Chapala.com Webboard

B of A ATM fees w/Banco Santander

bournemouth

Just a heads up - I got this from a northern Mexico site and it is taken from a B of A answer sheet on International ATM use:

• Banco Santander (Mexico) Beginning August 15, 2016, if you use a Banco Santander ATM in Mexico for a withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry, our Non-Bank of America International ATM usage fee of $5 and Santander ATM operator access fee will no longer be waived.

BofA sucked off me for years, charging sundry fees until I flushed the parasite and hooked up with a credit union.  Now that I'm in Mexico, I've found that Santander is pretty much the same, and in general Mexican banks are even worse than their U.S. counterparts.  Any suggestions from any old timer expats on where to do bidness?

There are many internet banks and credit unions in the USA offer checking accounts for free and that will pay your ATM fees worldwide. I have a Fidelity bank account. They pay all my ATM fees. You can also deposit checks by taking a picture with their app. 

In Mexico I use Bancomer. Never had a problem. Their 800 number help in English is excellent. . I have their Gold Visa, and earn enough points to cover the fee 3-4 times over every year so the card costs nothing. I maintain a balance large enough in the checking account to pay no fees..  

• 4 weeks later...

To avoid both the $5 BOA ATM usage fee and the Santander (or whatever bank) ATM operator access fee:

Use your BOA card at a Scotiabank ATM, although the 3% BOA international transaction fee will remain.

For BOA's official announcement and description:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-atm-fees.go

Scroll down to:

Using your ATM card or debit card at an international ATM

click on:

What is the Global ATM Alliance?

(here's the relevant text:)

Bank of America is a member of the Global ATM Alliance, a group of financial institutions that has created the world's first international ATM alliance.

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card within the Global ATM Alliance to avoid the non-Bank of America usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry,footnote1 as well as the ATM operator access fee. An international transaction fee of 3% will apply when converting your currency.footnote2 Only ATMs in the countries listed below are considered part of the Global ATM Alliance.

Global ATM Alliance Partners: ... Scotiabank

Coverage Area:

Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile and the Caribbean including: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Maarten, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands

[RE: Banco Santander - Mexico]

Note: Beginning August 15, 2016, if you use a Banco Santander ATM in Mexico for a withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry, our Non-Bank of America International ATM usage fee of $5 and the Santander ATM operator access fee will no longer be waived.

An international transaction fee of 3% will apply when converting your currency.footnote2

Footnote 2.

This fee is assessed as a separate transaction fee on the posting date of the withdrawal.  The international transaction fee may be waived for certain account relationships. Your deposit account statement will reflect the US dollar equivalent of your foreign ATM withdrawal.

5 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Why use a bank/card that charges ANY fees when there are options that charge NO fees?

If you're a resident of Mexico and not the US, it seems you can't open accounts at domestic U.S. banks, especially internet ones.

Archived