Chapala.com Webboard

US Notaries

The notaries from the Consulate come Lakeside every month. They go to the American Legion first and then to LCS. It's fifty USD for each signature. You need to get a bank check from CI Banco. Check the Consulate website for exact dates. https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/guadalajara/lake-chapalaajijic-services/ PM me if you want more information.

17 hours ago, lcscats said:

The only legal US notaries are at the Consulate.  Certain exceptions for international business exist but US notaries are licensed by the state and can only sign in that state and partner states.

I have had it done several times before by Carol and Yvonne

1 hour ago, garmemorial said:

I have had it done several times before by Carol and Yvonne

They took your money and performed an illegal act, as they are not authorized to act as notaries public in Mexico, or anywhere outside of their issuing state.  I imagine that they winked and said, “Now that we are in California....“, or something close.  In the event that the document were to be challenged, you both might have to prove where it was actually signed.....Unlikely, but possible; yet it was fraudulent, wasn‘t it?

53 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

They took your money and performed an illegal act, as they are not authorized to act as notaries public in Mexico, or anywhere outside of their issuing state.  I imagine that they winked and said, “Now that we are in California....“, or something close.  In the event that the document were to be challenged, you both might have to prove where it was actually signed.....Unlikely, but possible; yet it was fraudulent, wasn‘t it?

You have been in Mexico a while

I know you

You should know nothing is illegal in Mexico

47 minutes ago, garmemorial said:

You have been in Mexico a while

I know you

You should know nothing is illegal in Mexico

LOL Where did you come up with that idea? I doubt very much you are even close to being correct. Elite entitlement is for some, not all, very powerful and wealthy Mexicans, not everyone with a few dollars to spend. Read the news and keep your eyes open and learn.

55 minutes ago, garmemorial said:

shame on me

55 minutes ago, garmemorial said:

shame on me

Yes, despite your insults about Mexico, in the States, you are a felon with probable legal consequences for each of your illegal acts, in addition to having any or all of them invalidated should anyone notify the authorities of your legal name and transactions you falsified.

Let's not insult people.  The population has been so totally brainwashed into obedience that it is quite amazing.  We're so used to doing as we are told that we don't even question it and then get on someone's case when they don't follow suit.  I am sure I will get grief for these comments as well.  It seems every little thing is turned into a crime and yes there are potential consequences.  When you really step back, you see these are all pieces of paper for which we are forced to pay money to the "authorities" so they can provide more pieces of papers to their liking.  It seems no one questions these ridiculous rules and "laws". 

For a crime to be committed, in fact, there must be a victim who is hurt.  In this case the person would only become a victim because some government official would make a stink for not getting their permission.  They would have to be told and I certainly wouldn't be the one to do it.

I don't see how anyone is harmed if the notary is not physically in a particular spot.  It's just a bunch of government controlled bureaucracy with fees attached. 

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I don't see any mention of the notary falsifying the actual documents.

When notarizing the notary fills in the location and local time and who was present during the signing. If they put the Mexican location on the page then I would guess there would be no fraud. If they put a US location on the paper then that would be considered fraud.

1 hour ago, El Saltos said:

It's easier, and legal, to have the signatures witnessed by a Notario!

A MX notario quoted me $1200 pesos to witness a signature on a bank document and a US person here with a notary seal quoted me $200 pesos.

maw

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

I don't see how anyone is harmed if the notary is not physically in a particular spot.  It's just a bunch of government controlled bureaucracy with fees attached. 

A US  notary is given power by a state to verify signatures. A US Notary for the most part has no right to sign in Mexico.  They have no power here .   Being a notary does have an element of honesty attached to it so a Notary signing outside of legal area that they are licensed in is kinda very not cool.  My wife was a notary, mobile notary, real estate broker, and lawyer.  She would never notarize outside of her authority.  She wouldn't think of it and she is no goody two shoes however she does honor her word.  A notary should not sign outside location of her/his  authority. It doesn't matter if anyone is harmed.  You take an oath when you become a notary.

I spoke to one of the U.S. notaries mentioned here and she said she would not do it. My husband's pension is at stake here so we don't fool around. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you have bought 20 peso burned DVDs, use KODI to watch pirated content or are having to use a VPN to watch content that you shouldn't be able to watch while living in Mexico, you are on the wrong side of a law. 99% of expats living here are doing this. You are no better than the evil notaries. No one disputes this. 

The OP asked a question and the first response gave the accurate answer. Everything else is basically just a 'dance around'. Now, of course, all are allowed to dance on a forum ever how they wish, but the fact still remains.... lscats has the correct answer.

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

Carrying through with SoxFan's logic, if you buy pirate DVDs you are no better than shoplifters, robbers, kidnappers and embezzlers. You are all on the wrong side of a law. 

Pretty much. Stealing is stealing, no?

This is not about stealing it is about legal or not legal in USA. I don't have a problem with what you folks do just do it with an open mind to the legal question and how important it could be.  We disliked paying $100 for two signature at the Consulate in Guadalajara when the perfectly legal  Mexican Notary paperwork was rejected by the county in California just like anyone would. But I would like to point out the US California county accepted the Consulate Notary stamp which says it all to us when trying to get things done.

Peace  

Archived