jrod and Cedros acted in a civilized manner and were kind enough to provide the answer to those who felt so unjustly inconvenienced. Why did‘nt they ask, when in the bank? They would have been served at the counter with a smile.

For one thing, RV, some of us just read the news on this thread and weren't at HSBC to inquire what's up. I, for one, didn't "complain" but expressed surprise. An attitude adjustment? Time for Spanish lessons?  I'm so tired of you scolds. Pardon me, but I am. What's so wrong with wondering why HSBC couldn't/didn't put up a simple note saying the ATMS would be back? Yes, I'd have understood it in Spanish.

Lexy

29 minutes ago, Lexy said:

For one thing, RV, some of us just read the news on this thread and weren't at HSBC to inquire what's up. I, for one, didn't "complain" but expressed surprise. An attitude adjustment? Time for Spanish lessons?  I'm so tired of you scolds. Pardon me, but I am. What's so wrong with wondering why HSBC couldn't/didn't put up a simple note saying the ATMS would be back? Yes, I'd have understood it in Spanish.

Lexy

Thanks, Lexie. Everyone has their own ideas about things, but for RV, the Mexicans and Mexico can do no wrong, and the expats are always wrong. 

Archived