Chapala.com Webboard

Last Night's Weird Storm

tombo

Around midnight late Saturday/early Sunday night we experienced a strange storm here in Ajijic--almost constant lightning flashes, but without any of the crashing thunder you would expect, just a constant growling noise accompanying blasts of wind. We're wondering if any meteorologists or weather mavens can provide an explanation.

We seemed to get a lot of rolling thunder later in the season last year. If I recall it went on and on with intermittent lightning flashes. There was a discussion regarding the non-stop thunder last year that you may want to refer to.

I was awakened by one of the dogs seeking refuge by my pillow, frightened of the sheet lightning and the rolling thunder. I don't remember a storm like that in the almost-10 years I've been at Lakeside, but maybe I have forgotten.

Thunder, lightening, and torrential rain like my husband says he hasn't seen since we had hurricanes while living on the Texas gulf.  He was amazed at the strength.  Me?  I slept through it and never heard a thing.  My husband said the thunder was so loud he thought a train had crashed.  He thought I must have died since I didn't move in bed.  But I definitely slept though the entire thing.  

1 hour ago, bezerk said:

I found it to be just a windy torrential rain as we usually have in rainy season with some thunder and lots of lightening.  Nothing really strange.

Same here in upper central Ajijic. Just another one of the expected....not weird, just part of the variety of types. No CRACKS of thunder directly on top of my head, but they'll be here soon enough. :o

45 minutes ago, adolphsj said:

What's with these women?  Mine was the third in this thread to completely sleep thru it....?

Compared to most mens snoring, a severe thunderstorm is merely background noise :)

Personally, I wear ear plugs and didn't hear a thing.

I regret that I sleep like a rock and miss most of the really good storms, but the night of this storm there was a clap of thunder so loud that I was certain lightening had struck directly outside our bedroom window. Scared the crap out of us! Five minutes later I was fast asleep. 

19 hours ago, Alfa said:

Did anyone else get the tremendous clap of thunder that happened during the storm the night before? It was so loud here in upper Chula Vista it nearly knocked us out .of bed.

Oh yeah! It wasn`t even like a regular thunder experience, different sound, like I was inside the thunder. Partner said I jumped off the bed 2 feet. Never experienced anything quite like that before.

Here on the mountain side at Rancho del Oro, I found the storm exactly as tombo described.  I don't recall any loud clashes of thunder, as one would expect with the constant lightening flashes, but rather a continuous, eerie-sounding midnight howl with strong wind gusts and driving rains.  I too thought the storm as unusual (okay, a bit "weird") and rather foreboding.

It almost seemed as if we were experiencing the storm from inside the cloud vs. underneath the cloud.  Is that even possible?

Archived