Chapala.com Webboard

Western Union

Zeb

I looked on the web for locations to receive funds via Western Union.  I then went to one location (one in Chapala) to ask what type of ID was needed to receive funds and all I got was a blank look.  Anyone know?

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Soriana, Walmart. Need passport, IFE, or Imigration card

I don't believe Walmart handles Western Union.  They do MoneyGram.  Several banks are Western Union agents als.  As far as I know all Western Union agents locally except Banco Azteca inside appliance store in Chapala only receive transfers but do not send them.

I know a few people who have used both Western Union and Moneygram. WU often declines to release your funds to you, allegedly as a part of their efforts to combat online gambling and you will never get the funds -- even though you and the sender have no relationship whatsoever to online gambling. Forget about customer service. They cannot help. The sender will get the funds back eventually. (Google "Western Union declined transaction") It is a huge problem. I have never heard of anyone having the same problem with Moneygram.

Pick up Moneygram at Walmart at the service/returns counter, a maximum $1,000 USD I believe. I know the Farmacia Guadalajara near the Monte Carlo Hotel in Chapala dispenses money for Western Union, but often their system is down and may have a limit ($10,000 pesos?)  Banco Azteca in Chapala processes Western Union with no limit (other than whatever WU sets.) There are two of them by the Plaza almost across the street from each other. If the system is down on one side of the street, it may be working across the street in their other location.

I have no idea what the WU signs are at Oxxos are all about, as they do not process money transfers to my knowledge. WU does not do telegrams any more. Years ago when I worked as a lobbyist, I used to send congressmen telegrams to get their attention. They got thousands of letters per day, but only one telegram, mine. (And, they always read it.)

As for sending money via WU, I always use Banco Azteca.

A sign at the Farmacia Guadalajara at the pharmacy cash register (where they process WU transactions) states that you must now have two forms of ID and list even your CURP card as an eligible 2nd ID. I would think a passport and driver's license would be sufficient or perhaps, much to my never ending amusement, a phone or electric bill in someone else's name, but at your alleged address! <g>

26 minutes ago, johnajcha said:

the best is Banco Azteca - there you will have the least problems getting your money. Passport, Western union number and the senders name. Thats it

I think you are correct. I now remember having sent money to that location for someone to pick up and it worked fine.

Archived