Chapala.com Webboard

ATMs at HSBC

RickS

I went by the HSBC bank across from Wally today (Monday) to get some pesos.  Walked in and..... THERE ARE NO ATMS!!!

The space/place where they were at the entrance is now just a red wall. You can kinda see where they were, but no more.

Did anyone see this coming?

This definitely is a disaster until they get the Scotiabank ATM up and running.  I've been using the HSBC ATM's in the meantime, but now what?  I've tried a couple of times to use the CI machines, but they don't want to accept my Scotiabank card!

47 minutes ago, suegarn said:

This definitely is a disaster until they get the Scotiabank ATM up and running.  I've been using the HSBC ATM's in the meantime, but now what?  I've tried a couple of times to use the CI machines, but they don't want to accept my Scotiabank card!

Also try the Banamex machine, next to the Bancomer ATM in Walmart. Also there is a 

Banorte machine in El Torito.

A disaster ?? Orlando was a disaster.  Driving a few extra blocks until HSBC and/or Santander ATMs are replaced is a minor inconvenience. CIBanco charges much lower fees and is only a block away. Also SuperLake has a Multiva ATM.

9 hours ago, Oldyfeliz said:

There is a HSBC ATM in Soriana , and one in Santander on Hidalgo next to the stoplite  in Chapala

There wasn't a HSBC ATM in Santander a few weeks ago. Also both places are out of the way for me.

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

A disaster ?? Orlando was a disaster.  Driving a few extra blocks until HSBC and/or Santander ATMs are replaced is a minor inconvenience. CIBanco charges much lower fees and is only a block away. Also SuperLake has a Multiva ATM.

A few extra blocks!?-you need a map. It is extra kilometers with terrible parking in Chapala but great parking at HSBC. Parking close to the ATMs is a security issue of course. I pay no fees at the HSBC ATMs but I do at the others. I can also take out more at HSBC-14,000 vs a lot less. Also there are two ATMs at HSBC so if one is not functioning or is short of money the other is usually okay. A huge difference overall. Hopefully HSBC is just replacing the ATMs-not phasing them out.

Orlando is a long way from here.

I just phoned the bank (766-1484, press 5 for "personal") and the gentleman who answered told me that they are replacing the ATMs, which will be set in concrete sometime the week of July 4. Meanwhile, ATM customers can take ID, their immigration card, and their ATM card to the teller window and make their transaction.

jrod that is what they told me also. I wonder. I will try it and see what happens. I can see that working if you have an account in that HSBC but what if you are accessing a foreign bank.

That's good to know. Thank you for sharing the information. Not all of us have cars and while it was easy to use the bus to get to HSBC, I also enjoyed the "just right" distance walk. Nice to know they will be back soon.

Thanks for doing that Jrod, So it seems  there is no need to panic. So for HSBC clients, we just have a couple weeks minor "inconvenience" (lol) of having to talk to a human at the bank to make a withdrawal while they remodel. Hey, maybe it's  a nice way to get to know the people who work there. They really are very nice. The rest of you who bank elsewhere, well, ....there is always Walmart, Bancomer etc etc, or you could become an HSBC client if you find them convenient while your own bank is less so.....?

Is it time for Spanish lessons?  If you cannot ask a simple question, please don‘t complain.  The local folks are delightful and very patient with less than perfect Spanish from expats.  This whole thread needs an “attitude adjustment“. 

Only Jrod and Cedros acted in a civilized manner and were kind enough to provide the answer to those who felt so unjustly inconvenienced. Why did‘nt they ask, when in the bank? They would have been served at the counter with a smile.

I don't feel comfortable using the ATMs at Walmart or at El Torito.  I've heard too many horror stories of people being ripped off by the machines.  Bancomer at the Ajijic plaza is convenient, but it only lets you take out 2000 pesos at a time, and it has the highest fee.  Also, like a couple of other people have mentioned, I don't have a car, so going into Chapala is not as convenient for me.

53 minutes ago, Semalu said:

Thanks for doing that Jrod, So it seems  there is no need to panic. So for HSBC clients, we just have a couple weeks minor "inconvenience" (lol) of having to talk to a human at the bank to make a withdrawal while they remodel. Hey, maybe it's  a nice way to get to know the people who work there. They really are very nice. The rest of you who bank elsewhere, well, ....there is always Walmart, Bancomer etc etc, or you could become an HSBC client if you find them convenient while your own bank is less so.....?

But as a matter of customer service, a somewhat outdated concept I find these days, it would have been helpful if a notice had been placed where the machines used to be or on the door as you enter the bank.  The notice could even have been in both Spanish and English and before you all tell me that we should speak Spanish, please remember that, at least in the US,  notices regularly appear in both languages as a matter of convenience. and courtesy.  End of rant!

CIBanco machine lets you take out whatever your home bank lets you take out and the fee is small.    In a pinch it is a big help to have it there when your usual ATM source is not available.

RVGringo do not lecture people about learning Spanish.  Learning a new language is not easy when you are older.  Many have tried and did not get very far.  Some of these folks may not have lived here very long or have hearing deficits.  You do not know their circumstances.

When you moved here it was easier to learn Spanish as most of the local residents did not speak English and you heard Spanish wherever you went.  The Mexicans learned English when the great influx of foreigners began in 2003 to better their ability to do business.

At the age you were when you moved back to the US if you did not know English how easy would  it have been to start from scratch then?` 

Archived