Chapala.com Webboard

Best Mexican Consul in U.S. for Permanente Process

Hi. I had an hour session with an immigration consultant yesterday about options for applying for permanente status. I am ready to move forward with the process but had heard nothing but negative things about working with the local Mexican consul in the Seattle area where my legal domicile is established. She said that I can apply at any consul in the U.S. and that some have much better reputations for offering (and honoring) scheduled appointments as well as making the process a fairly quick turnaround. If I understand correctly, the usual process is an initial interview and doc presentation, followed by a return visit to pick up the visa several days later. Does anyone have a specific recommendation on a U.S. office they used? Of course, I understand that there has to be a visit within 30 days here in Mexico, but I'm fine with that part.

Thanks for your information.

Las Vegas Mexican Consulate. My 2 friends, a married couple, got their RT visas in 90 minutes the same day in October. They only wanted to see $1,000 USD monthly deposits in their 12 months of bank statements.

The Consulate in Laredo was a good experience.  In June of 2014 we made an appointment, drove up from Ajijic, stayed overnight.  Got in the line at about 8:00AM, showed them our 6 months of bank statements (no translation required), received our visas about 10:00AM and then went shopping.  They were friendly, surprisingly quick to answer my emails to make the arrangements; English is excellent.

ADDRESS

Mexican Consulate General in Laredo, United States

1612 Farragut Street
Laredo, TX 78040
United States

TELEPHONE

(+1) (956) 723 6369
(+1) (956) 723 0990

FAX

(+1) (956) 723 1741

EMAIL

consul@srelaredo.org

WEBSITE

consulmex.sre.gob.mx/laredo/

OFFICE HOURS

08.00-17.00

HEAD OF MISSION

Mr Miguel Angel Isidro Rodríguez, Consul General

Good Luck.

My wife and I applied for and received our initial Permanente and Temporal visas in Seattle. The process took about 3 hours (due to their lunch break). We had all of our documentation in a binder and were very well treated by the staff... I would really recommend that you try Seattle... Just make sure you have all your documents....

Laredo is flexible as well as Phoenix and Las Vegas.  My ex secretary from my Guadalajara office finished her law degree and moved to Vegas so she can walk you through the process there and check your situation before you go if there may be any issues. 

As noted Vegas and Laredo with no need to return and totally done in 90 minutes. But go prepared with an appointment for each person. In other words 2 appointments for a couple. Also each person needs: form completed, photo and financials. The requirements and links are here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration.html

Once done you have 6 months to enter Mexico and as noted then 30 days to start. Be sure to obtain an FMM when entering Mexico and have it marked CANJE and not tourist. Also, obtain a car permit (TIP) if driving. I have known several who came through at Laredo and just kept driving with no FMM and no TIP only to be sent back to the border.

saludos

Sonia

I have sent two friends (from Seattle and Atlanta) to Phoenix to do the process.  No appointment necessary, can take the light rail ($4 round trip regular fare, $2 senior over 60 fare) from the airport stop to within three blocks of the consulate on McDowell Road, can get the pics right across the street if you don't bring them with, takes about 30 minutes.  My one friend had cut his time a bit short because he went shopping at the CVS at the light rail stop and when he told them he couldn't wait 60-90 minutes for the visa, they sped it up and he had it in 15 minutes and he returned the same day.

I went through the document review process at the Seattle consulate two years ago. I thought the process was quite smooth. The application procedure described on their web site, https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/seattle/index.php/english/visa-requirements , was accurate. If you supply the materials requested, there should be no problems.

The only problem that I encountered, was the criminal background check that was required then. I'm not sure that is still required. The document can be obtained from the Wa State Patrol on-line, but the consulate would only accept a certified copy. So after a quick drive to Olympia, I had the certified copy in hand and had the documents approved the next day.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a criminal background check being required.  I did mine in 2013 from here through Spencer and my friends did theirs in 2015 and 2016 in Phoenix without that requirement.  Could consulates be that different in imposing their interpretation of the rules?  I do know that they sometimes use different formulas for the income requirement.

Maybe ten years ago, when going to the Seattle Consulate, I too had to drive to Olympia, our state capital to get my certified criminal background check paperwork. I was sure glad that the state capital is only about 60 miles from the house.

I hope that if you live near the Los Angeles Mexican Consulate, that you are not asked to drive to Sacramento to get a certified copy of this paperwork.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived